Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

T53 for Leona Maguire on her third outing in the Symetra Tour this weekend, winning a grand total of $861. She's now 67th on the money list with 10 tournaments remaining so plenty of time to improve her position. Stephanie Meadow is still well there in 7th.

Another MC for Leona Maguire on the Symetra Tour this week. Seems to be taking her some time to find her bearings on the pro circuit.

Stephanie Meadow 2nd, beaten in a play off, another good showing that will cement her place inside the order of merit top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

It's been underwhelming at best for Leona so far. I'm surprised at that after her stellar amateur career.

Yeah, she's played a few events now and fair to say she hasn't quite caught fire yet. At the same time doubt she expected to go out on her own and blaze a trail from the off. Takes time to settle in I'd say, especially when she's been used to travelling and playing on a team basis for much of her career. No need to panic just yet, far from Justin Rose territory yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

It's been underwhelming at best for Leona so far. I'm surprised at that after her stellar amateur career.

Nonsense, she has only played 7 times and already had a top 20 finish in her first half season as a pro. Give her time

• Advertisement

Has Lisa played at all since?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

-5 today and currently shares the lead on the Symetra tour

paulos53 wrote: »
    -5 today and currently shares the lead on the Symetra tour

Good round of golf today. Currently only 13 players under par so to shoot -5 looks like good going. Hopefully that lights the spark for bigger and better things.

Nice round. I hope she entered the twos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I think back to Justin Rose and his missed 20 odd cuts after turning pro following a great amateur career. He hasnt done too badly since

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Webbs wrote: »
    I think back to Justin Rose and his missed 20 odd cuts after turning pro following a great amateur career. He hasnt done too badly since

or Harrington's amounts of runner ups before he broke through

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

+2 today leaving her -3 overall. Little bit disappointing she couldn’t consolidate yesterday’s fine round but still only 3 off the lead going into final round and still all to play for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

3 under today, lying joint third

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Another decent week for Leona. Finished T11th with Stephanie Meadow a shot further back in T14th

See they are at Stage 2 qualifying for the LPGA this week. Not a great start for Leona Maguire unfortunately with a +2 that’s going to leave her well down the field. Still 3 rounds to go, assume there’s a halfway cut though not certain. Needs to be top 25 to have a chance of reaching final stage so lot of work to do.

Fortunately there is no cut this week so plenty of time to make a move.

It seems that the top 25 & ties are guaranteed qualification to the final stage of Q School but it could go as high as 46 players.

Yeah see how it works now, kind of. Looks like top 46 is the target. Gonna need a decent under par round to have a chance, no ground going to be made today it looks like.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Yeah see how it works now, kind of. Looks like top 46 is the target. Gonna need a decent under par round to have a chance, no ground going to be made today it looks like.

She is only 2 shots off of T44th. Anything under par tomorrow will have her thereabouts

She is only 2 shots off of T44th. Anything under par tomorrow will have her thereabouts

Not sure what the course conditions are like but not all that many under par rounds coming in, both days so far. She’ll be 2 or 3 shots off the pace by end of day likely, so all to play for still for sure. Hopefully get a low score tomorrow or pressure going to be huge on final round.

Better today, -2 which looks like it’ll leave her 2 shots shy of the target which is Top 25 and ties. Probably needs same again or possibly better tomorrow to have a chance but good signs today at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Looks like she has missed out

Yeah not going to be sadly, looks like another year on secondary tour ahead. Pretty certain she’d have made it comfortably had she played more events so consider this more of a temporary blip than a disaster.

Edit: just one shot short in the end. Very frustrating, really gutted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Pro life is tough. Leona though needs to work on her length off the tee. I'm surprised but she hasn't exactly lit up the Symetra Tour even in the 10 or so starts that she has had since turning pro in the early summer.

Length off the tee is never bad but not sure it’s such an insurmountable thing on the LPGA. According to symetra site Maguire averaged above 250 yards off the tee which would put her around 100 on both tours. Sure an extra 10-15 yards would be nice but the likes of Inbee Park, Lydia Ko and Mo Martin have all won majors in recent years and they are all shorter than that. There’s no bombers mentality on lpga as of yet anyway.

But I agree pro life is tough. This time last year Leona sailed through this stage of q school but she knew she was going back to college so there was no pressure. That changed when she graduated and suddenly this is her life, her living and the support structure behind her is taken away. There’s an adjustment process and think that’s maybe what she’s going through these past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thread title needs a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

galljga1 wrote: »
    Thread needs a name change.

Completely agree! I've looked but can't see how I can do it (given that I started the thread in the first place:))

European Tour Pre-Qualifier for Leona & Lisa this week. A relatively small field of 70 players with top 38 and ties going through to the final stage next week.

Leona is -2 and T11 after Round 1
    Lisa is +2 and T39

After 3 rounds:

Leona is in second place on -12. The leader is -19
    Lisa is T39 on +4

Leona is featured in an article on the qualifying series on the ladies European Tour website.

• Advertisement

Leona is T5 on -6 after 36 holes of the 5 round Q-School event.

The top 25 earn European Tour cards but the top 5 get a much better exemption category. The leaders are on -8 and -1 is good enough for tied 25th

Advertisement