Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl bike specials 27/4/15 inc glasses with camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭devonp

sry slightly off topic

anyone know if any Lidl shops have their bike shoes left from the last bike specials offers ??

cheers

in leixlip/maynooth/celbridge area

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ranleth wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the panniers, seem good value. I have a hybrid with disk brakes, is there any particular type of carrier I should get to suit the panniers?

Pretty much any rear-fitted carrier will do.

I've been using a set of panniers I picked up in Lidl 3 years ago and can't fault them at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RainyDay wrote: »
    Depends on the resolution I guess, I currently get about 2 hrs on 8GB on my crappy Action Shot Cam.

There's more to it than just res, some cameras are very memory hungry. But memory is so cheap these days it doesn't matter much imo.

I like the form factor, but battery life would be a concern, 2 hours is what you'd want ideally, however that's asking a lot from such a device at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Aldi and Lidl bike stands, will they survive just standing on a patio in all weathers year round or do they need to be stored indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Ranleth wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the panniers, seem good value. I have a hybrid with disk brakes, is there any particular type of carrier I should get to suit the panniers?

i got a rack that was specific to bikes with disc brakes as i'd read that this was needed. looks ridiculously wide and i can't see now why i 'needed' to get the special rack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Thargor wrote: »
    The Aldi and Lidl bike stands, will they survive just standing on a patio in all weathers year round or do they need to be stored indoors?

Just looking at mine it would last if you taped a plastic bag over the top and around the middle where the height adjustment is. Essentially anywhere where it has something that moves.

Can see it lasting 3-4 years like that anyway.

Just cover it with a waterproof tarp when not in use and should be fine left outdoors

There's more to it than just res, some cameras are very memory hungry. But memory is so cheap these days it doesn't matter much imo.

I like the form factor, but battery life would be a concern, 2 hours is what you'd want ideally, however that's asking a lot from such a device at that price!

The manual linked to earlier says battery will last min 75 mins

Incidentally worth noting that the battery isn't covered by the warranty, nor can it be removed (well maybe it's possible to hack it later if required)... So the glasses will only last as long as the battery does.

Also, like my Aldi camera, the old recordings don't get overwritten when memory card is full so you have to remember to wipe the the card periodically.

This is the main annoyance I have with my camera vs my SJ4000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've left mine outside without adverse effect however they fold really small and aren't a hassle to store indoors.. In fact a sweeping brush would take up as much room!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I was thinking of getting this stand before to use for everyday bike elevated bike storeage but as the bottom legs are not flat i figured it would take up too much floor space. At the moment i just put my bike upside down on top of everything else in there.
    Would the stand be a good option for me?

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting this stand before to use for everyday bike elevated bike storeage but as the bottom legs are not flat i figured it would take up too much floor space. At the moment i just put my bike upside down on top of everything else in there.
    Would the stand be a good option for me?

The footprint dimensions of this stand are quite large. Approx 1.5 ft in all directions from central axis, so could end up taking more space than your current setup

mrcheez wrote: »
    The manual linked to earlier says battery will last min 75 mins

Incidentally worth noting that the battery isn't covered by the warranty, nor can it be removed (well maybe it's possible to hack it later if required)... So the glasses will only last as long as the battery does.

Also, like my Aldi camera, the old recordings don't get overwritten when memory card is full so you have to remember to wipe the the card periodically.

This is the main annoyance I have with my camera vs my SJ4000.

Did a bit more investigating into the sunglass video and it seems to be similar to a Maginon AC-SG1 that Aldi sold previously.

Found this review with a video (in German so use Google translate)

http://www.nostsignale.com/nost-stillleben-130525.htm

Definition in the video does seem a little bland, but that could also be down to youtube itself

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

mrcheez wrote: »
    The footprint dimensions of this stand are quite large. Approx 1.5 ft in all directions from central axis, so could end up taking more space than your current setup

thanks, i figured as much, my small shed is taken over with a lawn mower, ladder, surf board(!) and normal ****e so the best i can do is throw the bike in upside down.
    Im going to have a look at the bike hanging kit though, any know if thats any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Definition in the video does seem a little bland

Looks like 240p upsized to 720p... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I got a pair of the yellow panniers this morning, loads of stuff still in ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I got a pair of the yellow panniers this morning

How is your impression so far? Do they look waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I can't recommend the bike stand enough, well worth the 30 euro.

+1 Can't believe the quality for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Alek wrote: »
    How is your impression so far? Do they look waterproof?

The blurb says water repellent and it looks like it would keep dry in a shower, or spray. There is a water proof cover too. Handy for the summer commute when I don't need so with me.

Some pics showing the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The_Sub wrote: »
    I got a pair of the yellow panniers this morning
    Me too, the yellow ones seem to be a good shape for people with big feet like me. They seem to be narrower (looking side-on to the bike) and taller than the other ones. 24.5 x 48 x 13.7 cm dimensions according to the label - how would this compare to Altura ones for capacity?

I didn't see any camera glasses in Ranalagh, though maybe they keep them under lock and key. The helmets looked small to me, so I didn't get one. Loads of other stuff there. I had a nice chat with an Asian gent who was just starting out biking, so hopefully the wisdom of my 40+ years of experience was some help to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

From the photos, that pannier bag does look the same as the one aldi did last year. With the waterproof cover, I had no issues all last autumn and winter, with clothes inside kept dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Got tool and amazingly it includes a chain breaker which i think is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Got tool and amazingly it includes a chain breaker which i think is pretty cool.

I got one of those previously and the chain tool broke pretty quickly, first time I used it. I suppose it is possible I had missed the correct spot though. Was the first time I had ever attempted to change a chain.

The spindle didn't break but the metal bit that holds the chain snapped.

I decided I would skip the recording glasses, partly because I bought a new bike last night and I figured another purchase would be pushing it, partly because they are not polarised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Murtinho wrote: »
    thanks, i figured as much, my small shed is taken over with a lawn mower, ladder, surf board(!) and normal ****e so the best i can do is throw the bike in upside down.
    Im going to have a look at the bike hanging kit though, any know if thats any good?

Hang the surfboard and ladder along the roof. Easy enough to to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The_Sub wrote: »
    The blurb says water repellent and it looks like it would keep dry in a shower, or spray. There is a water proof cover too. Handy for the summer commute when I don't need so with me.

Some pics showing the inside.

In case anyone is wondering, it looks like each bag color is a different model, the yellow certainly appears the most waterproof.
    The instructions have an image which shows the four different models (see attached pic).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Sconsey wrote: »
    In case anyone is wondering, it looks like each bag color is a different model, the yellow certainly appears the most waterproof.
    The instructions have an image which shows the four different models (see attached pic).
    Stupid question. Do I buy the rack that Lidl have to attach the bag, or does it come with its own attachments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Not a stupid question :)

There is no rack with the bags, you have to buy it separately. I didn't see any suitable rack for sale in Lidl today (I may have missed one) so you would need to get your own rack assuming you don't have a carrier on your bike.

This rack they have would not be suitable for the bags in my opinion.

Well, I got the glasses. Have only tested them indoors, but have to say I'm pretty impressed. Somewhat better quality that my Aldi bike camera, but still the same sort of "HD" you get from the more expensive camera-sunglasses (i.e. slightly pixellated). And not as good as my SJ4000 (which is 1080p anyway).

The sounds picked up are pretty amazing. Upstairs I can hear the TV on downstairs.

They're light, so the weight isn't an issue.

Look pretty damn good too, nice design. The lens is pretty unnoticeable so you could feasibly get away with using them in all situations *cough*.

When sat down on my ears, the lens seems to point upwards. This may be an intended design so that the camera points forward when your head is down on the bike, but should be easily remedied by getting glasses-straps.

Have yet to try outdoors, but from the initial tests it looks like a fun product to use.

Here's a snapshot of the video taken with the sunglasses camera showing why I haven't gone outdoors yet.

You can see raindrops falling and even read the manual, although the focus does tend to blur for small print. Nice and bright in overcast conditions though.

Perhaps the focus is fixed at long distance which would make sense.

It's fun having a POV camera though, without a huge obnoxious thing sticking out of the side of my helmet ;)

NB: The original image was a bit sharper, seems to have blurred a bit in the JPG transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I got a bike stand, red panniers, 2 cycling tops and a helmet. The helmet is lovely and light with a nice chin strap.

Edit
    I also got the universal luggage hanger. It fits onto the saddle stem like a rear mudguar or you can put it on the front. 10eur. I reckon it might be handy to have a spare tshirt in it or store a jacket in it for wet days.

• Advertisement

I got a cycling top (the ones with the zip down to the chest only), but it seems to be one-size too large (I always go for "Large" but perhaps should have selected "Medium" this time).

Also it's very "long", stretches down to my calf muscles, is that normal for these kinds of tops?

Advertisement