Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dades wrote: »
    Just found the Fantasy Sports Arena under Computer Games (using the search bar).

Methinks after the old Games cat has been renamed, Fantaay Football etc. should really be in the Sports cat. It'll never be found where it is now.

This was debated quite a bit when the forum was originally requested. Initially it was just a request for a fantasy football forum, as a sub forum of soccer, which was rejected. The current format (which is 99% about football) was a compromise.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I vaguely remember that. It's the newly named "Computer Games" cat that suggests we should revisit this. That and the fact that the Fantasy Sports forum seems to me to be an extremely friendly and helpful place, and not a burden whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

:confused:

How, it presented you with highly visible categories which you could simply hover over to get an idea of contents, now you've got to assume either boards.ie or Topics might be the correct ones and then click in further again rather than very obvious cats.

Having the larger number of options visible from the start was way better, makes the place look bigger too.

I think he was being ironic by referring to the fact that the reason given for the changes was that new users can't work the old look anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

No more random browsing for me. Thanks for the change in set up! You guys might have saved my exam results.

But seriously, the new system is taking the P. Even finding forums I used to peruse now and then has become a great big pain.

Seems like from this thread the users hate the new setup, but the staff are intent on defending it and won't accept that it now sucks.

It's too many clicks and hovers and scrolling and then re-hovering because oh, my finger moved a mm so now I've to go back into three scroll menus and move REALLY CAREFULLY if I want to get to certain forums. Why would I be bothered?

I mean it's all fine and well to try and nudge people towards the more revenue generating areas, but talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The new setup just makes it harder to browse. People use boards.ie to procrastinate, and to randomly browse while sorta bored. Right now it's actually less "user intensive" for me to just go and study.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

This was debated quite a bit when the forum was originally requested. Initially it was just a request for a fantasy football forum, as a sub forum of soccer, which was rejected. The current format (which is 99% about football) was a compromise.

Tbf, if the topic re-categorisation is about making it easier for new people, it's nonsensical to have that under a Computer Games category

• Advertisement

I have no problem with it being under sports and agree computer games isn't a great location for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I vaguely remember that. It's the newly named "Computer Games" cat that suggests we should revisit this. That and the fact that the Fantasy Sports forum seems to me to be an extremely friendly and helpful place, and not a burden whatsoever.

Yep was thinking that myself recently, but then remembered a debate on about this from a while ago & couldn't find it to see what the story was :o Computer Games seems an awkward home for the FSA now, so yeah, I'm happy to see it moved over. To echo what you said Dades, it's by & large a very decent forum with a great userbase, it shouldn't bring much (if any) real workload with it.

Where then though do we stand with Soccer Manager & Football Manager....they seem to be largely based around actual real world results too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭trellheim

I've left it a week to try and get used to it, as someone from b said earlier in the thread. No change. Category reorganization + killing the familiar navigation structure + refusal to change something when its clearly not working = broken community;

for navigation of my two forums that I'd post in mostly I type their name in at the top and then get out; reddit is better and easier to get around . reddit = anythings a subforum - in fact its a running joke - but not here, if that's what you're aiming at.

B.ie is about the Irish community IMHO; this breaks the reason for staying - the hivemind feel is gone and we're back to islands ; please put it back because you've already said you're going to break it again - so why persist ?

Myrddin wrote: »

Where then though do we stand with Soccer Manager & Football Manager....they seem to be largely based around actual real world results too?

Football/Championship manager is fine where it is.

Soccer manager is a bit in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It sucks. Paid content at the top very few have any interest in seeing. Can't be bothered browsing through that mess anymore tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Getting the Adverts dropdown nearly every time I try to go to My Forums is becoming increasingly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Getting the Adverts dropdown nearly every time I try to go to My Forums is becoming increasingly annoying.

Yeah this is happening me all the time too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Soccer Manager was posted about yesterday. As one of the SM mods, I'd consider it more "computer game" than "Sports".

It's basically FM but with real people playing against you. I guess I'd say with Fantasy Sports, there's a lot of relations; picking your team after analysis real world events, transferring people in and out of your team, values increasing and decreasing based on real world events.

But I personally think the fact the main driving force of the game is the automated games every third night, the league table generated by said games, and the fact it's portrayed more like a multiplayer browswer-based online game means its more suited to the "Sports Sims" category under the gaming section than anywhere else...

No different to Tech behaving that way under the old system, it was pretty annoying all the same :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Myrddin wrote: »
    No different to Tech behaving that way under the old system, it was pretty annoying all the same :o

yeah but I sometimes wanted to read some of the tech forums, even they aren't on my subbed list.

If I want to go to Adverts I'll type Adverts.ie into my browser address bar tyvm. In fact, it feels almost as if I'm being forced to Adverts, so I sold my car on Donedeal this morning.

yeah but I sometimes wanted to read some of the tech forums, even they aren't on my subbed list.

If I want to go to Adverts I'll type Adverts.ie into my browser address bar tyvm. In fact, it feels almost as if I'm being forced to Adverts, so I sold my car on Donedeal this morning.

Well your point was, that a drop down was appearing as a result of a heading being too close to My Forums....I'm simply saying that, regardless of the content of the drop down, that behaviour was present under the old menu too; Tech was in that position instead of Adverts. Whether you want to read the contents of the drop down or not, the behaviour is the same & nothing to do with the new menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭SummerSummit

Dav wrote: »
    Well based on this thread alone, that's simply not true at all. It's about 50/50 in just this thread and when one considers that people are FAR quicker to post something in complaint rather than in praise, I think that means we've clearly done something right here.
    The reaction to the new category/topic structure has been extremely positive, so thank you all for that again, it was no easy task.

To be honest, I don't know why boards.ie is doing a customer satisfaction survey when in reality they have no intention on listening to the feedback of its users.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Can't believe they haven't reverted the menu system yet...this must be affecting traffic, I probably visit less than 1/3 of the forums I used to, its just too much hassle clicking through that menu with everything under Topics.

Your man who posted saying that boards.ie now takes more effort than studying hit the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Can't believe they haven't reverted the menu system yet...this must be affecting traffic, I probably visit less than 1/3 of the forums I used to, its just too much hassle clicking through that menu with everything under Topics.

Your man who posted saying that boards.ie now takes more effort than studying hit the nail on the head.

Same here. I hadn't used 'my forums' before, and browsed random forums quite a lot.

Now I've added a few forums to 'my forums' and find it's way too much hassle to go browsing for random stuff.

To be honest, I don't know why boards.ie is doing a customer satisfaction survey when in reality they have no intention on listening to the feedback of its users.
    Seems like from this thread the users hate the new setup, but the staff are intent on defending it and won't accept that it now sucks.

Feedback is only really worth anything if people bother their arse acquainting themselves with all the facts.

In your rush to be outraged you must have missed one or two posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Feedback is only really worth anything if people bother their arse acquainting themselves with all the facts.

In your rush to be outraged you must have missed one or two posts.

Exactly Dav has ignored the majority of negative comments.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

my3cents wrote: »
    Exactly Dav has ignored the majority of negative comments.

Did you even read the first two lines of the posts Dades linked to?
    OK, folks, once again, this "Topics in one list" thing is temporary, we're weeks rather than months away from the new site design rolling out, but we might be able to divert some time into making a better listing of the topics.
    The menu, it's not right and we agree. It's not right, I've said this from the start, and many of you raise a flag saying we should have invested the time in making it work better than it does. We do understand that discoverability through navigating the menu is a big deal, we don't want to get rid of it at all. We just don't have a neat means of presenting it at this moment and as I've said, we are working on that.
    They said it was temporary and explained their reasoning for doing it.

Nim wrote: »
    Did you even read the first two lines of the posts Dades linked to?

Several times but thats still no excuse to annoy users particularly as we'll have another change which could be for better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Watches and Timepieces still being under Science, Health and Environment also makes no sense. Considering a major part of the change was putting forums into more sensible categories, you've managed to make a balls of that, nm the rest of it. I never cared about the categories before, but since you're making an issue for it as being something that has to be fixed, might one to look at it logically instead of whatever you're doing atm

At least for me, search doesn't work half the time, and find myself having to search the same thing multiple times to get to the results page.

Course, don't even understand the point of this thread anyway since our feedback is just being ignored

my3cents wrote: »
    Several times but thats still no excuse to annoy users particularly as we'll have another change which could be for better or worse.
    So is Dav ignoring users or just annoying them? You seem confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

So is Dav ignoring users or just annoying them?

Does it matter when the net effect is both?

So is Dav ignoring users or just annoying them? You seem confused.

Whatever I think we are about to start the third week of it so someone seems confused. But its actually got to the point where its doing me a favour and I'm wasting less time here so its not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

titan18 wrote: »
    Watches and Timepieces still being under Science, Health and Environment also makes no sense. Considering a major part of the change was putting forums into more sensible categories, you've managed to make a balls of that, nm the rest of it. I never cared about the categories before, but since you're making an issue for it as being something that has to be fixed, might one to look at it logically instead of whatever you're doing atm

At least for me, search doesn't work half the time, and find myself having to search the same thing multiple times to get to the results page.

Course, don't even understand the point of this thread anyway since our feedback is just being ignored

Watches & Timepieces should have been under Collectibles & Antiques before the shake-up and certainly should go there now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Although I am happy for it to remain in the Computer Games section (it is essentially a browser game), it would make sense to add it to the Sports section given the subject matter.

Regardless, whereever it is placed, I'm fine with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Although I am happy for it to remain in the Computer Games section (it is essentially a browser game), it would make sense to add it to the Sports section given the subject matter.

Regardless, whereever it is placed, I'm fine with it.

What forum is that FutureGuy?

Advertisement