Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Certainly going to be on the LPGA next year, I'd be very surprised if she doesn't get invites to a lot of tournaments now.
    If she doesn't she'll break the record for the biggest earnings in a season on the Symetra tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

Also, Lisa finished tied 6th on the European Access tour in Switzerland this weekend.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

eagle eye wrote:
    Certainly going to be on the LPGA next year, I'd be very surprised if she doesn't get invites to a lot of tournaments now. If she doesn't she'll break the record for the biggest earnings in a season on the Symetra tour.

I think she gets about 26k for winning this week. Next week is the biggest prize fund of the regular season . Over 50k for the winner so assume she is playing

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

eagle eye wrote: »
    Certainly going to be on the LPGA next year, I'd be very surprised if she doesn't get invites to a lot of tournaments now.
    If she doesn't she'll break the record for the biggest earnings in a season on the Symetra tour.

By my reckoning she's now made over $73k so far this season, which would have been good enough for 5th on the order of merit last season, with the top 10 getting LPGA cards. For the record, the highest single season earnings on the tour is $167k.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Something worth pointing out - if Leona gets another win this season she's automatically promoted to the LPGA tour. Pity about that playoff last week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wonder if Solheim Cup is in the back of her mind in any shape or form now. Probably prefer to have the LPGA card sewn up completely before she gives it serious contemplation i would imagine. No way she could qualify outright, i would think, but a captains pick maybe not out of the question if she could repeat some of this form in regular season events or, even, a major. Slim chance probably, but not beyond the realm of possibility either.

She is in a league of her own on the Symetra tour so she will be capable of contending regularly on the LPGA.
    She is in the US Open and I certainly wouldn't rule out a big performance from her there.
    She is that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

I know if you win three times on the web you get a "battlefield promotion " straight to the PGA tour. Does the same happen with Symetra/LPGA?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I know if you win three times on the web you get a "battlefield promotion " straight to the PGA tour. Does the same happen with Symetra/LPGA?

Think I've heard that said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mcormcor

According the the Indo today..."Three wins in a season no longer means automatic promotion to the LPGA Tour"

• Advertisement

She is playing and think it's 45k for the winner. She has the US Open the following w/e.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

mcormcor wrote: »
    According the the Indo today..."Three wins in a season no longer means automatic promotion to the LPGA Tour"

Too many Koreans making it to the LPGA probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Miss Maguire might be worth a punt e/w at the bookies for the US Open, has anyone on here got any odds as I'm only an occasional punter and not in on the online stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Miss Maguire might be worth a punt e/w at the bookies for the US Open, has anyone on here got any odds as I'm only an occasional punter and not in on the online stuff

Nothing quoted on PaddyPower online yet, that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I wonder if Solheim Cup is in the back of her mind in any shape or form now. Probably prefer to have the LPGA card sewn up completely before she gives it serious contemplation i would imagine. No way she could qualify outright, i would think, but a captains pick maybe not out of the question if she could repeat some of this form in regular season events or, even, a major. Slim chance probably, but not beyond the realm of possibility either.

Just saw a tweet saying she is now the 17th ranked European in the world so I would say she is definitely on the radar.

Is their requirements of a certain number of LET/LPGA events to be considered for selection?

Remind me wrote: »
    Just saw a tweet saying she is now the 17th ranked European in the world so I would say she is definitely on the radar.

Is their requirements of a certain number of LET/LPGA events to be considered for selection?

Yeah, it does sound a bit of a stretch when you consider her lack of professional experience, but when you dig a bit deeper and look at the competition she's facing, it doesn't seem all that great a leap for her to be in the conversation at least. Captains do tend towards experience in their picks, but if she was to have a couple of decent results over the next 7-8 weeks i think she can put herself well into the reckoning.

As regards eligibility, it doesn't seem to be an issue if the following (taken from wiki) is accurate:

Team Europe
    Members of the European team must:

be current members of the Ladies European Tour in any category or membership;
    have played in six Ranking Events during the Qualifying Period as a member of the LET, unless selected as a Captain's pick (provided she is otherwise eligible);
    must be a "European national". To be a "European national", the player must satisfy the criteria set out in the "Nationality Policy" issued by the International Golf Federation.[5]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

For Solheim Cup, team is made up of top 3 on LET, top 5 in world ranking and then 4 captain picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Two under today in round 1 of the richest tournament on the tour. T3 at the moment.

I really don't think so, such a step up from the Symetra Tour but making the cut and a good performance and finish would be great.

Leona's currently 42nd on Solheim Cup points list after just playing 4 LET events so that's miles behind!

• Advertisement

mcormcor wrote:
    Leona's currently 42nd on Solheim Cup points list after just playing 4 LET events so that's miles behind!
    If she wins this week and puts in a great performance in the US Open she'll shoot up those rankings.

Leona having a rough week. She might be in practice mode for the US Open which would certainly affect her performance. Currently in a tie for 46th after 10, some 13 shots back. She is +3 on the day.

Another meh week for Leona.
    She scraped in on the cut line.

Been pretty patchy the last three or four weeks.

Probably done enough to make the main tour next year already but would like to see her show a wee bit more form with major next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Leona finished with a 7 under 65 to finish 10 under and tied 10th at the Danielle Downey Credit Union Classic on the Symmetra Tour.

Hopefully it is a return to form for Leona!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Leona finished with a 4 under 67 to finish 7 under and tied 16th at THE CDPHP OPEN on the Symetra Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

She certainly doesnt look out of place out there, future seems bright!

I think she has enough money made now to be fairly sure to get one of the 10 slots.
    There are 7 of 23 tournaments left and it would be fairly unlikely for 8 people to overtake her current points tally.

Little bit of a return to form for the last two weeks after a pretty meh couple of months.
    I think she’s back in Europe including something in The north,for a fortnight now, then it’s the last few symetra events.

Disappointed she's not in the Open field this week. Must have been very tight in qualifying, as looking at the world rankings, there are golfers ranked lower than her who made it through. Must have only narrowly missed the mark at the cut off point. Shame as would have been a great experience for her at this stage of her career.

She’s played opens before and has played other majors including two this year.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/gabscowley/status/1159881712282808321

Missed cut in Scotland for Maguire this week, but given conditions she had to face, that she actually only missed out by 2 shots wasnt a disgraceful performance by any means. A lot of good golfers behind her. What i saw on the tv this morning looked close to as unplayable as i've seen.

Edit: should point out that conditions cleared up dramatically for afternoon tee slots. The later starters yesterday, Maguire included, also got the thin end of the weather wedge.

Advertisement