Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

munster87 wrote: »
    Eagled the third and then double bogey on the 4th

And a triple thrown in for good measure. Now +23 and last place by 9 shots, not even remotely able for that level - 33 shots off the lead after 33 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fullstop wrote: »
    And a triple thrown in for good measure. Now +23 and last place by 9 shots, not even remotely able for that level - 33 shots off the lead after 33 holes.

You seem to be hinting at something but it continues to elude me...must be too subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A good learning experience for Lisa.

She tees it up again next week so hopefully she can improve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Paddy Last for Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's bizarre. An Irish golfer finished in the Top 15 on her tour debut and posters are obsessed with how poorly her sister played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Jaysus lads, you'd swear you never had a bad few rounds. Don't forget this is the peak of women's golf. I'm sure she'll learn and get better

Good to see Leona hit the ground running

GreeBo wrote: »
    You seem to be hinting at something but it continues to elude me...must be too subtle.

I'm sure you can work it out greenbo, you're a clever guy.

Good finish for Leona, top 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Aww greenbo, let me spell it out for you...she'll be on the sister's bag within 6 months.

Someone said Lowry will be running a pro shop a few months after he turned pro!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Someone said Lowry will be running a pro shop a few months after he turned pro!!

Wasn't me ;)

And I don't think Lowry was ever cut adrift of the field like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Wasn't me ;)

And I don't think Lowry was ever cut adrift of the field like that.

I didn’t say it was you, but someone did say it and look how wrong they were!!

But I do agree, it was a tough first event for her. Hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's bizarre. An Irish golfer finished in the Top 15 on her tour debut and posters are obsessed with how poorly her sister played.

Same as the mcllroy thread, people only post there when he's shoots a 72+, good old fashioned Ireland is alive and well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Read an article recently about Lisa and how when she arrived at Duke the coach there took a look at her swing and said that it would have gotten her through college golf but wouldn't make it on the PGA tour, and set about reconstructing it.

Safe to say that has been a complete and utter disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

ForeRight wrote: »
    Leona really is a phenomenal prospect for Irish golf. I watch a huge amount of the LPGA as I find it more relateable to my own game. The men are playing a different game altogether.

I'm really looking forward to seeing an Irish flag on the leaderboards in the women's game now.

Totally agree you really learn so much watching the women there short games are phoemeonal!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was on the Golf Channel but when they started the Live feed Leona was only shown on 18 with an eagle putt then tap in birdie.
    $25k, nice

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

3 under T7 first round for Leona on her debut on the Symetra tour (feeder to LGPA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

3 under T7 first round for Leona on her debut on the Symetra tour (feeder to LGPA)

She played the perfect round of tee-to-green golf according to her 1st round stats. The Cavan golfer hit 14 out of 14 fairways and hit all 18 greens in regulation. If she can improve her putting (33 putts today) for her final two rounds then maybe a first pro title could be on the cards. Here's hoping. Her sister Lisa is 2 over with one hole to play.

-5 today ( including a hole in one) to get to 8 under and T5th

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hole in one on her 5th pro round, wow

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Finished at -10 total, currently T3 place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Looks like she finished T15th for $24,891

Picking up $20k - $25k every week isn't bad.

http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/shoprite-lpga-classic-presented-by-acer/results

edit: whoops. that's last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

tinpib wrote: »
    Looks like she finished T15th for $24,891

Picking up $20k - $25k every week isn't bad.

http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/shoprite-lpga-classic-presented-by-acer/results

That's from last week.

http://www.symetratour.com

Tied 3rd. Joint leader in the clubhouse. 2 shots behind 2 on the course with a few holes left...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Buttros wrote: »
    That's from last week.

Tied 3rd. Joint leader in the clubhouse. 2 shots behind 2 on the course with a few holes left...

Top 10 for Stephanie Meadow too which is good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Buttros wrote: »
    That's from last week.

Correct. She won't be getting anywhere near 25k a tournament on the Symetra tour. The winners cheque is usually only about 15k. Purses usually between 100-150k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

kiers47 wrote: »
    Correct. She won't be getting anywhere near 25k a tournament on the Symetra tour. The winners cheque is usually only about 15k. Purses usually between 100-150k

Correct. It is a development tour - a stepping stone to the full LPGA. Leona's target is a top 10 finish for automatic qualification or failing that, one of the next 12 places that will allow her into Stage 2 of the qualifying tournament.

But if she manages three wins on this year's Symetra, she gets automatic entry to the LPGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thinking prize money must be pretty low seeing as she still hasn't broken the top 100 on the money list despite finishing J3 last week. At least not according to this anyway: http://www.symetratour.com/players

That would suggest to me that she'd have to go a bit if she hopes to be inside the top 10 automatic qualifiers at the end of the year. Looking at last year's list the No.10 earned just over $63k and, with just 13 events left, that would be an average per tournament of nearly $5k. Dont think top 5s or even top 3s are going to get her there on their own, she's going to hvae to win and probably twice to get there. Of course 3 wins and she's automatically in, as was pointed out above. I'm fairly sure she has the talent to do it anyway.

Thinking prize money must be pretty low seeing as she still hasn't broken the top 100 on the money list despite finishing J3 last week. At least not according to this anyway: http://www.symetratour.com/players

That would suggest to me that she'd have to go a bit if she hopes to be inside the top 10 automatic qualifiers at the end of the year. Looking at last year's list the No.10 earned just over $63k and, with just 13 events left, that would be an average per tournament of nearly $5k. Dont think top 5s or even top 3s are going to get her there on their own, she's going to hvae to win and probably twice to get there. Of course 3 wins and she's automatically in, as was pointed out above. I'm fairly sure she has the talent to do it anyway.

I'm guessing the money she made last week on the LPGA tour wouldn't be included in her Symetra tour rankings. She has plenty of tournaments hopefully to make her way up the rankings.

Edit: Looks like the rankings haven't been updated. She got $6,574 last week which should rank her between 20 - 30 range going by the latest list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Yeah its only updating today, was wondering a bit alright that she'd surely have won more than a measly couple of grand. Puts a different gloss on things anyway. If she's already top 30 or 40 after just one event, you'd think she'd expect to cruise to top 10 by seasons end. Assuming she plays in enough events that is, not sure how many LPGA invites she might have or if she'll be playing events this side of the pond that could clash.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

She is 51st on the race for a card

At a guess I would say Leona is playing Symetra tour just to play regular competitive golf in the run up to Qschool. If she get a top 10 spot then great, but if not she'll do it in q school. She got to stage 3 last year before deciding to finish college instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

At a guess I would say Leona is playing Symetra tour just to play regular competitive golf in the run up to Qschool. If she get a top 10 spot then great, but if not she'll do it in q school. She got to stage 3 last year before deciding to finish college instead

Well she's a pro now, so she needs to take every opportunity. I'm sure she is prepared for Q school but I think she'll give qualifying from the Symetra a good go of it.

I don't know if her earnings from full LPGA events are included but either way, she has the ability to qualify - thirteen more events scheduled.

Advertisement