Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

Steady as she goes - tied 4th. One really good round would be a massive step as tomorrow is likely to be moving day.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

Bronte Law is the leader after birdieing 11 of her final 14 holes yesterday including 9 in a row. She has started today with 3 birdies in a row.
    That is -14 for 17 holes across 2 different courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Pity the mods dont change the the thread title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

Dbu wrote: »

Just thinking the same myself. Ridiculous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

mattser wrote: »
    Just thinking the same myself. Ridiculous.

Welcome to the golf forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Dbu wrote: »

I was waiting until (hopefully) she gets her tour card and was going to rename it “Leona McGuire - EuropeanTour player”

Tied 6th after a level par 4th round.
    Leona seems to be scoring better on the course that will be used for the final round so hopefully that will help her move back into the top 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

T5 with 4 holes to play, -4 under today. Might grab that better card if she finishes top 5. 2 shots ahead of 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Tied in 5th pos on -12 coming to the closing few holes. Crunch time. Lets go Leona!

Edit: now on -13 and in 5th pos on her own.
    Edit2: still in -13 But back to tied 5th place
    Edit3: last hole, she's birdied this every day. A par will keep her in joint 5th, a birdy for solo 5th. Anything worse then a par will drop her out of 5th.

Birdie on the 18th to get 5th outright. Otherwise a play-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is it not ties?

First Up wrote: »
    Is it not ties?

No only 5 places outright for this category.

Par on 18 so looks like a 2 way play-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Playoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Congrats Leona. Brilliant achievement. A credit to Irish golf.

Brian Keogh reporting on twitter that Leona won the playoff with a birdie on the first hole.

https://twitter.com/IrishGolfDesk/status/1075771867858796545

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks nice, where is that?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to her. Hope she has great year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

slave1 wrote: »
    Looks nice, where is that?

Morocco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leona finished tied 14th in Australia at the weekend on the Ladies European Tour, 2k richer. Hopefully keeps momentum going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

It's great to see Irish women tour players back in the mix again. She did a podcast two weeks ago btw https://podcast.iseekgolf.com/

However...and maybe I'm being overly critical...but I was hoping that her entry into the pro ranks would be more explosive than it is.

Now don't get me wrong -its great that she is making progress and cuts etc but I just think that she is capable of more -at least based on her stellar amateur career. Perhaps it simply underscores how tough it is out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It takes time. You have to get used to the travel, being organised is so important.
    All the little things like staying in the right places, having the right foods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Absolutely takes time. Always thought she made the sensible move to stay with her amateur career, finish college when the easiest thing would have been to succumb to the hype and set off on the pro circuit. Just look at the situation with Lydia Ko for comparison, winning majors and breaking records at 17, now struggling and looking slightly forlorn at 20. Golf is a long career, never any rush to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Any chance a mod could fix the spelling of her name in the thread title? /ocd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Beaulieu wrote: »
    It's great to see Irish women tour players back in the mix again. She did a podcast two weeks ago btw https://podcast.iseekgolf.com/

However...and maybe I'm being overly critical...but I was hoping that her entry into the pro ranks would be more explosive than it is.

Now don't get me wrong -its great that she is making progress and cuts etc but I just think that she is capable of more -at least based on her stellar amateur career. Perhaps it simply underscores how tough it is out there..

I agree, I think all the food/travel piece was taken care of with her college circuit but missing out on her LPGA card has forced her further afield, it would have been a lot smoother had she a US based schedule

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

fullstop wrote: »
    Any chance a mod could fix the spelling of her name in the thread title? /ocd

Fixed

Going well again this week in the Symetra Tour opening event. Currently 3 shots off the lead and in the top 10 midway through the 3rd round

The leader is 14 year old Alexa Pano who appeared in the Netflix documentary The Short Game a few years back

T4 going into final round in Florida tonight, 3 shots off the leader. Hopefully a better finish than she had last week at the very least.

• Advertisement

5th place for Maguire this week, round of -1 to finish 4 off the winner. Going the right way.

Advertisement