Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I assume he is talking about FSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ruu wrote: »
    I assume he is talking about FSA.

Ah yeah, just looked in full site mode and that's one of his forums, makes sense. On mobile you have no idea who mods what.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Watches & Timepieces should have been under Collectibles & Antiques before the shake-up and certainly should go there now.

Should go under Recreation and Hobbies as a separate forum instead of a sub

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Watches & Timepieces should have been under Collectibles & Antiques before the shake-up and certainly should go there now.

Recreation and hobbies seems like a better fit alright, though not as a sub forum of collectibles and antiques. It's got higher traffic than C&A and would likely loose traffic in such a move.

I have to say I'm casually browsing far fewer forums these days. If I haven't got it in my list of subbed forums I'm not really bothering.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

I have to say I'm casually browsing far fewer forums these days.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Really interested to know whether this was the desired outcome, and if not, what are the reversion plans ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I really don't think it was the plan. Not by a long shot. The category rejig was long in coming and a bloody hard task and one that was done well IMH. The drop down thing another rejig that did need some tidying, but I feel it's made the community feel smaller for existing members and given we'd generally know where things were, it must be quite the navigation task for new folks.

Again my take, but I feel Boards grew and thrived on its wide amount of forums that seemed a little haphazard and applying some time and motion GUI to that will not fare well in the longterm. We need more members joining and I don't think this an improvement. I really hope to be proven wrong in this, but I'm not so sure it will be :(. And I mean that :(. It feels like

homer_jump_the_shark.gif

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Any chance of getting the unread forums asterisk on touch back working? It's very handy for less busy forums.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Any chance of getting the unread forums asterisk on touch back working? It's very handy for less busy forums.

6 days ago I asked on this thread if the touch site issues are going to be fixed. The category headers appearing in the my forums list is annoying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I grumbled about the changes a few weeks ago but Im back with my tail between my legs because I've gotten used to it and it's grand. No biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I still think it's crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I still think it's crap.

It's starting to really annoy me at this point. All being lumped into one small space on an otherwise large screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's starting to really annoy me at this point. All being lumped into one small space on an otherwise large screen

Yea, its ridiculous. And i hate the Adverts.ie tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've ventured beyond My Forums in the last few weeks - and that's not me "fighting the power", it's just I can't be arsed trawling through a condensed single menu when there's no reason for it! It's not like Boards.ie is on physical pages with limited space.

Would love to see the stats on traffic in the last few weeks though, particularly for the less popular forums (ie: not AH, Motors etc). What's even more frustrating is the attitude from the site staff to the whole thing and feedback its generated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yip, my morning rounds during my tea of the site is pretty much restricted to My Forums and more time on other sites.

If I need another I don't use the menu but type in the address bar. If it's not there I just don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yip, my morning rounds during my tea of the site is pretty much restricted to My Forums and more time on other sites.

If I need another I don't use the menu but type in the address bar. If it's not there I just don't bother.

I think someone needs to ask the question how did people build up their list of My Forums?

The way it is now I don't see how new users will ever get that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What's even more frustrating is the attitude from the site staff to the whole thing and feedback its generated!
    +1. What is the actual sense in this?

I had to do a search for Bargain Alerts after I noticed I hadn't checked it in over a week. lol. Couldn't find it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had to do a search for Bargain Alerts after I noticed I hadn't checked it in over a week. lol. Couldn't find it.
    Bargain Alerts is in the same place it always was (lol). Under Business & Finance; Consumer.

Or you could just type "b-a-r" into the search box to get this:

4MYzE3.png

I suspect you were more interested in not finding it then finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its still pish.

See the admins, cmods etc are still outraged by the lack of kool aid drinking among the congregation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bambi wrote: »
    See the admins, cmods etc are still outraged by the lack of kool aid drinking among the congregation
    I've always agreed the new dropdown is not fit for purpose. But if people fail to find a regularly used forum that hasn't moved, I don't think that particular problem is with the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

All forums have moved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Any chance of a rough timeliness as to when we will see the end product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We have, by the way, since the changes went live, said that the current menu is not fit for purpose either, but no one seems to want to remember that when they're posting here. :)

It's also made practically no difference to our overall traffic, so people are definitely browsing as much as ever, but that's not an excuse or a reason for further delay, just a reminder that once again, we are well aware it's not right and we are working on fixing it and that we have access to the big numbers which I would respectfully ask you to remember won't always line up with your individual experience of using the site day to day. Those same big numbers don't tell us the full tale either so I'd imagine the reality is somewhat in-between both sides of this - this is why you are always consulted when we make these changes folks.

I'm not sure where we are with a timeline padd, but I'll do my best to get that answered tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The DRP tags don't match the categories now though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Dav, perhaps you could revert it to the old bar until you get a better one? It has now been openly said that it's not working, so I presume that you can wind back to it in whatever source control system you're using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Red Alert wrote: »
    Dav, perhaps you could revert it to the old bar until you get a better one? It has now been openly said that it's not working, so I presume that you can wind back to it in whatever source control system you're using?

Given the need to revamp and rename the categories this was really the best option until the new setup gets rolled out. As Dav has said we are working on much better functionality for the menu but it's likely going to have to roll out with the new site design.

For reference, this is how the old menu would look now if we left it be after the category changes:

1133429463.png

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Are there any mock-ups of the new site design?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

For reference, this is how the old menu would look now if we left it be after the category changes:

1133429463.png

so, better then.
    why not do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My gripe with the menu layout: while functionally it does better with touch screens on PCs Laptops and Tablets, all-around (mouse included) it annoyingly also ignores standard conventions - I hate it when that happens. That's why I prefer say SolidWorks to Creo for my work - One uses the same Human-Computer Interaction models as the Windows OS, and the other just said "Fcuk it, we'll try it ourselves," and made complete pants of it. For example: Start areas of programs, and Menus. Start areas are usually either located in corners or very prominent in the middle (like the dock in OSX). The Topics drop-menu is difficult enough to see up there: when you think about it, it either needs to be on the Left where "Talk to..." is, where most new users will instinctively first look for it, or in the right, where "Adverts.ie" is, because that's where the "My Forums" customizable menu is, which would be very functional.

Also, "=" (3 horizontal lines) has unwittingly and universally become accepted as the new icon for "Menu," in the current era. It's also used on the touch site, my feeling is the 2 versions of the site should use that button consistently.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

so, better then.
    why not do that?
    Is it better? We've already seen a number of posters complaining about the hover feature which often results in the wrong sub menu appearing. Having 4 on top of each other would be a disaster unless you drop the hover feature altogether (which then adds another click to the process which seems to defeat the object)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Overheal wrote: »
    Also, "=" (3 horizontal lines) has unwittingly and universally become accepted as the new icon for "Menu," in the current era.

I don't care how special a character is, I hope they never develop any form of wit! :p

Advertisement