Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bellator/WSOF/One FC etc events Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Jesus wept.

If you read the context, I was just joking around

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its a step up in opposition although it wouldnt be too hard considering he was fighting lads with 2-9 records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

he will always be a pretender....Conor lite....bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Hes a good grappler Gallagher but the level of bums hes choking makes him look a phenom, Chinzo isnt known for grappling but his Karate here will be very dangerous for Gallagher, the mcgregor copy catting has got him to fight in MSG this early in his career so he will keep using the same schtick, cant support someone who goes to the extremes of getting the same dog as McGregor trying to emulate him its very weird.

• Advertisement

They are obviously building him very slowly but he is only 20. Trying to be McGregor is annoying but everyone is trying to do it so he is not alone.

He still has to beat the guy in front of him and Machida does sound a step up from what Marcos and Gamebred have said.

It could be like Sinead Kavanagh.I thought she would easily win her fight against Razafiarison but she got beat. She looked clueless on the ground which I thought John Kavanagh would have had her better prepared.

So once he keeps winning is the main thing. He is still doing great for just 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Very boring fight last time out in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So once he keeps winning is the main thing. He is still doing great for just 20 years old

That's part of the problem though - everyone gets and accepts that he's young and full of potential. He just makes it difficult to cheer him when he gets on like he's the finished article already - title belt gestures etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bellator NYC press conference due to start at 6pm GMT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2VVPw11U1I&feature=youtu.be

Sonnen v Silva is a fight I was looking forward to seeing after their spat during TUF Brazil but it's what, 3+ years later?

Bellator are banking on Sonnen to sell the shít out of this PPV but a ton has happened in the meantime to really be interested in this fight.

They'll have to make their own footage because they can't show anything from TUF.

I understand they need recognisable names for a PPV but Larkin/Lima is an excellent title fight on that same card that deserves a big push instead.

Sonnen loses in slightly questionable circumstances.
    Silva not fought in bloody ages.

Shít show of a main event that I'll still watch despite my griping.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think I'll go and dig a bit on Chinzo. I was sure he even had a black belt at the start.
    I know James was good as a 16 year old blue belt, wasn't sure if he had continued that progression. I haven't seen much of him in pure grappling. Last was probably the world at juve blue belt a few years ago

• Advertisement

Gallagher really is turning into a right wee wanker.

Hate rooting against Irish lads but that's the way it's going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Same but **** me hes very unlikeable

Gallagher really is turning into a right wee wanker.
    D.Q wrote: »
    Hate rooting against Irish lads but that's the way it's going
    ricero wrote: »
    Same but **** me hes very unlikeable

Has he done something today? Why the pile on?

I keep saying I understand peoples feelings but its all to hype a fight.I would tell him to tone some of it down alright as it is a blatant rip off of McGregor but it has got him noticed. It got me interested in him but he has to back it up in the cage. Stupid if a guy is talking big with a load of losses. So far its ok for him but it could go all wrong.

I could only turn against an Irish guy if he refused autographs/pictures and wasn't nice to fans.

Hmmm ok I just the stuff in the other thread !!

So far its ok for him but it could go all wrong.

I could only turn against an Irish guy if he refused autographs/pictures and wasn't nice to fans.

Well no, it's not ok. He's done nothing other than beat a few cans and started making title belt gestures and is now talking smack to Chandler. You have to earn the right to talk ****e like that. He's done nothing of the sort to date.

I'm not turning against him - i just don't feel compelled to support him. Being Irish has nothing to do with it.

All this trash talk and then goes out and puts on horrendously boring fights.

Well no, it's not ok. He's done nothing other than beat a few cans and started making title belt gestures and is now talking smack to Chandler. You have to earn the right to talk ****e like that.

If it was me, I would do the same thing just not the exact copying of McGregor. He should be calling out the champions. The squeakiest wheel gets the grease. There should be, but there is no 'right' in mma. Otherwise it would be boring.

Gallagher calls out the champions.Pico called Gallagher out after he said he would strangle wrestlers.Pico hasn't had an mma fight yet! Diaz called out McGregor even though there was no need for McGregor to fight him. I would have have told Conor to ignore him."Taking everything I worked for "motherf****!!!!"made no sense at all but I loved it and away we go!! CM Punk had no 'right' to be even fighting never mind in the ufc but there he was. The list goes on and on.

Rankings mean nothing. Its all about the entertainment and entertaining fights. I rarely watch Bellator at all but I will watch Gallagher to see how he gets on. This means I will watch the rest of the card too. Marcos said he can't wait to see Gallagher get sparked! I loved that! Presumably he and you will watch hoping to see it happen!! :D

Its all about the entertainment and entertaining fights. I rarely watch Bellator at all but I will watch Gallagher to see how he gets on.

These are contradictory statements. Gallagher's fights are anything but entertaining.

These are contradictory statements. Gallagher's fights are anything but entertaining.

Yes but you and I watched them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,376 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lads, we're all here's talking about James Gallagher, whatever about the shîte he comes out with, it's clearly working for him if there's a big discussion about him on one of the country's most popular MMA forums. The same goes for Danis.

Professional mixed martial artists have short careers compared to most jobs, they're trying to get paid while they can. We don't have to like what they say, but talk is money these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Six or seven lads pointing out that the two of them are morons is hardly grounds to claim their idiocy works.
    They're going going to be murdered before the end of the year and crawl back under Conor's ballsack where they came from.
    Dannis claiming he's the highest paid fighter in Bellator, he's getting a few grand and a snickers bar if he's lucky, same for Gallagher.

Six or seven lads pointing out that the two of them are morons is hardly grounds to claim their idiocy works.
    They're going going to be murdered before the end of the year and crawl back under Conor's ballsack where they came from.
    Dannis claiming he's the highest paid fighter in Bellator, he's getting a few grand and a snickers bar if he's lucky, same for Gallagher.

Yes they might be murdered, but their shîtetalk means they'll get paid more than a quieter mixed martial artist would until that happens. Who knows, one or both of them might even go on to have a good, successful career in MMA (I personally doubt it), and then the money will keep getting bigger.

Six or seven lads pointing out that the two of them are morons is six or seven lads that will talk about them and keep them relevant, therefore $$$ for the "two morons". It's not a new concept, boxers (and even pro-wrestlers to a degree) have been doing it for decades before McGregor came along, so anyone that says they're copying his shtick are a bit wrong.

If they don't act in reality like they do on social media, best of luck to the pair of them. They're playing the promotional game pretty well so far, even by just talking absolute bollocks.

martyos121 wrote: »

It's not a new concept, boxers (and even pro-wrestlers to a degree) have been doing it for decades before McGregor came along, so anyone that says they're copying his shtick are a bit wrong.

A bit wrong will ya get the boat they are gone full McGregor its very strange, the pair of them are copying him from vocabulary, social media interactions and in Gallaghers case he got the same ****ing dog as McGregor not to mention the tattoo's gucci shoes and all that **** its embarrassing.

Gamebred wrote: »
    A bit wrong will ya get the boat they are gone full McGregor its very strange, the pair of them are copying him from vocabulary, social media interactions and in Gallaghers case he got the same ****ing dog as McGregor not to mention the tattoo's gucci shoes and all that **** its embarrassing.

McGregor stole his entire image from a male model a couple of years ago, right down to the tattoos, that's far more embarrassing tbh.

http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&s=mcgregor-josh-mario-john.jpg

And you know well I wasn't talking about them using his catchphrases and wearing the same clothes. I said the idea of having a big mouth to get paid was nothing new, and it isn't.

Also, it's awful ironic to see you of all people giving the two lads shît for copying McGregor's vocab:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97891510&postcount=1639
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97990427&postcount=2043
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97975261&postcount=1917

That's only from one thread! :pac:

Jesus christ ive no words for this am not actually sure if your serious.

Why wouldn't I be serious? You know well that when you make a post it stays there for good, did you not expect to be pulled up on being a bit of a hypocrite? I did it mostly tongue in cheek as well, hence the emoji. Just thought it was funny you were slating a couple of lads for talking like McGregor, when you've been at it longer than anyone. :D

You are comparing posts on an anonymous mma forum to professional fighters copying someone, im lost for words am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

You are comparing posts on an anonymous mma forum to professional fighters copying someone, im lost for words am out.

Youll do nuttin... martyos121 will change your bum life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    McGregor stole his entire image from a male model a couple of years ago, right down to the tattoos, that's far more embarrassing tbh.

http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&s=mcgregor-josh-mario-john.jpg
    The fact there's a random hipster with similar tattoos and a beard hardly means he actively copied the image from him. Everything he does gets scrutinised.

I've a beard and sometimes where glasses. Have done for years. No doubt some people think I'd copying all these hipsters, but FFS they copying me.

And you know well I wasn't talking about them using his catchphrases and wearing the same clothes. I said the idea of having a big mouth to get paid was nothing new, and it isn't.
    Also, it's awful ironic to see you of all people giving the two lads shît for copying McGregor's vocab:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97891510&postcount=1639
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97990427&postcount=2043
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97975261&postcount=1917

That's only from one thread! :pac:
    He's obviously being ironic.

I think Gallagher gets a bit of a hard time. But if he's out flashing Gucci shoes he should cut that out. Conor is on Gucci money, Gallagher is still on kickers money

Advertisement