Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

info from gameinformer article
    • Takes place in 2029, 2 years after Human Revolution
    • Listed as single-player, no mention of multiplayer
    • Jensen is part of a covert, goverment-sponsored task force called Task Force 29, a new branch of Interpol, to combat a new breed of terrorism
    • Transhumans (augs) referred to as "clanks" by police
    • Jensen doesn't full trust Task Force 29, so he also feeds intel to another covert organization called the Juggernaut Collective (whose potential leader Janus gets brief screentime at the end of Missing Link calling Garvin)
    • In true Deus Ex fashion, you often receive conflicting missions, neither can be fully trusted
    • Eidos won't comment on which ending it considers canon but is trying to string together different parts of each ending for the overall background of Mankind Divided
    • Story is in many ways a story of redemption for Jensen
    • The story they're telling is building to events that take place in the original Deus Ex
    • With Mankind Divided, they're exploring the original game's past; "Is the depiction of past events from the original Deus Ex true? Will we discover stuff we never knew?"
    • Added a lot of diversity to the environments
    • One of Jensen's missions takes him to Utulek Station in Prague, now a ghetto for augmented individuals
    • It is nicknamed "Golem City", based on the real life Kowloon Walled City
    • Shops line the streets, temporary housing units stacked on one another reaching upwards toward the sky; claustrophobic atmosphere
    • Mission to track down a leader of an aug group, but police have captured the informant
    • Can choose to convince the informant's wife for clues or cause a scene with the police
    • Alternatively Jensen can bypass this area of the game altogether and find the leader's hideout on his own
    • Potential for Jensen to engage in tense conversation with the leader, resulting in a diplomatic solution or violence
    • Side quests meant to be more meaningful; ex. players can choose to make deals with criminal organizations and its mob boss might call in a favor later interrupting main missions
    • Doesn't want fetch quests, the team sees the extra quests as a way to explore the main themes of the game more deeply
    • Features twice as many augmentations as Human Revolution
    • Aug examples:
    • Tesla: little darts pop out of Jensen's knuckles allowing him to tag enemies and take them out quietly
    • Silent Run: Allows Jensen to move quickly across any floor without making a sound (can combine with cloaking)
    • C.A.S.I.E.: Allows Jensen to analyze the mental state of individuals, helping him to respond adequately in conversations
    • PEPS Gun: Non-lethal weapon that pops out of Jensen's bionic arm and fires a concussive blast allowing him to knock an enemy out, kill him or flee
    • New remote hack augmentation allows Jensen to activate shortcuts through areas to pass enemies
    • Augmentation features can be assigned on the d-pad for quick selection
    • Augmentations consume a fixed amount of energy, when Jensen stops using them he regains a portion of it
    • Can still refill his augs completely with bio cells, Eidos wants the recharge mechanic to encourage using augs more liberally
    • No plan for Human Revolution saves to carry over, but Eidos is planning for a franchise now, want to expand further after HR's success
    • No plans for a Deus Ex MMO
    • "You can go full combat or full stealth throughout any part of the game"
    • Boss encounters are designed in a way to allow players to approach any way they want (stealth, full combat, etc)
    • Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more so spent several years iterating on gunplay
    • Mankind Divided's moment-to-moment action plays out like a series of set-piece moments, a 'remarkable feat' considering nothing is scripted
    • Jensen can adjust his weapons at any point mid-battle, changing ammo type, firing pattern, scopes, etc. (a la Crysis it seems)
    • Some enemies have external tech like exoskeletons and mechs to combat Jensen
    • Variety of enemies have a diversity of weapons, augments, or other high-tech combat tools, some have high-jump abilities, etc.
    • Focused on making A.I. more intelligent, aggressive, flanking, etc.
    • Certain elements of the environment now react to combat
    • Females are also now part of the regular enemies in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It already exists:
    Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut

Integrates the "Missing Link" DLC, improved textures, reworked bosses (you can non-lethal them now AFAIK), and you have 2 energy cells by default.

Juts finished downloading on Steam, can not wait to start into it this evening after work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Really looking forward to this one. It looks beautiful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

€10 says we see the Statue of Liberty get blown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kiith wrote: »
    €10 says we see the Statue of Liberty get blown up.

Doubt it in this game but you never know. It's strange that the New York skyline backdrop in Deus Ex (2000) did not feature the Twin Towers though. Tempting faith and all that. This game is set 23 years before Deus Ex so plenty of time to blow up Miss Liberty between titles.

• Advertisement

Ah, didn't realise it was set that much before the 1st game. Disregard so, as the Statue of Liberty bombing was a year before Deus Ex.

Yea I was wondering how far it was behind Deus Ex. Interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Doubt it in this game but you never know. It's strange that the New York skyline backdrop in Deus Ex (2000) did not feature the Twin Towers though.

The devs said the reason they left the towers out was because of texture limitations of the skyline so they came up with the story that they too were destroyed by terrorists.

I think with them wanting to make a franchise out of this we might not see this game lead directly into Deus Ex. Might be another game or 2 away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

nice to see it as a direct follow on to Human revolution and to keep the main character the same. Correct my If im wrong but didnt
    bob page
    show up at the end of human revolution? Its been years since I played the original deus ex. I'd love to see a remake of that or even have this series build to that same game, maybe have Jensen interact with Paul Denton at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

nice to see it as a direct follow on to Human revolution and to keep the main character the same. Correct my If im wrong but didnt
    bob page
    show up at the end of human revolution? Its been years since I played the original deus ex. I'd love to see a remake of that or even have this series build to that same game, maybe have Jensen interact with Paul Denton at some point.
    Yes, he showed up at the start and then after the credits. It's never directly stated, but it suggests that he kidnapped the scientists in order to design the Grey Death plague from DX.

I'd love to see a connection between Jensen and a young Paul. In the original game
    you can go into a lab near the end and see all the Paul clones in their tanks (including Alex Denton from the 3rd game).
    little things like that.

At the same time, I want Mankind Divided to have it's own identity and not just be Human Revolution 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

Never actually Finished Human Revolution, I found the boss fights infuriating .

They really were sore thumbs sticking out at nasty angles from a lovely game. If you can, try them again with the reworked battles. They add a few things that make it possible to not have to use guns etc. Not brilliant, but it certainly makes it far more manageable if (like me), you prefer to neglect guns for the silent approach. :)

Edit: and holy crap I can't wait for this game. The trailer....when the music killed in I think I may have 'squeeeed'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    It could be like Deus Ex 2, where they ran with a combination of all three different endings. Total cop out, to be honest. The less said about that game the better.
    info from gameinformer article
    • Eidos won't comment on which ending it considers canon but is trying to string together different parts of each ending for the overall background of Mankind Divided

Called it.

Disappointing to be honest, as I much prefer the Mass Effect way of handling things.

The endings felt as if they had huge consequences for the universe in those games individually, but didn't really change the story line overall. All it did was make you more invested in what was happening, and now the Adam Jensen in this game won't be my Adam Jensen, it'll be some part failure Jensen.

I don't know why the bosses stopped so many people from finishing HR. Yeah, they were poor compared to the rest of the game (being done by a different company didn't help), but there was only 4 of them and they weren't that hard (from what i remember, though it's been a while).

It's a fantastic game though, and the directors cut changed how they worked slightly.

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't know why the bosses stopped so many people from finishing HR. Yeah, they were poor compared to the rest of the game (being done by a different company didn't help), but there was only 4 of them and they weren't that hard (from what i remember, though it's been a while).

It's a fantastic game though, and the directors cut changed how they worked slightly.

Don't get the whole hate for the Boss fights either. Overall HR was an easy game if you played it stealthly as it gave you more xp and praxis kits so you could be more powerful against the bosses instead if you just run and gun the whole game.

I just now bought the Directors Cut to play through the game again and see the new "improved" boss fights.

A joy of the first game was that you could avoid the boss fights completely if you explored and read everything. I could not believe it when I stumbled upon the kill switch code word for Anna Navara and killed her before having to actually fight her. That was a wow gaming moment for me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Don't get the whole hate for the Boss fights either. Overall HR was an easy game if you played it stealthly as it gave you more xp and praxis kits so you could be more powerful against the bosses instead if you just run and gun the whole game.

I just now bought the Directors Cut to play through the game again and see the new "improved" boss fights.

A joy of the first game was that you could avoid the boss fights completely if you explored and read everything. I could not believe it when I stumbled upon the kill switch code word for Anna Navara and killed her before having to actually fight her. That was a wow gaming moment for me at the time.

One of my favourite moments of the first game was when I had enough stats pumped in and a sweet sniper rifle that I was able to take out those MIB b@stards from afar without aggroing them. I'd never played a game before that let you find multiple solutions to different problems. It was the first time I'd ever heard of the Whole illuminati / knights templar mythology too so it had a huge impact on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As mentioned before in the thread....still not sure how it's gonna be linked to the end of Human Revolution.
    I posted back in April that I'd run through it again to refresh my memory...and I did.
    The ending was worse than I remembered.
    This time around I also had the update with that...missing link......wasn't very enjoyable as a DLC tbh, having to start again with Praxis etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

makes me pine for the original Deus Ex. I loved multiplayer in it...silent running cloaked with throwing knives ftw :D used to fright the life out of my co-workers when I'd decloak in front of them and they'd get a knife to the face:D

There wasn't any multiplayer in the original unless it was modded in years later?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

There wasn't any multiplayer in the original unless it was modded in years later?

Patched in if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I don't remember the boss battles being hard in HR and I was doing the no alarms no kills thing.

It was disappointing that you had to fight instead of getting some sort of work around.

So many games coming out and HR ended up going really cheap a short while after launch, so I will wait for a sale, can't wait to play it, but common sense is kicking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

25 mins of gameplay. The nanoblade looks ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

25 mins of gameplay. The nanoblade looks ace.

The commentators voice annoys the hell out of me, it actually put me off watching segments of the video.

"Rich, Immersive characters" Don't make me sick....

the new augmentations look great

Release date is 23rd February 2016

That's an interesting idea.. If they reach their preorder goals, then they'll release the game for these four days early. Also I like how you can pick what you get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Release date is 23rd February 2016

oh for **** sake
    this and mirrors edge releasing on the same day, why in the name of trump

• Advertisement

strelok wrote: »
    oh for **** sake
    this and mirrors edge releasing on the same day, why in the name of trump

Chances are that they'll reach their preorder goals, especially with the possibility of an early release, so I'd say it'd be available from the 20th

Advertisement