Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl bike specials 27/4/15 inc glasses with camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

mrcheez wrote: »
    I got a cycling top (the ones with the zip down to the chest only), but it seems to be one-size too large (I always go for "Large" but perhaps should have selected "Medium" this time).

Also it's very "long", stretches down to my calf muscles, is that normal for these kinds of tops?

A top that goes down to your calf muscles?! Are you sure you didn't buy a dress by accident?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A top that goes down to your calf muscles?! Are you sure you didn't buy a dress by accident?!

doh.. meant my thighs.

It was one of these ones: http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24095

I've never had the shirts with the pockets at the back so was curious if they tend to be a bit longer than standard t-shirts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I find the back is longer than normal to cover potential builders bum!

Thanks for the advice about the panniers - will pick some up and a stand in the LBS!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

great, just in time for the cycle against suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The cycling tops are unusually long but you can fold up the end of top. Wider than a normal size too.

• Advertisement

The cycling tops are unusually long but you can fold up the end of top. Wider than a normal size too.

I might try a size down. Same deal with the bike shorts, were a size bigger this time.

Re the universal luggage hanger/carrier I mentioned above. It is quite heavy and it can carry a max weight of 5kg. I think it is more suitable for a touring bike. I might use the elastic straps on it to tie a jacket or other stuff to the rear of my saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

picked up a helmet and pair of socks.

was tempted by the backpack and panniers but decides against

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Re the universal luggage hanger/carrier I mentioned above. It is quite heavy and it can carry a max weight of 5kg. I think it is more suitable for a touring bike. I might use the elastic straps on it to tie a jacket or other stuff to the rear of my saddle.

Five kg ain't that bad though if you think of a 5 litre bottle of water. Fine for a bag with shoes and some clothes etc.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Five kg ain't that bad though if you think of a 5 litre bottle of water. Fine for a bag with shoes and some clothes etc.

Indeed it could suit someone commuting. However you might struggle to put both it and a quick release rear mudguard on the saddle stem unless you have the saddle fairly high. It can also go on the front and might be ideal to take a laptop or work bag. Put your stuff into a dry bag and you would be sorted. It is about 500g in weight though so adds a lot to your bike weight.
    Don't know how tour bike riders get up the hills with all the weight in the panniers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I got a bike stand

whats it like? thanks

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats it like? thanks

It is still in the box. Haven't had time to open it. But it comes highly recommended from other posters here.

Re the panniers. I got the red one. It is appears to be the shortest in height but fairly wide. It also has a shoulder strap. The bags are all a bit different in sizes and features. The waterproof cover is contained in a little zip pocket under the bag.
    What are the other panniers like if anyone bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

whats it like? thanks

If you're going to service, or even wash your bike regularly it'll be the best thirty Euro you're going to spend on your bike.

I've got one and I service both my bikes on it, in fact I've used it for just about every job I've had to do to either bike ~ including a detailed cleaning/washing of the bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If you're going to service, or even wash your bike regularly it'll be the best thirty Euro you're going to spend on your bike.

I've got one and I service both my bikes on it, in fact I've used it for just about every job I've had to do to either bike ~ including a detailed cleaning/washing of the bikes.

thanks very much. i think i ll have to invest. plenty of them in my local store . assume aldi ones are pretty much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Any thoughts on the commuter helmet? I know all helmets have to conform to TUV / BS standards etc so what advantage is a say €100 Kask or Giro/ Bell etc over the likes of these? Weight? Ventilation? Comfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I bought a helmet in Lidl about 5 years ago that I still use. I then picked up a Kask on the amnesty last autumn but I still use the Lidl one for commuting.

The Kask definitely feels lighter (I've never weighed either of them), has better ventilation and looks better but equally there is nothing wrong with the Lidl one.

On longer rides the Kask will be more comfortable but on shorter stuff I wouldn't really notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

1hr 15minute commute came out at 3.4GB, large files are split into 2GB increments (file system limit). Only criticism is the absence of auto-overwriting but I knew that when buying, popping the miniSD into the phone to manually delete is a minor nuisance so happy with the purchase.

Other posters mentioned the quality, I noticed the faster you go the worse the quality seems to get.

Good value at 70 notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thanks very much. i think i ll have to invest. plenty of them in my local store . assume aldi ones are pretty much the same?

Identical, you won't regret buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

I got a cycling top (the ones with the zip down to the chest only), but it seems to be one-size too large (I always go for "Large" but perhaps should have selected "Medium" this time).

Also it's very "long", stretches down to my calf muscles, is that normal for these kinds of tops?

i quite liked the look of the full zip tops and got the missus to pick one up for me in medium (I take a large in our club gear). It fits perfect around the shoulders but is way too loose around the middle. And yes its unusually long. They don't do anything smaller than medium either so back for a refund:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

bren_mc wrote: »
    i quite liked the look of the full zip tops and got the missus to pick one up for me in medium (I take a large in our club gear). It fits perfect around the shoulders but is way too loose around the middle. And yes its unusually long. They don't do anything smaller than medium either so back for a refund:(

just eat lots and lots of cake :pac:

• Advertisement

bren_mc wrote: »

Aye. I should have bought a medium as well to test, with the intention of returning one of them.

But if the medium also stretches down too long I'll just return it.

Got a few other things though so happy overall:
    - Glasses (happy so far)
    - Gloves (on my 2nd pair now..love the Gel inserts)
    - Padded shorts (luckily chose a size down this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

It is still in the box. Haven't had time to open it. But it comes highly recommended from other posters here.

Re the panniers. I got the red one. It is appears to be the shortest in height but fairly wide. It also has a shoulder strap. The bags are all a bit different in sizes and features. The waterproof cover is contained in a little zip pocket under the bag.

Have one of those lidl stands for past 4 years still going strong. Its a great stand if you are carefully not to overload it. Re panniers. Got the white roll top ones. Have bought similar bags from both aldi and lidl in previous years and they have worked out ok. Had one rivet pop out of clip attachment. Check the clips if you buy one. Roll tops most waterproof other designs less so.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Any ideas of the stock levels on the panniers in south Dublin? Missed out yesterday. Cheers.

Can bike carriers be attached with the quick release system? Is it an easy fit. I might put one on my wife's hybrid so it can take the panniers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

- Gloves (on my 2nd pair now..love the Gel inserts)
    Are the gel inserts removeable, or are they built into the gloves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I got the Lidl panniers lin 2013. They are fine for short trips if you don't load them up. Did a proper trip with them (3 nights away) and the attachment for the top of the carrier ripped off.

I then used them as front panniers for a 2,000km trip across France last summer. Bone dry and 100% dust proof, they were attached to the bike with bungee cords. Used Ortliebs for the bigger stuff. If you're doing a lot of touring then invest money in them, they are worth the €100 or so.

Pic of the bike, Lidl panniers on the front.

10175957_10201570889633019_7508991388534636688_n.jpg?oh=40ce0d0a9fea32082fb611cede3e6dbd&oe=559BFB73&__gda__=1439845221_16ff2f3a9d6f0567dccd372f40d1c7d1
    Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Any ideas of the stock levels on the panniers in south Dublin? Missed out yesterday. Cheers.

Aldi selling panniers from this Sunday.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-3-may/products-detail-page/ps/p/bicycle-pannier-bag-set-1/

RainyDay wrote: »
    Are the gel inserts removeable, or are they built into the gloves?

Built in. When I say "inserts" I just mean the standard glove padding. Found the padding a bit "generous" when I tried them first a few years ago, but now wouldn't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Ciaran_B wrote: »

7 left in Bray @10.30 today. Not quite south Dublin but as near as I'll be today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Can bike carriers be attached with the quick release system? Is it an easy fit. I might put one on my wife's hybrid so it can take the panniers.

I got this yesterday. You can't attach panniers as there's no side to them so they'd flap all over the place. I'm going to be putting a small bag in mine on the top of the carrier. Straps that comes with it are pretty good. Quick release system quite handy and easy enough to set up-all necessary Allen keys come in box. Great buy for 10e but not for panniers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Picked up the last pair of cycle shorts in the north side Drogheda store last night. Also got a pair of the 3/4 length version too of which there weren't too many left, mainly large or xl.
    Medium fit is ok in them but hey €10.

Socks were almost all gone too as were the mini tool and bike stands. Don't recall seeing too many panniers left but not sure.

Lots of helmets, jerseys and jackets left.

Advertisement