Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The heady days of pure luxury. Looking at that I can almost smell the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is utterly beautiful

That is utterly beautiful

CD multi changer n all..
    Even has dealer sticker on rear window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Hang on now lads. Its a C126 and this one doesn't sit right and they are not all they are cracked up to be. They leak, they rust and parts are, if you can get them, eye wateringly expensive. As for the dealer sticker, come on, its yer man Conlon in Kildare, hardly a Mercedes dealer. Maybe a dealer in rusty old Mercs from across the water!

I'm 20 years into the 126 and I can spot a heap a mile away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

swarlb wrote: »

If it's as good as it looks it's a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Mini '80 (or '81) E3,100

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mini-1000/21396135

Ad says 1980 but ncts.ie says 1981, no NCT. Looks nice though!

MWI5OWViMTJlNmU3ZTFkODliOTY0N2E0YThmZDQzZTX8frsyB8mWMnEQOX5bKSG_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjEwNjY0NTR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

w124man wrote: »
    Hang on now lads. Its a C126 and this one doesn't sit right and they are not all they are cracked up to be. They leak, they rust and parts are, if you can get them, eye wateringly expensive. As for the dealer sticker, come on, its yer man Conlon in Kildare, hardly a Mercedes dealer. Maybe a dealer in rusty old Mercs from across the water!

Agreed they are eye wateringly expensive to do anything with,even put fuel into. But it it is stunningly beautiful. The chap who bought that new was at the top of the heap. That was probably the price of a small country in Africa:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Pretty similar to w124’s then really...

Is it not the same Conlons that have Peugeot, BMW - Mini, Jaguar & Land Rover franchise garages. I didn’t think they would be importing rusty old cars... or old cars in general.... I think is wrong to assume the car passed through their hands anyway just because their stickers and number plate surroundings are on the car....

considering the money he is looking to sell this c126 you would be delusional to expect a mint car to be fair...

i think it’s the poor photos which make it look like not sitting correctly.

Maybe the ground is not level. In any case, if it's just tired springs/shocks not a big deal to fix? Assuming the rest of it is solid enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Maybe the ground is not level. In any case, if it's just tired springs/shocks not a big deal to fix?
    It depends, some of them are equipped with self leveling suspension, so may be a bit trickier.

Ah, OK, didn't know that, w124man make a fair point then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Ah, OK, didn't know that, w124man make a fair point then
    That applies to W124 also ;).

supervento wrote: »

Pretty similar to w124’s then really...

Indeed but the spares are still available at (mostly) reasonable prices and early 124's are far better built than those from '93 onwards and don't rust anything like a 126. A set of springs for that C126 will set you back almost €800 if you can get them

Indeed but the spares are still available at (mostly) reasonable prices and early 124's are far better built than those from '93 onwards and don't rust anything like a 126. A set of springs for that C126 will set you back almost €800 if you can get them

you can get Eibach springs for about €250 for a set for a c126 which would be the same price of springs for a W124. The genuine parts are eye watering alright...

I used Eibach and H&R stuff in the past and wouldn't do it again. Springs sagged after about three years. A pair of genuine MB front springs for a 124 saloon are €120 each plus VAT

I used Eibach and H&R stuff in the past and wouldn't do it again. Springs sagged after about three years. A pair of genuine MB front springs for a 124 saloon are €120 each plus VAT

Oh ya, did you get sorted under warranty for these items?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,836 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Pics are dreadful, but it looks tidy. Still an awful long time to go on the 1.3l tax (€358) before it's vintage. Maybe if you have plenty of free storage, haggle hard and put it away?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looking at getting my first classic car. Not a mechanic at all but intend learning the basics as I go and know a decent local mechanic that won't rip me off. Thoughts on these MGs would be appreciated :

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1976-mg-roadster-convertible-with-overdrive-/21356443

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mgb-gt/19887528

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mg-b-convertible-/19424382

Have settled on MG as prefer the real old styling and parts etc should be fairly easily found. I'd probably be squeezing into a midget. A Ford Capri would be lovely too, but out of budget for now. Ones available in budget don't look like safe bets.

A few over on car and classic too don't forget...

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1092842

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

A few over on car and classic too don't forget...
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1092842

Not Irish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1984-volvo-760-gle-53k-miles-very-rare-early-model/21425126

NGUyNDY1MTY3MzE4ZmY5YTE2ZWNjMzM1YWEzMDk4NmEPY--gmmWlYsgPJe2jy5IzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjEyNzYwNDN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Early Volvo
    My Dad had one of these, 1983 model, same colour, same green velour interior, had a boot spoiler too though and was TurboDiesel

They really are built like a tank, bodies are galvanised too so rust is never a problem.

http://m.classicandvintage.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=2257508&r=

Love the colour. Stiff asking price though.

And I'm not so sure about the seller saying: "Long term owner 1988-2018". The car was imported into Ireland in September / early October 2017 at the latest. I know because I brought a car in myself with a ZV number just below that one. But surely a quick phone call would explain that. Perhaps just a slight exaggerration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »

And I'm not so sure about the seller saying: "Long term owner 1988-2018". The car was imported into Ireland in September / early October 2017 at the latest. I know because I brought a car in myself with a ZV number just below that one. But surely a quick phone call would explain that. Perhaps just a slight exaggerration.
    That dealer would take air and price it at €4950.
    Big windows at that place. Well known for it in the classic scene. Always has a stand at Terenure, and I always laugh at his prices when walking past, could fill the "dreamer" thread just on his own!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Nice comfortable bus them Volvos, but an old boss of mine years ago had one, and boy did it like a drink! He had plenty of money but was always complaining of how thirsty it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote: »

Could it have been an earlier import on an age plate that's been swapped over to zv more recently?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Could it have been an earlier import on an age plate that's been swapped over to zv more recently?

Yes that's possible theoretically. Very unlikely that's what happened this car though, with the same dude owning this car for 30 years :D

• Advertisement

i know its not a bargain but eh, nice to see an e30 for sale in any case....

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1094299

Advertisement