Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

A few dreamers in there.

The first one looks like it should be in the "abandoned" thread. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

12k for the third one. "Price is firm"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Is there some kind of correlation between an almost 30 year old Mercedes Benz of questionable condition, a vastly over estimated asking price and €56 a year road tax ? The vintage section of Donedeal these days seems to be a haven of elderly Mercedes Benz cars.... Are they really that good, that you could run a 30 plus year old one as an everyday car, simply because the road tax is 'cheap'

• Registered Users Posts: 64,797 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They are that good. Find a good one, in particular a W201 or W124, automatic a must, keep rust at bay and you have yourself a relatively modern car that you can drive every day. Like you say, motor tax is €56 per year, depreciation is zero and classic insurance if you already have another car, is typically €80-€125 per year. Over engineered and very reliable these cars from the golden days of Mercedes-Benz.

That said, those prices up there are ridiculous. My guess is that w124man was putting up some dreamers cars on purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

unkel wrote: »

That said, those prices up there are ridiculous. My guess is that w124man was putting up some dreamers cars on purpose?

I put them up just to see what was said.

The 300SE price is not from a dreamer but more from an addict of some strange substance

The red E200. Well what can I say. I know the car well. Its not mine but I examined it at Terenure last year. It was for sale on DD last year and I went to look again at it. I saw behind the headlamps and under the washer bottle. Rotten. I looked behind the jacking point covers and there was nothing there. Rotten. I then had a quick shufty under the rear and the boot floor and subframe mounts will not be there next year.

The 260E. I know what he paid for it. Its a great car and could definitely be used as a daily but its at least 5k over priced.

The last 200E in fairness is a breaker and worth a tenth of the asking price

Ha! You're usually quite knowledgeable on the old Mercs, so I reckoned it was so out of character, you must have done it on purpose :D

You should have posted that 8 days earlier though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Ha! You're usually quite knowledgeable on the old Mercs, so I reckoned it was so out of character, you must have done it on purpose :D

You should have posted that 8 days earlier though ;)

Oops...which one did you buy?!

Oops...which one did you buy?!

Yesterday minus 8 days was what date? ;)

Yesterday minus 8 days was what date? ;)

Only messing.

I know you're well up on these things!

• Advertisement

They are that good. Find a good one, in particular a W201 or W124, automatic a must, keep rust at bay and you have yourself a relatively modern car that you can drive every day. Like you say, motor tax is €56 per year, depreciation is zero and classic insurance if you already have another car, is typically €80-€125 per year. Over engineered and very reliable these cars from the golden days of Mercedes-Benz.

I suppose my question would be... "If we didn't have a €56 rate for cars over 30, would these Mercs be advertised at all, or at a greatly reduced price"

I have 'several' cars, ranging from the early 1900's, 30's, 50's 70's and my daily which is 20 this year.
    I do have 1 Mercedes, 23 years old, 525,000 odd miles, and apart from a recent brake overhaul, is as good as it could be considering (It's not a car).
    From my experience, any 30+ year old car can be used frequently, but they 'need' to be used frequently, and maintained regardless of cost.
    Some of those offerings on Donedeal are not worth the phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

w124man wrote: »

The 260E. I know what he paid for it. Its a great car and could definitely be used as a daily but its at least 5k over priced.

Knowing what someone paid for a car doesnt form part of the valuation process. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

miller_63 wrote: »
    Knowing what someone paid for a car doesnt form part of the valuation process. :D
    Unless you're the one selling it!

What did he pay for the 260E? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

elperello wrote: »
    lovely...aint worth that money though..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Saggy netting on the rear of the seats, the last one from a few pages back was far nicer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

bri007 wrote: »

All work undertaken by BMW garages,and someone let Advance Pitstop do a clutch in it :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

bri007 wrote: »

Seller is a Boardsie by the looks of it. The name, location and Beemer fan all match up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We better not critique it too much so ;)
    KevRossi wrote: »
    Seller is a Boardsie by the looks of it. The name, location and Beemer fan all match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

All work undertaken by BMW garages,and someone let Advance Pitstop do a clutch in it :):)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/citroen-cx-22-trs-/21421089
    Was talking to owner today, passed NCT today, no advisories, taxed for year (cheap tax now) Should be a bargain for someone.

It's lovely.

Beware though that this new NCT is valid for less than 4 months from now. But obviously should pass if you put it through early for the next test in a few weeks time

Personally if I were in the market for a CX, I would hold out for an automatic GTI. Prestige even if I was patient enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Looks clean alright, though the rear self levelling suspension could be gone which is a bit of a bitchy job to do. NCT ran out 18 months ago which isn't good.

A 280TE was my second car, slightly different colour to that, very smooth cruiser, used 11-12l/100 km and 16l if you pushed on a bit on the motorway. Went to Nigeria via Lome about 20 years ago, probably long dead by now.

It's lovely.

Beware though that this new NCT is valid for less than 4 months from now. But obviously should pass if you put it through early for the next test in a few weeks time

Personally if I were in the market for a CX, I would hold out for an automatic GTI. Prestige even if I was patient enough.

Here's one for you (kind of) https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-citro-eumln-cx-2400-super-semi-auto-c-matic/20249493

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1099360

11358874.jpg

It'd be a shame to see this gone out of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This seems to be the cheapest e30 convertible on DoneDeal. It doesnt look too bad either. Anyone know it ?

Advertisement