Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Topics/Category Organisation Update 20:45 - Post 100

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Overheal wrote: »
    Also, "=" (3 horizontal lines) has unwittingly and universally become accepted as the new icon for "Menu," in the current era. It's also used on the touch site, my feeling is the 2 versions of the site should use that button consistently.
    Judging by the official mockups, that is going to be the case.

After which all the dislike for the way the top bar is at the moment will be moot (and replaced by dislike for something else, no doubt!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Boards.ie --> Hosted --> Categories are still the same as the old ones, should they not be mirroring the new Cat headings?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This menu fiasco is still a total jokeshop. Must be getting your staff in lucky bags to be coming up with that class of thing

Change it back ta f**k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I was browsing through the A-Z forum list on the touch site and when I clicked on a few of them they brought me straight to adverts. For example, I clicked on Books & Magazines and was brought to the section on adverts selling books etc.

It's all well and good having an adverts section but I don't think they should be mixed in with the forum list. This could be confusing and off-putting for new users. If I was a new user who wanted to talk about books and I clicked a link that brought me to adverts, I'd be immediately put off and go elsewhere.
    Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I was browsing through the A-Z forum list on the touch site and when I clicked on a few of them they brought me straight to adverts. For example, I clicked on Books & Magazines and was brought to the section on adverts selling books etc.

It's all well and good having an adverts section but I don't think they should be mixed in with the forum list. This could be confusing and off-putting for new users. If I was a new user who wanted to talk about books and I clicked a link that brought me to adverts, I'd be immediately put off and go elsewhere.
    Just a thought.

That's a bug, thanks for spotting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dav wrote: »
    OK, folks, once again, this "Topics in one list" thing is temporary, we're weeks rather than months away from the new site design rolling out, but we might be able to divert some time into making a better listing of the topics.

Hi Dav, something I thought about today, any progress on this update?

We're beta testing the first parts of it at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Not sure if this has been noted but there is a Help Forum, a Feedback Forum and a Help & Feedback forum.

I guess I know where to post if I want to get both help and give feedback ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MadsL wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been noted but there is a Help Forum, a Feedback Forum and a Help & Feedback forum.

I guess I know where to post if I want to get both help and give feedback ;)
    There's nothing in the Help & Feedback forum and no ability to post at present - think it only appeared a week or so ago. I am assuming the Help Desk and Feedback forums will be dropped beneath it in due course.

There's an update rolling out today that will tidy up the Boards.ie category. It's taken a bit longer cause things like Post of the Day and Thread of the day are generated by VBulletin, so Andres has had to write code to manage that for the new site too. When it's done you'll see those changes in the Boards.ie menu later today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I presume this is why this page just broke:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/

If you go there now you're apparently logged out always. Logging in sends you to www.boards.ie/ instead. Even with a fresh login you're logged out once more upon return.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Spear wrote: »

If you go there now you're apparently logged out always. Logging in sends you to www.boards.ie/ instead. Even with a fresh login you're logged out once more upon return.

Working fine for me?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Working fine for me?

I could it replicate it at will. After that I restarted my browser, going there kicked my out again, but after a login it stuck this time.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That still works ok for me with no log out issues.

Are you using one of the old and unsupported skins?

Dav wrote: »
    Are you using one of the old and unsupported skins?

I could recreate it both with and without, the skin had no impact. But it seems gone now. I've never seen it before or anything like it, and it was easily recreated at the time. Maybe just a transient oddity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The forum index link appears to have gone missing in the reorganization (it was useful for the "Mark all read" option) from the boards.ie drop down :(

There's a Mark All Read in the menu under your username on the top right (second last option before Logout).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The New Posts link seems to have disappeared.

It's right there in the "What's New" section.

• Advertisement

Oh, I see it, its an extra click to get to it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Oh, I see it, its an extra click to get to it :(

What takes you in there anyway?

What takes you in there anyway?

What takes me in where? The New Posts link?

Because thats how I browse Boards - by new posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Under the Topics tab, in Social and Fun, the AMA forum is listed twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

MrWalsh wrote: »
    What takes me in where? The New Posts link?

Because thats how I browse Boards - by new posts.

Me too, i hate the new layout. After a few months of using it i have decided it is all user unfriendly. I too use new post section and its a pain now. Especially as the drop down menu takes AN AGE to load. Have to click it wait for ages, click again wait for ages and then be lucky if there is something i want to read on the first few pages.
    i must admit, it does LOOK better but doesnt perform well for me

Me too, i hate the new layout. After a few months of using it i have decided it is all user unfriendly. I too use new post section and its a pain now. Especially as the drop down menu takes AN AGE to load. Have to click it wait for ages, click again wait for ages and then be lucky if there is something i want to read on the first few pages.
    i must admit, it does LOOK better but doesnt perform well for me

+1000

It's very difficult to use the drop downs on an ipad so I use the site far less in the evenings as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It genuinely seems like the staff of Boards don't care that most of the users don't like this system. It's not about appearance, it's about the user experience and the staff at Boards seem hell bent at implementing these changes regardless of feedback. Kind of makes a mockery of the feedback forum to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Quazzie wrote: »
    It genuinely seems like the staff of Boards don't care that most of the users don't like this system. It's not about appearance, it's about the user experience and the staff at Boards seem hell bent at implementing these changes regardless of feedback. Kind of makes a mockery of the feedback forum to be honest.

Agreed, if they make the site so user unfriendly, the users will leave and the site will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Agreed, if they make the site so user unfriendly, the users will leave and the site will fail.

I'm close to breaking point..... I use boards more than any other website but for me it has come very close to unusable.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

but there are thousands and thousands of people who don't complain.

So suck it up.

Advertisement