Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Still no 1 in the world, and playing the in the ladies British amateur open this week. Winner gets a spot at the Ladies British and US opens.

She qualified from stroke play, won matchplay round 1 5&4, round 2 7&6, and will be playing in round 3 today

Website for scoring and updates is pretty decent:
    http://www.randa.org/Championships/LadiesBritishOpenAmateurChampionship/MP-Leaderboard#/competition/964361/matchplay

4up after 6

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

7&6 win

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Nemesis wrote: »
    That a GUI type of emblem / flag beside her profile?

All Irish amateurs use that flag, as GUI/ILGU are island of Ireland, not just ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

martinkop wrote: »
    7&6 win
    Unbelievable.. shes like a golfing version of katie taylor, no one can live with her.
    Fantastic stuff, go on leona.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

and won 4&3 in the afternoon....semis tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Just won quarter final 4&3

Serious amount of golf over a few days

Won her semi 3&2

Currently 2 up in the final after 8 holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Tom.D.BJJ wrote:
    Currently 2 up in the final after 8 holes

Anywhere to follow this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Now 3 up after 11 in the final. Fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

4up after 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

2 up, 4 to go.

She won 3&2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Clareforliam17

Firstly I want to send the biggest congratulations to Leona on this massive achievement. From a very young age, Leona along with sister Lisa were already making waves winning several underage tournaments and even appeared on RTE news some years ago such was their potential at that stage of their lives. However it was until going to Duke university in the United States where both Leona and Lisa went on a golf scholarship a few years ago that their games changed dramatically. In Leona's case the results were instant. In her 1st year she won 3 collegiate titles with winning the lucrative Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational in back to back years a sign of her rising potential. Her world ranking went up significantly.

Even in pro events where she was competing as an amateur she was continuing her extraordinary progression. Results included the following

2nd in the European Masters 2015
    Top 25 finish in the British open 2016
    Tied 21st in the Olympic games golf competition 2016

2016 was a huge year for her outside of her performances in pro events. She helped GB&I to Curtis Cup glory over the US in Dun Laoghaire and at Mexico in September she along with Olivia Mehaffey and Annabel Wilson won Ireland a bronze medal in the World amateur golf championship. She also became the world number 1 amateur golfer, a position she still holds today.

This is an fantastic victory for her. I'm certain there will be great celebrations in Slieve Russell, her home club tonight. Finally a lot of what Leona has achieved must go to her former coach and Galway man Shane O'Grady who must be feeling a great sense of joy and feeling that he is part of the success of the pride of Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Going along nicely at -3 thru 13 in the Women's British Open, just a shot off the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Finished -3. Couple of 3-putts on the back 9 cost her a bit, but she got a nice bit of coverage on BBCs highlights show

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

One under today and finished at -4. A good chance she'll be out with Michelle Wie tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Onwards and upwards, expect a lot in the pro tour given she nearly won the French (I think) a year or so ago.
    Great stuff

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

So both of them have now turned pro, Leona just beat Lydia Ko's record of most weeks womens #1 amateur.
    The pair announced that they will make their professional debut at the ShopRite LPGA Classic Presented by Acer that will be held June 8-10 at the Stockton Seaview Hotel and Golf Club Bay Course in Galloway, N.J.

Why is Lisa turning Pro?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Exactly wrote: »
    Why is Lisa turning Pro?
    Wild guess here but maybe she wants to?

Keano wrote: »
    Wild guess here but maybe she wants to?

She's not even an above average amateur let alone good enough to play Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

A bit like the Molinari brothers, eh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Exactly wrote: »
    She's not even an above average amateur let alone good enough to play Pro.
    In your opinion. She no doubt feels she can so we will have to see how it works out for her.

Keano wrote: »
    In your opinion. She no doubt feels she can so we will have to see how it works out for her.

She is 1081 (17th Irish) in the amateur world rankings. I guess while she can get a few invites she will keep Leona company.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

She is 1081 (17th Irish) in the amateur world rankings. I guess while she can get a few invites she will keep Leona company.

Hopefully revisit this a few years from now with Lisa winning. In a recent interview Leona mentioned Lisa had gone through some swing changes and was starting to see the benefit.

Personally i hope they both do great

Personally i hope they both do great

Agreed.

• Advertisement

I get the point, her college career has been disappointing, maybe she’ll turn things around but if I’m honest I thought she’d end up on Leona’s bag

Advertisement