Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nelan puts the rest of them to shame. Don't know how he's coping without all the phantom bids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nelan puts the rest of them to shame. Don't know how he's coping without all the phantom bids though.

He sounds a lot clearer on-line too. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Think it finished up near 2 am. Friend had a lovely roan lm heifer. March 20 290kg €1200.
    I bought some in it last night, there was some super quality stock there. The last animal was sold at 2.25 am and the sale started just after 5pm. A serious amount of stock went through and I’d say well over 90% was sold. Although as CavanJack said above the value is gone with the online sales now. You’d always pick out a few at good value, maybe a few good r grades at 300 kgs for €550 to €600 and it would help to balance out a few dearer ones over a load but that’s all gone now. The lad at home online will bid away for the value ones too and eliminate them. It’s all good news for the farmer selling but another hit to the finisher. We’ll just have to hope Larry will find a way of giving us a few more scraps from the top table!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

2 heifers made 1410, 257 kg in ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

2 heifers made 1410, 257 kg in ennis

Where to begin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

ruwithme wrote: »
    What's the story with lads walking around marts with phones whilst the sale is on &their viewing the online sale on phone and them in the same ring??????

These fellas are usually always moving around and not hiding this.

The mart there watching online might not be the same one there in attendance at. I see several lad's standing ringside in one town and watching another online. The advent of online bidding has allowed lads to be doing business in multiple marts at once. It's also made polling the competition easier due to the fact you can stay anonymous. Before this you had to stand around the ring and try to hide the fact you were driving someone else on, now you can head off down the yard and still poll him in secret.

As for Patsy's suggestion of the mart opening the cattle online it's something most auctioneers would have been doing all along. Any worthwhile auctioneer knows what a beast is worth and shouldn't be opening them more than a hundred or 2 below this figure. All they'd be doing is making more work for themselves and stretching out the day. Secondly they'd have a pain in there ribs from the mart manager standing behind them prodding them to poll on another bit. If you were 100% reliant on genuine bids it would be a slow process to sell a yard of stock. Any fool can make sales when there's multiple interested buyer's but it takes an auctioneer to sell when your down to one single client.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dunedin wrote: »
    Anyone see any prices for good quality springers lately. Say limo or Simmental and due to calve in next few months.
    I haven't but you maybe interested in a sale in Carnaross next Tuesday of 27 in calf Sim heifers.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/premium-simmental-incalf-sale/25784538

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What are squarish aax heifers, march 19, 460 to 480kgs roughly making.

Thinking 880 to 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Danzy wrote: »
    What are squarish aax heifers, march 19, 460 to 480kgs roughly making.

Thinking 880 to 900.
    I saw a few of that type online last week in Carrigallen and they were making 1.87 to 1.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭minerleague

Base price wrote: »
    I haven't but you maybe interested in a sale in Carnaross next Tuesday of 27 in calf Sim heifers.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/premium-simmental-incalf-sale/25784538

Nice cattle no doubt but cost a fortune to keep for the year, sink a bit here too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Base price wrote: »

Quality stock alright. I’ll keep an eye on line for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Must have been Matthew :D

BB 485 kgs

Matt " Give me aaahh what will we say 950?? What' that 1300 ?? right "

I'd rank him as one of the top auctioneers in Ireland from a seller's point of view.

saying that from having bought and sold with him

I was selling a young breeding bull in Ennis last year and I said to Matthew - "He's a grand quiet lad". He looks at me and goes "Like yourself".

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Johnny Lynch is selling water buffalo Bulls today in Thurles if anyone wants something different for beside the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

What are 400kg Fr or Hrx bullocks making?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

One of the things I'm finding very interesting with online marts is the conversations between auctioneer and seller, particularly dealers.

Was watching today as a dealer was telling the auctioneer what to start at and work up to, and he had the phone there to bid online too. Whole pen like that, and he's a regular seller at the mart so it's going on every week. I thought it was very amusing.

You can also hear who buys the cattle. You cant hear that most of the time ringside. You can bet that dealers are puffing their own cattle when selling. They just need another herd number.
    I take it the software doesn't allow you to bid on your own cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I'm not sure about that actually! Worth seeing.

Loving the auctioneers saying 'Mr. Nobody' as the buyer lol

T0001 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that actually! Worth seeing.

Loving the auctioneers saying 'Mr. Nobody' as the buyer lol

One of the local auctioneers would just tell the clerk to "keep writing" when a seller had overshot the mark. I'd usually quote a price to the auctioneer, I'm not saying I'm a better judge than anyone else but I'd know what I had to get for the stock. Most of the time I'd get them sold at near enough what I'd quoted earlier on, it's no harm to put a line in the sand imo. Some lads are easy taken advantage of because they don't know the value of what there buying or selling. Afterwards when some smart so and so comes along and tells them they either gave the stock away or bought them at a rob they fall for it straight away and it's the dealer's and auctioneers fault then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

One of the local auctioneers would just tell the clerk to "keep writing" when a seller had overshot the mark. I'd usually quote a price to the auctioneer, I'm not saying I'm a better judge than anyone else but I'd know what I had to get for the stock. Most of the time I'd get them sold at near enough what I'd quoted earlier on, it's no harm to put a line in the sand imo. Some lads are easy taken advantage of because they don't know the value of what there buying or selling. Afterwards when some smart so and so comes along and tells them they either gave the stock away or bought them at a rob they fall for it straight away and it's the dealer's and auctioneers fault then.

As a buyer It’s rare if never I’ve got cheap cattle given to me due to the auctioneer not trying his hardest to get the best price for cattle. It can be a long wait when you’ve had the last bid and the auctioneer is scanning the floor for any late bidders.

• Advertisement

Everyone should buy and sell cattle at a mart. You'll see both sides of it then. I was beside a local at a mart one time and he giving out that cattle were too dear. I asked him if he ever thought about going suckling. 'Suckling' he roared back at me, as if to say ' are you mad?'. 😀

Cavanjack wrote: »
    As a buyer It’s rare if never I’ve got cheap cattle given to me due to the auctioneer not trying his hardest to get the best price for cattle. It can be a long wait when you’ve had the last bid and the auctioneer is scanning the floor for any late bidders.

Everything is cheap until you try to buy it imo. There's one farmer in the box selling who reckons the dealer's are claiming his stock and keeping down the prices. There's another farmer on the steps buying reckons the same dealer's are polling him and making the same stock dearer. I see this going on every day of the week, who do you believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Everything is cheap until you try to buy it imo. There's one farmer in the box selling who reckons the dealer's are claiming his stock and keeping down the prices. There's another farmer on the steps buying reckons the same dealer's are polling him and making the same stock dearer. I see this going on every day of the week, who do you believe?

If you are back up on the seats the dealers will poll you away if they think they will get away with it. On line will change that you see less and less really cheap cattle at present. Dealers now have a problem they can no longer control the total market. Before you had to show up at least a second day before they gave up polling you. Now they have to outbid you on line. A computer screen and over fibre is as good as ringside, Mobile phone is a bit unclear. I have bought about 15+ cattle on line at this stage. If its 3-4 I can head off that evening or following morning with the jeep and box. If it more I can get someone to deliver. When you are buying off the euro saver menu there is only so much competition

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The animals from the farm of Johnny Lynch of Macroom Buffalo went under the hammer at 4pm, with bids placed ringside and online on MartEye.

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/up-to-5-56-kg-for-buffalo-calves-at-thurles

A long way from Macroom to Thurles. You'd think he stay more local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

Fr or Hr bullocks at 400kgs. What are they making

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A bit of that does go on though, dealers normally work the lots between themselves but will give a farmer a bit of a run if they get the chance. A good auctioneer would have you bidding against yourself too if you hadn't you're head screwed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Fr or Hr bullocks at 400kgs. What are they making

Friesians 1.5-1.8/kg, Hex 2+/kg

Slava Ukrainii

A bit of that does go on though, dealers normally work the lots between themselves but will give a farmer a bit of a run if they get the chance. A good auctioneer would have you bidding against yourself too if you hadn't you're head screwed on.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't go on but it's easy enough to suss it out if you make any sort of an effort. Some lads love being the victim and will swallow the poison every time. I encounter lads every day that would be well fit to poll themselves without any dealer or auctioneer because they haven't a notion what they're at. You can be the best farmer going inside your own gate but if you can't establish what your product and inputs are worth you'll be railroaded every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭amacca

The animals from the farm of Johnny Lynch of Macroom Buffalo went under the hammer at 4pm, with bids placed ringside and online on MartEye.

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/up-to-5-56-kg-for-buffalo-calves-at-thurles

Why would you pay that much for a castrated male buffalo?....is the meat more valuable or will the animal have a much heavier carcass/killout?

its hardly novelty value and they aint going to be much use if you're getting into mozzarella production??

Advertisement