Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl bike specials 27/4/15 inc glasses with camera

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I bought two pair of gloves (I'm forever losing the bloody things) and the mini-pump for my sons bike.. The gloves are great for the few quid, I expect the pump won't last too long but at a fiver I'm guessing it was worth it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

mrcheez wrote: »
    Built in. When I say "inserts" I just mean the standard glove padding. Found the padding a bit "generous" when I tried them first a few years ago, but now wouldn't go back.

Tks, that's what I thought, just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

I picked up the Universal Luggage Rack yesterday and I'm thinking of picking up the pannier bags now to use together. Why would the bags not be suited for the rack? that is their purpose after all isn't it?

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24058
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24081
    Sconsey wrote: »
    Not a stupid question :)

There is no rack with the bags, you have to buy it separately. I didn't see any suitable rack for sale in Lidl today (I may have missed one) so you would need to get your own rack assuming you don't have a carrier on your bike.

This rack they have would not be suitable for the bags in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Did anyone pick up the bicycle pump? Is it any good?

Did anyone pick up the bicycle pump? Is it any good?

Which one?.

I bought the mini-pump for my sons bike, its a cheap & nasty yoke but for a fiver it'll get the bike home at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Which one?.

I bought the mini-pump for my sons bike, its a cheap & nasty yoke but for a fiver it'll get the bike home at least.

The mini crivit one.I bought it anyway and have it attached to the bike. Tested it out on a tube and it seemed grand. Hopefully I'll never get a puncture and have to use it. Fingers crossed.

Can anyone reccomend a good bicycle pump actually?

Halfords own brand track pump at €26 is a fine pump.

I had one for years, it out lasted a few bikes but had to be replaced recently, I replaced it with the very same pump again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Have this about 3 years, cost less than €20 in a nike shop. Light enough to velcro strap to the road bike, never had an issue with it.

SKS Injex

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/mini-pump/product/review-sks-injex-alu-zoom-11-44546/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I tested out the glasses this morning.

Here's 1 minute of video at Christchurch in Dublin.
    https://vid.me/QE7H

The sun was very bright in my eyes at the time in case your wondering if that's just the camera not working with the light. I don't know if that matters to video quality.

Also, Vid.me might have re-encoded the video. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Slydice wrote: »

The sun was very bright in my eyes at the time in case your wondering if that's just the camera not working with the light. I don't know if that matters to video quality.

Yeah the bright light does tend to blind the camera a bit. Still you can see the car regs which is the most important point :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Impressive quality footage. It would be a great form factor if the battery life was decent. Let us know how it performs on the battery front!

Impressive quality footage. It would be a great form factor if the battery life was decent. Let us know how it performs on the battery front!

I'll need to get a bigger memory card. The 4GB limit is hit before the battery drains :)

347004.png

I think I've an 8GB ... somewhere... will see if I can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I picked up the bibshorts, very big fit on them imho.

Also, very thin material. on the white side panal I can see me fecking leg hair through the material!

I'll need to get a bigger memory card. The 4GB limit is hit before the battery drains :)

I gave it a shot to run it until it drains and got about 70 mins ... but that included a few times turning it on and off, so running purely from full to flat would be around the 75 mins quoted in the manual.

I experienced 3 weather extremes in a 60 minute ride: sunny to start, then heavy showers, then hail, then back to sunny. Good to see that the glasses survived the heavy rain despite the speaker holes being positioned on the top-side of the frame so water could get in.

The lens didn't get wet as it's recessed into the frame, which is a nice touch, so video quality remained good throughout the ride.

Wind noise is the main problem I'm experiencing, but I guess that's unavoidable.

If you want one of these, I'd wager you should look today or tomorrow as they probably won't be around much longer.. although perhaps in some remote stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

You must love work.

I, for one, am not endangering myself going there.

Nice vid all the same.

You must love work.

I, for one, am not endangering myself going there.

That video looked like an average day for any Dublin city cyclist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

mrcheez wrote: »
    Wind noise is the main problem I'm experiencing, but I guess that's unavoidable.
    Try a bit of sponge or foam taped over the mic.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Try a bit of sponge or foam taped over the mic.

In black of course :cool:

Something to keep the rain out might be good idea too

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That red light at the junction of Parliament St. was a killer. Otherwise you would had a sweet run down the hill onto an empty Dame St.

Cool video.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I got white panniers so I need to get a rear carrier to put them on. Also a pump as a spare and the neat little toolkit as a spare. I just cant pass the place when there's bicycle specials on, they suck me in every time.

• Advertisement

I found the 8GB memory card, formatted it and put it into the glasses and it worked.

I left the glasses charge by USB cable to my PC overnight. That's at least 6+ hours of charging. The charge light never went out. That was annoying. Manual says "Battery charging time" of "approx. 120 minutes". I've taken the memory card out and plugged the glasses directly into a power socket with one of those USB plugs. Will see how that goes.

I put some tape over the microphone hole beside the USB connector like this:
    347138.JPG
    (click to enlarge)

Here's a video of the same area as the first video (similar lighting conditions too) from this morning:
    https://vid.me/S9aZ
    I'm not sure, I think the tape helps reduce wind noise. Some parts of the clip sound a bit loud or grainy or something.

Finally, I used up the battery (but like I said, I'm unsure if it was a full charge). Here's a screenshot of what was on the memory card:
    347141.png
    The battery died making VIDE0004.AVI. I turned it back on and it died again making VIDE0005.AVI

That's around 79 mins to 85 mins (close to the 75 that mrcheez says is in the manual, <actually I just checked, manual says "min. 75 minutes"). It filled 6.87GB and the 8GB memory card has 7.60GB of usable space when formatted as Fat32. So I'd say an 8GB card would be the max anyone would need for the glasses on a single charge (pending confirmation on a full charge). The manual says it can take a max of 32GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I picked up the chain cleaner for 6 euro this week, tried it out tonight. Very impressed with how it grips the derailleur/jockey wheel to hold itself in place. Not so impressed with the degreaser supplied, I need to get some of that Tesco stuff I heard about on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Luxman wrote: »
    I picked up the chain cleaner for 6 euro this week, tried it out tonight. Very impressed with how it grips the derailleur/jockey wheel to hold itself in place. Not so impressed with the degreaser supplied, I need to get some of that Tesco stuff I heard about on here.

The halfords citrus degreaser is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

That's around 79 mins to 85 mins (close to the 75 that mrcheez says is in the manual, <actually I just checked, manual says "min. 75 minutes"). It filled 6.87GB and the 8GB memory card has 7.60GB of usable space when formatted as Fat32. So I'd say an 8GB card would be the max anyone would need for the glasses on a single charge (pending confirmation on a full charge). The manual says it can take a max of 32GB.

i wonder if a usb battery pack could be used to extend the battery
    something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5200mAh-Compact-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B00P8SY7HQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430429647&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+battery+pack

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slurp

Alek wrote: »
    Anyone tried their ortlieb-like panniers? Are they waterproof?

there are no ortlieb like panniers there is only ortlieb panniers

dunworth1 wrote: »

I've got a 32gb card I can try today, would be worth leaving it plugged into a usb slot and see if it can charge/record to capacity.

That would be excellent and the usb batteries would be great idea.

Incidentally on a solid run of the battery without turning on/off it came to around 90 mins, so similar to times mentioned by the other poster.

UPDATE: Hmm doesn't seem to like recording while plugged in, which I guess is pretty standard for these kinds of electronics. Darn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Tried the gloves today. The padding is great and rubberised material helps a lot with the grip. They make any bar tape upgrade pointless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

There are 5/6 bike stands in Dundrum LIDL still, if anyone is trying to get their hands on one.

Didn't see the camera glasses anywhere, though I would probably not have bought them anyway since they are not polarised. Especially on the road polarised is fundamental imo.

Fian wrote: »
    Didn't see the camera glasses anywhere

There was only one in the Lidl I went to in Dublin, perhaps they didn't think there would be much demand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Lots (4+) left in Lidl Finglas last night.

Advertisement