Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

She should have won by more, her driving let her down. Hopefully she get this sorted as winning in a playoff is pretty disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

She should have won by more, her driving let her down. Hopefully she get this sorted as winning in a playoff is pretty disappointing.

What utter nonsense!

Yeah, great if you win by 4 or 5 shots and everything goes perfectly. But winning is rarely easy and never disappointing.

And winning a playoff against a player who is carrying the greater momentum is a super achievement which will stand to her hugely in the future. Won it with a birdie too. Great bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

What utter nonsense!

Yeah, great if you win by 4 or 5 shots and everything goes perfectly. But winning is rarely easy and never disappointing.

And winning a playoff against a player who is carrying the greater momentum is a super achievement which will stand to her hugely in the future. Won it with a birdie too. Great bottle.

Think the sarcasm detector needs to be switched on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Here's those final two shots. Delighted for her, more to come no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Remind me wrote: »
    Think the sarcasm detector needs to be switched on.....

Hard to know. Gorfy was back to his controversial best over the weekend on twitter too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rikand wrote: »
    Hard to know. Gorfy was back to his controversial best over the weekend on twitter too

Probably correct in those comments though

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Rikand wrote: »

Funny how different the reaction is on Twitter to a forum on the same subject. Albeit a few years apart.
    I stand by No Shows should serve a hefty ban btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Tied 11th on +1 after 2 Rounds of the
    Lalla Meryem Cup in Morocco on the Ladies European Tour.

Had 5 birdies and an eagle in her second round but 5 bogeys as well.

8 shots off the lead but only 3 shots off 3rd place.

Her sister Lisa unfortunately shot +21 after 2 rounds and missed the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lisa absolutely wasting her time... No reason to hold back saying it either. She's just not even near good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

callaway92 wrote:
    Lisa absolutely wasting her time... No reason to hold back saying it either. She's just not even near good enough.
    It could take her time but she is very talented. We'll know in a couple of years if she has it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

callaway92 wrote: »

Same could have been said about Francisco Molinari though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GreeBo wrote: »
    Same could have been said about Francisco Molinari though...

Umm, what?!

Don’t remember him propping up the field much/ever. She was dead last, and has been close to that in other events. Molinari earned his European Tour card through Q-School at the first time of asking, kept his card the following year and then won on tour the year after that. Not even remotely comparable.

I think he might have meant Edoardo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Leona ended up finishing Tied 46th on +8.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he might have meant Edoardo.

Doubt it. Edoardo was the more highly regarded of the two in earlier years, which I would assume is the point he was trying to make.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sure Frankie caddied for his bro

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

fullstop wrote:
    Doubt it. Edoardo was the more highly regarded of the two in earlier years, which I would assume is the point he was trying to make.
    Edoardo struggled for a long time.

Edoardo struggled for a long time.

He did. But again, nothing to do with the original point, which is that Lisa Maguire doesn’t look to have what it takes at this level. You couldn’t never have said that about either Molinari.

Lisa is consistently at the rear of the field for those second string tour. Come on.. stop comparing it to Molinari

fullstop wrote: »
    Umm, what?!
    Don’t remember him propping up the field much/ever. She was dead last, and has been close to that in other events. Molinari earned his European Tour card through Q-School at the first time of asking, kept his card the following year and then won on tour the year after that. Not even remotely comparable.

Turned pro in 2005 and had 14 missed cuts in 32 events that year.
    10 MC out of 25 the following year, along with a win and second.

What's not remotely comparable is writing her off after a couple of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Turned pro in 2015 and had 14 missed cuts in 32 events that year.

I’d be surprised if she got a ranking of any description to play in that number of LET events

She wasn't good enough to turn Pro for a start.

She was a very good junior golfer but seemed to lose her game in recent years and wasn't ranked in the Top 1000 as an amateur when she turned Pro.

fullstop wrote:
    He did. But again, nothing to do with the original point, which is that Lisa Maguire doesn’t look to have what it takes at this level. You couldn’t never have said that about either Molinari.
    callaway92 wrote:
    Lisa is consistently at the rear of the field for those second string tour. Come on.. stop comparing it to Molinari
    Edoardo syruggled to make cuts consistently for years.

Edoardo syruggled to make cuts consistently for years.

Edoardo was coming off winning the US amateur and winning twice on the challenge tour in his first season. He failed to keep his card, in part, due to injury and then won the money lost on the challenge tour the following year before winning on the ET. Again, not the same as propping up the field in every event.

Firstly he turned pro in 2004, not 2015, so I’m not sure if you’re talking about someone else here?!

Secondly he finished in the top 100 on the Order of Merit in his first year, and top 50 in his second year. I’ll say it again, not the same as propping up the field on the Symetra tour, especially when you haven’t even shown any form as an amateur for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭Trampas

Justin Rose you are all talking about ;)

Trampas wrote: »
    Justin Rose you are all talking about ;)

Again... he was playing literally at the top level events - missed cuts fair enough.

Lisa is playing on a second string tour and consistently propping up the field - she’s literally not good enough. Have to be real about it

Firstly he turned pro in 2004, not 2015, so I’m not sure if you’re talking about someone else here?!

Secondly he finished in the top 100 on the Order of Merit in his first year, and top 50 in his second year. I’ll say it again, not the same as propping up the field on the Symetra tour, especially when you haven’t even shown any form as an amateur for a number of years.
    He played 2 events in the 2004 season so hardly worth talking about.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Again... he was playing literally at the top level events - missed cuts fair enough.

Lisa is playing on a second string tour and consistently propping up the field - she’s literally not good enough. Have to be real about it

He was playing at the bottom of those top level events.
    Rose "literally" wasn't good enough though...until he was.

I dont think you can call time on someone's career after a handful of Pro events.

He played 2 events in the 2004 season so hardly worth talking about.

He was playing at the bottom of those top level events.
    Rose "literally" wasn't good enough though...until he was.

I dont think you can call time on someone's career after a handful of Pro events.

He still turned pro in 2004, not 2015.

Rose played walker cup and finished 4th at The Open as a 17 year old.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong about Lisa, but just don’t see it happening.

• Advertisement

He still turned pro in 2004, not 2015.

Rose played walker cup and finished 4th at The Open as a 17 year old.

I’d be happy to be proved wrong about Lisa, but just don’t see it happening.

It was a typo, I meant 2005.

Advertisement