Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Followed this advice and am now the very proud owner of a 1970 MG BGT. Chrome bumpers, wired wheels, leather seats. Delighted. Now to read the Haynes manual and start shopping/browsing for little bits and pieces online....
    And where are the pics???

• Registered Users Posts: 35,728 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1990-citroen-xm-2-1-turbo-diesel/21495235

Low miles nice spec.
    A future classic at a decent price

OTc2OGJiMzU2ODNiM2MxNzE1MGY5N2FlNDA4ZmI2ODfPpdXFwwIbsYwTSQDQADGQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE4MjgyNDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2250 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1990-citroen-xm-2-1-turbo-diesel/21495235

Low miles nice spec.
    A future classic at a decent price

OTc2OGJiMzU2ODNiM2MxNzE1MGY5N2FlNDA4ZmI2ODfPpdXFwwIbsYwTSQDQADGQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE4MjgyNDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2250 pounds

Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

They don't make seats like that anymore! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Followed this advice and am now the very proud owner of a 1970 MG BGT. Chrome bumpers, wired wheels, leather seats. Delighted. Now to read the Haynes manual and start shopping/browsing for little bits and pieces online....

Excellent choice, I bring the lancia out in almost any weather as long as we are past the salting the road part of the year but I'd doubt I would if it were a convertible.
    I do have to say tho I had to bring her out to the garage before work one morning in the winter and it was a pretty miserable experience compared to a modern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Dades wrote: »
    And where are the pics???

Took these as I left her last night but will get better ones when it feckin stops raining! Bit late asking now but why do people block out the reg in pics online?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

She's a beaut

Took these as I left her last night but will get better ones when it feckin stops raining! Bit late asking now but why do people block out the reg in pics online?

That looks like a beautiful example, well wear and enjoy. What part of the country are you in? Get along to a few classic shows over the summer, its always great when you have a car of your own to show

If you took those photos on your phone, you should be able to edit them in your photo gallery to hide the reg with a brush tool or similar before uploading here

Lovely looking mgb, I don't bother blocking the reg tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

That is a lovely example. I'm not a fan of old British cars by a long shot, but I love the driving position in the MGB, legs stretched out.

Good luck with it.

Really nice looking MG. Paintwork looks super, and the chrome instead of rubber bumpers make a *huge* difference. (I'm sure some elbow grease and good advice here can have that overrider coming up better!)

Summer days and mountain roads are calling. :)

Post outdoor pics when you have 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That MG looks in great nick.

Saw this at the classic show in Swords today. 92 Turbo S, slightly rough around the edges and probably in need of a bit of work for an NCT, but I thought the asking of €1700 was quite reasonable.

46833511904_5e14b055ea_c.jpg

(I have contact details for the owner if anyone is interested)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Saw this at the classic show in Swords today. 92 Turbo S, slightly rough around the edges and probably in need of a bit of work for an NCT, but I thought the asking of €1700 was quite reasonable.

Nice car for under 2 grand. I thought classics must be 30 years old, if not, when does the lower tax/insurance kick in?

tedpan wrote: »
    Nice car for under 2 grand. I thought classics must be 30 years old, if not, when does the lower tax/insurance kick in?

Classic tax is still 30, classic insurance is generally from around 20 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

w124man wrote: »

No, it's a straight 6. V8 was in the 400, 420 and 500.

You could get that engine in the S-Class, smallest engine they offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KevRossi wrote: »
    No, it's a straight 6.

He knows that. He was just questioning how anyone could ask that sort of money
    for that car ;)
    KevRossi wrote: »
    You could get that engine in the S-Class, smallest engine they offered.

And you could even get that engine in the Baby Merc. Biggest engine they offered :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

unkel wrote:
    He knows that. He was just questioning how anyone could ask that sort of money for that car

:D with a name like W124man of course!

Anyway, I've never seen an old Merc interior in such good shape, the netting behind the seats looks brand new!

I do wonder what happened to the old man though, it was clearly just imported with the stena card in the middle section.

Definitely worth 8k imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

tedpan wrote: »
    :D with a name like W124man of course!

Anyway, I've never seen an old Merc interior in such good shape, the netting behind the seats looks brand new!

I do wonder what happened to the old man though, it was clearly just imported with the stena card in the middle section.

Definitely worth 8k imho

I think it would want to have a comprehensive full service history to verify mileage and command that asking price... or 8k

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-8-nct-tax-/19665677

NjYzMmRhNzNiZmM1YTA4MjRhYzk2ZTk5YWE5ZWQ0NmW4RjkFuUxWiaiWHuGjk6hkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjIwOTYzNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This has been much reduced, now €6500 with classic tax and two years test. Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This has been much reduced, now €6500 with classic tax and two years test. Bargain!

A year and 4 months. But yeah seems like a good deal. I'm normally not that fussy, but I wouldn't buy one in that colour though :p

Yeah, the colour is a bit gaudy - but still! I think a proper set of ace plates would set the whole car off lovely. You could buy that for 6 grand and drive around it in the summer with onlookers thinking its a 20 grand car. Winning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bentley-8-nct-tax-/19665677

The color is awful
    Matte black respray with black and red leather interior needed.

Matt black has no place on that car.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Or any car not used by Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kev1.3s wrote: »

I remember watching an episode of a US based car show where they did something similar and called it a "Trolls Choice"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Shane Lynch from Boyzone had a rolls Royce drift car built and had it painted Matt black, I believe.

Advertisement