Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

sold 3 fr heifers ( announced not for breeding ) 490 kgs €935

showed them last april they were 360 kgs and making €600 ,

no meal & 1 cheap white dose last July , thought they paid their way , would have liked to finish them but shed space is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

orm0nd wrote: »
    sold 3 fr heifers ( announced not for breeding ) 490 kgs €935

showed them last april they were 360 kgs and making €600 ,

no meal & 1 cheap white dose last July , thought they paid their way , would have liked to finish them but shed space is limited

They did well for ya. Had a weanling in last March nice shaped lmx and only got bid 900 385kg made 1390 505kg the sat before races. As one of posters here said a few days ago two lads just kept on bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

To Finish or Sell that's the question

I have 20 CH heifers ranging in weights from 450kg to 500 kg (age 16-18 mths)

Not sure what's best option
    Sell them or finish on high energy beef ration for over 100 days and kill in Feb 2016

Any suggestions
    (On Grass since March 2015 till now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

saranac1 wrote: »

Sell them or finish on high energy beef ration for over 100 days and kill in Feb 2016

Any suggestions

Id dought you'd get them heifers into factory weight by February, U'd prob get the best ones into it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Let them back out to grass in spring and put weight on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Muckit wrote: »

silAge and high energy beef meal over winter or just silage

Don't over push them for winter as they will get a burst of weight from the fresh grass when they go out. July would be better time to finish as prices uaually at their strongest.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Don't over push them for winter as they will get a burst of weight from the fresh grass when they go out. July would be better time to finish as prices uaually at their strongest.

What price would that be.finish in the shed but don't rush them

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    What price would that be.finish in the shed but don't rush them

We'll know that next July.

silAge and high energy beef meal over winter or just silage

Good quality silage only. But make sure you have good silage. Then meal them at grass for 2 months and as clough said get them going before June if you could. All depends on the type cattle they are.

• Advertisement

We'll know that next July.

You normally can tell the future.when I look back through your post's I wonder where you get your information or do you just dream it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ah here! both of ye give over!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Robson99

Good quality silage only. But make sure you have good silage. Then meal them at grass for 2 months and as clough said get them going before June if you could. All depends on the type cattle they are.

Would give them 2kg rolled barley with ad lib silage. Barley good value at 185 - 190 TN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

What level DMD would you consider good silage at?? I no 75dmd top quility but is 50+ consider good. I never got silage tested before thinking of doing it this year

Robson99 wrote: »
    Would give them 2kg rolled barley with ad lib silage. Barley good value at 185 - 190 TN

Do you buy it rolled? Would it be treated or is there fear of it heating? Never bought it loose only in the bags

Ah here! both of ye give over!

I didn't open my mouth

I'd add some form of protein to the barley. Barley would be ok for finishing from May onwards and swap the protien for a maize finishing meal.

Do you buy it rolled? Would it be treated or is there fear of it heating? Never bought it loose only in the bags

Buy it treated and rolled muckit. Ton or half tonne bags. Far better value than rations for storing cattle.
    Use it in a mix with maize and beef nut here for finishing.

I'd add some form of protein to the barley. Barley would be ok for finishing from May onwards and swap the protien for a maize finishing meal.

Wouldn't be overly worried about the protein myself when such a small quantity of barley but it would be no harm

Aim to have them ready for Easter

• Advertisement

Aim to have them ready for Easter

With a carcass weight if about 330kg??? Waste of time with such light weights imo

With a carcass weight if about 330kg??? Waste of time with such light weights imo

Start of July finish would probably leave another 40kg-60kg DW on mainly grass assuming you'd be using the same meal quantities to finish them.

Start of July finish would probably leave another 40kg-60kg DW on mainly grass assuming you'd be using the same meal quantities to finish them.

ID agree

Buy it treated and rolled muckit. Ton or half tonne bags. Far better value than rations for storing cattle.
    Use it in a mix with maize and beef nut here for finishing.

find rolled barley excellent to fatten. Got lazy using the bags. Easy throw one on the back and no measuring or scooping :) But l will look into getting loose for 2016.

find rolled barley excellent to fatten. Got lazy using the bags. Easy throw one on the back and no measuring or scooping :) But l will look into getting loose for 2016.

Ya muckit very hard to beat good rolled barley for fattening

Everyone is entitled to there opinion.but I know price will be a problem the further you go into next year.you can quote me on that

Everyone is entitled to there opinion.but I know price will be a problem the further you go into next year.you can quote me on that

I'm not making little of your opinion I just feel that for contenintal cattle to leave a profit you have to get them to as high a Weight as possible in the shortest time on concentrates

What base price do you see us at this time next year???

I'm not making little of your opinion I just feel that for contenintal cattle to leave a profit you have to get them to as high a Weight as possible in the shortest time on concentrates
    No continental cattle need meal native breed's need grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any suggestions
    I'd store them on silage only and let them back to grass next year to finish at the end of the summer unless you've no land to keep them next year. In that case you could give them 4-5 kg of meal and silage until finished or give 2kg of meal with silage and sell as forward stores in spring when the madness will begin again.

Advertisement