Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Any thoughts on a separate thread with a poll attached to gauge votes on this?

Thanks,

I'm not really sure what you want to vote on tbh. That the new categories should be changed back? Personally I haven't seen anyone complaining about them or demanding they be changed back. That the new menu isn't great? Well that's pretty much a given, I don't think anyone likes it so a vote would be overwhelmingly against it. Dav has admitted that it needs some tidying up and the tech guys are working on it. He's also said that it won't be changed back, so a vote wouldn't really achieve anything imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Zaph wrote: »
    Dav has admitted that it needs some tidying up and the tech guys are working on it. He's also said that it won't be changed back, so a vote wouldn't really achieve anything imo.

Do you mean that the 5 dropdowns across the top there are the way it's supposed to be?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Do you mean that the 5 dropdowns across the top there are the way it's supposed to be?

As in that there are only 5 items on the top bar? Yep, that's intentional. But there are issues with how the dropdowns behave that are being looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm not really sure what you want to vote on tbh. That the new categories should be changed back? Personally I haven't seen anyone complaining about them or demanding they be changed back. That the new menu isn't great? Well that's pretty much a given, I don't think anyone likes it so a vote would be overwhelmingly against it. Dav has admitted that it needs some tidying up and the tech guys are working on it. He's also said that it won't be changed back, so a vote wouldn't really achieve anything imo.

Still doesn't mean we should roll over and agree, the more I use the new "Topics" menu the less I like it. I didn't like it to start with now I'm starting to hate it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And just to add - going back to the "old system" with the "new categories" would turn those 5 into 19 or so - I've no idea whether that is really feasible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Has the site gotten smaller? It feels really small lately.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Any thoughts on a separate thread with a poll attached to gauge votes on this?

Thanks,

Dav has said the current set up is only temporary so no point really, if it's going to be changed again.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Dav has said the current set up is only temporary so no point really, if it's going to be changed again.

By the same argument you could say why not change it back because its going to be changed anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

my3cents wrote: »
    By the same argument you could say why not change it back because its going to be changed anyway.

Because the new categories are here to stay and I don't think you can have 19 drop down menus at the top like it used to be. That would be a huge mess. And I think Dav said they didn't want to implement the new categories and the new design all at once.

The current situation isn't perfect but I can live with it for a while.

Nim wrote: »
    Because the new categories are here to stay and I don't think you can have 19 drop down menus at the top like it used to be. That would be a huge mess.

Why not? It wasnt a huge mess the way it used to be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No, but it was intimidating new users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

One single new post in DRP in 8 days says a lot to me.

Can people not find it?

Are less people posting in forums they may not be au fait with, therefore not falling foul of charters they haven't read?

Are there fewer people looking to dispute cards/bans, at co-incidentally the same time as menu changes happen?

Hmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

And thats just that is it? Dav says so... This change will kill many forums on this site, its a total disaster and although the work it took can be appreciated, The decision makers need to hold their hands up and say ok we messed up, revert and maybe start again.

Can people not find it?

Ok I give up - where is it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Can people not find it?
    is it not exactly where it used to be..?

I must admit, I rarely visit it but I always thought it was where it is now.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can people not find it?

Are less people posting in forums they may not be au fait with, therefore not falling foul of charters they haven't read?

Are there fewer people looking to dispute cards/bans, at co-incidentally the same time as menu changes happen?

Hmmmmm.

Option 4: People are busy venting in feedback, and therefore aren't doing so in other fora and acquiring cards.

But to address your points, DRP is under the exact same location in the new menu, as it was in the old -
    Boards.ie > Help Desk > Dispute Desolution, so arguing that people suddenly can't find it is somewhat moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,301 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Preferred the old layout.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can people not find it?

Hmmmmm.

The DRP post rate is very uneven at the best of times, it really shouldn't be taken as a indicator of anything at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Took me about 3 seconds to find the DR forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Can people not find it?

Hmmmmm.
    We've been rumbled! The menu change was a subtle ploy to keep people busy in here complaining instead of lodging appeals. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

How long to fix the touch site problems? It's been awhile now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, but it was intimidating new users.

:confused:

How, it presented you with highly visible categories which you could simply hover over to get an idea of contents, now you've got to assume either boards.ie or Topics might be the correct ones and then click in further again rather than very obvious cats.

Having the larger number of options visible from the start was way better, makes the place look bigger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, tried doing a search in the thread but nothing came up.

On the boards homepage, when you sort posts by thanks, you used to be able to filter them by category. Now you can't do this, the only filters are the 5 new headings across the top.

This used to be something I'd check daily on boards and it would have me read/participate in forums I usually wouldn't have any interest in. Can it be brought back to be sorted by "Topics" please???? The way it's filtered at the moment is crappy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

mike_ie wrote: »
    Option 4: People are busy venting in feedback, and therefore aren't doing so in other fora and acquiring cards.

But to address your points, DRP is under the exact same location in the new menu, as it was in the old -
    Boards.ie > Help Desk > Dispute Desolution, so arguing that people suddenly can't find it is somewhat moot.

aside from anything else, people get sent the link in their ban/warning/infraction PM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't get the little asterisk telling me I have unread posts in any of the forums that I follow now. It was a bit unreliable before, gone completely on touch site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

On touch for me the asterisk is gone but when on a PC, half of the time, I have an asterisk beside a forum that has no new posts in it. Just as annoying as not telling me there are posts I haven't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

On the boards homepage, when you sort posts by thanks, you used to be able to filter them by category. Now you can't do this, the only filters are the 5 new headings across the top.

This used to be something I'd check daily on boards and it would have me read/participate in forums I usually wouldn't have any interest in. Can it be brought back to be sorted by "Topics" please???? The way it's filtered at the moment is crappy!
    That one is on the bug list.
    hitemfrank wrote: »
    On touch for me the asterisk is gone but when on a PC, half of the time, I have an asterisk beside a forum that has no new posts in it. Just as annoying as not telling me there are posts I haven't read.
    It's possible that the forum has sub-forum's that have new posts and because of the way VBulletin manages unread posts, it shows unread in a sub-forum as being unread in the main forum.

I just saw that the tech team are testing the A - Z issue on touch. so with a bit of luck we'll get that rolled out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Dav wrote: »
    It's possible that the forum has sub-forum's that have new posts and because of the way VBulletin manages unread posts, it shows unread in a sub-forum as being unread in the main forum.

It's showing me there are new posts in Facial Hair & Hats, but there are no sub forums there that I can see and definitely no new posts in any of the threads (newest post in there was yesterday afternoon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Touch A-Z fix live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just found the Fantasy Sports Arena under Computer Games (using the search bar).

Methinks after the old Games cat has been renamed, Fantaay Football etc. should really be in the Sports cat. It'll never be found where it is now.

Advertisement