Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl bike specials 27/4/15 inc glasses with camera

Options
  • 20-04-2015 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

See http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=470 for full list of specials, including a bike helmet AND a commuter helmet - not sure exactly what the difference is

The glasses with built-in camera looks interesting to me - helmetcamming without the bulk or distraction of a helmetcam. I don't use glasses at present, but I guess I'd get used to that fairly easily. Are these glasses a pain in wet weather?
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=24051

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I can't recommend the bike stand enough, well worth the 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Anyone tried their ortlieb-like panniers? Are they waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm going to try the chain cleaning thing. It'll probably break easily but so did my muc off one, so I wont be gutted.

The stand is top quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'm going to try the chain cleaning thing. It'll probably break easily but so did my muc off one, so I wont be gutted.

I bought it before, can't say I noticed any benefit from it. It was either that the degreaser that came with it was brutal or the bristles were too soft. I've since used the muc off degreaser and I could see the shiny metal after I applied it and agitated with an aul tooth brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ha cool, I might get those glasses for kite-boarding :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I can't recommend the bike stand enough, well worth the 30 euro.

It is great, when I bought it (with some other items) it wouldn't scan, as it was too big. The guy typed in the bar code number and it came up as a €3 Fajita Kit. I stood there with a poker face. It is class for cleaning and servicing your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

mrcheez wrote: »

Hmm, €70 is a bit much for a product with no online presence or reviews. Let us know how they work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Those glasses look good for cycling use, I wonder how light they are or whether the camera makes them impractically heavy to wear. Also curious how easy it is to activate them quickly in traffic - where is the button?

Have to say though, I could also imagine them being used in a more un-savoury way. It is not at all obvious from the photo that they contain a camera so they could potentially be used to surreptitiously record people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Would they stand up to shower or bit of rain i wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hmm, €70 is a bit much for a product with no online presence or reviews. Let us know how they work out for you.

It's a bit of a gamble all right. Their 3 year warranty is good, and they generally don't quibble about this, once you keep the receipt. It looks like the 'change of mind' facility doesn't apply to electronics. http://www.lidl.ie/en/our-refund-process.htm

I think I've found the instruction manual, which is enlightening
    http://www.lidl-service.com/static/110084650/106747_EN.pdf

jon1981 wrote: »
    The manual says;
    contact with spray, dripping water and corrosive liquids must be avoided, and the sports glasses should never be operated near water.

Does rain constitute 'spray' or 'dripping water', I wonder?
    The manual says they aren't good for winter sports - how cold does it get kite-boarding?

Fian wrote: »
    Those glasses look good for cycling use, I wonder how light they are or whether the camera makes them impractically heavy to wear.

The manual says 62g. I checked my own glasses - 26g and my sun-glasses 35g - so it looks like they are twice as heavy as ordinary glasses. I'm not sure how they relate to other cycling glasses. Would 30g be noticeable?
    Also curious how easy it is to activate them quickly in traffic - where is the button?
    The manual has a warning about not operating them unless you are stopped in traffic, which is fairly standard for all electronics. I guess the idea is that you leave the camera running all the time, as you probably won't have time to switch it on when you need it most (as you approach the car that is cutting in front of you causing you to fly over the bonnet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Alek wrote: »
    Anyone tried their ortlieb-like panniers? Are they waterproof?
    Some of the options look the same as the ones I've previously got in Aldi (The Yellow ones that are biggest in the photo). If they are the same, they have a waterproof cover in a zipper at the bottom, like a hiking rucksack might have. My aldi one's proved to be waterproof anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

I have a pair of video sunglasses which look the same as the lidl ones ,
    http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Eye_View720HD_video_sunglasses_p/eview.htm

They are pretty good , well worth €70 ,they are not as lite as regular sunnys , but I have worn them for hours without any problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭fat bloke

jon1981 wrote: »

In a shower?

Naughty. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

That black and red jersey looks nice but then they go and ruin it by printing "XTREME" down the side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

bog_savage wrote: »
    I have a pair of video sunglasses which look the same as the lidl ones ,
    http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Eye_View720HD_video_sunglasses_p/eview.htm

They are pretty good , well worth €70 ,they are not as lite as regular sunnys , but I have worn them for hours without any problem

Those look very similar.

I wonder are the lenses in the LIDL ones polarised as well - i much prefer polarised for cycling/driving.

Hmm can't go wrong with the 3 year warranty, plus I can always bring them back if they are crappy.

I bought a HD Action Camera before (albeit from Aldi) and it's served me well on the bike.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    The manual says they aren't good for winter sports - how cold does it get kite-boarding?

I only board in the sun ;) (i.e. landboarding with a kite on the beach etc)
    I wonder are the lenses in the LIDL ones polarised as well - i much prefer polarised for cycling/driving.

hmm doubt they'd be polarised at that price.

Worth a punt though, and if you don't like them just bring back for a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've one of those stands and use it regularly, a fantastic bit of kit and highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The jerseys look ok for a change. Liking the red and black and looks like they are full zip on the front

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Glasses looked interesting at first,but reading the specs-a 1 mp sensor?dunno how that would perform...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Glasses looked interesting at first,but reading the specs-a 1 mp sensor?dunno how that would perform...

It's not the size that matters it's how you use it :pac

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Will be about 720p

yeah it'll be similar to the Maginon HD Action Cam I got in Aldi a while back.

Not quite as sharp as a GoPro, but still produces pretty good vid for the price.

Example of a video snapshot (and perhaps it was good that it wasn't hi-res in this case)

346277.jpg

I think this guys shirt says "XTREME" down the side as well

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Not exactly HD though,but HD enough to pick out the crack of your mans arse!I imagine it would do ok in bright sunny conditions like we have at the mo. but would struggle in overcast ones.

It worked fine as evidence when I was knocked by a taxi, according to the Gardai that looked at it.
    It actually looks pretty clear when watching it in motion though, compared to the snapshot.

I have an SJ4000 on the rear of the bike now which is far superior, but I guess you have to spend the big bucks to get that sort of quality in the sunglasses form.

I've just scanned d'net and have found a few alternatives...

http://shop.pivothead.com/eyewear/originals/durango-glossy-black/
    (expensive but looks like higher res)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Efine-Sunglasses-Camera-Recorder-Camcorder/dp/B00GUDOAMK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1429733192&sr=8-13&keywords=pivothead
    (cheaper but doubt it has a 3 year warranty)

Apart from those, most of these appear to be 720p at the moment, but undoubtedly they'll have 1080p versions for less in a year or so.

So (unless they sell out) I'll probably try to grab one as the 3 year warranty is the clincher (and Lidl/Aldi have both been very good whenever I've had to return items within warranty)

Here's a shot in overcast conditions .. the quality actually improves.

Also at night, the video quality is almost 1080p ... not sure exactly why

346332.jpg

Incidentally I'm just assuming the glasses will be similar, they could be better/worse

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hmm doubt they'd be polarised at that price.

Worth a punt though, and if you don't like them just bring back for a refund.

Polarised lenses don't cost much, it's a con job by some brands. I got a great pair of polarised glasses for ten dollars
    Polarised lenses are also no good for kitesurfing :( they kill the top layer of chop and it's harder to spot your landing.

ted1 wrote: »
    Polarised lenses are also no good for kitesurfing :( they kill the top layer of chop and it's harder to spot your landing.

Good thing I'm kite-boarding on land so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Thinking of getting the panniers, seem good value. I have a hybrid with disk brakes, is there any particular type of carrier I should get to suit the panniers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

How much recording time would you get on a 32mb card?

EDIT: (32GB?)

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

D'oh, sorry typo.
    32GB?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Depends on the resolution I guess, I currently get about 2 hrs on 8GB on my crappy Action Shot Cam.

Advertisement