Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chance to scrap the Angelus - Nutella, Croissants and Pineapples.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I would have no problem with the muslim call to prayer.What I do have a problem with is when people go out of their way to feel offended.

the definition of offended is "resentful or annoyed, typically as a result of a perceived insult." I dont see anyone saying they are being insulted, more so that its viewed as being either sectarian or promoting Catholicism

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

But you are living in a country that is 96% Christian. Are you suggesting the 1% that are non believers should dictate to the rest of the country?
    Dan - do you intend to continue supporting an irrelevant point with false statistics, or do you want to address the actual issue at hand, that of unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The Angelus is there because the majority of R.T.E.'s viewers want it there. This survey/petition is not going to be worth the paper its printed on. If the majority of R.T.E.'s viewers were Muslim I would expect to see some sort of Muslim programming. If I didn't like it, I would change the channel. My five minutes filling out the petition would be much better served doing something useful like, say, email my local TD about indoctrination in schools. Moaning about 120 seconds of "BONG BONG...." makes people look petty. Most of the programs on R.T.E. are non religious, some could be considered blasphemous. I think its a fairly balanced schedule to be fair to them. Yes its the state broadcaster and in a state full of Catholics one must expect some Catholic TV. 120 seconds is not much really when you consider there are 86,398 more in the day. Why should my license fee go towards religious programming? Well I'm a vegetarian so should I complain when I see meat on R.T.E.? I think horse racing is cruel, should I complain about that? We can moan about petty things till the cows come home but in the end its better to just live and let live.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The Angelus is there because the majority of R.T.E.'s viewers want it there.

Do you have a source for that claim? Was there a poll carried out recently?

If you can read this, you're too close!

SW wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that claim? Was there a poll carried out recently?

No I don't have a source, its an assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I would have no problem with the muslim call to prayer.What I do have a problem with is when people go out of their way to feel offended.

You have just offended me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Told them not to change it. Clearly some don't have enough to worry about in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Told them not to change it. Clearly some don't have enough to worry about in their lives.

And yet you were worried enough to tell them not to change it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Get rid of RTE all together there is no need or point in a public broadcaster in this day and age.

If people want it, let them subscribe to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would suspect approaching the BAI would be a more fruitful method than a survey on RTE, largely because the number of complaints they get through the survey would probably be quite small.
    if the BAI enforce a 'equal time to all arguments' approach on issues like SSM, why not try to get their response on an argument that the angelus is a violation of that same principle.

• Advertisement

What really annoys me about the angelus is that I change back to 2 FM at 18:00 before the first bell chimes. Then in the morning, when I am getting the kids ready for school, I realise that something is annoying the behesus out of me (apart from the kids). Its bloody breakfast republic. Change back to RTE1 and start the cycle all over again.

I know, there are more than two radio stations and I have that internet thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Get rid of RTE all together there is no need or point in a public broadcaster in this day and age.

If people want it, let them subscribe to it.

That is actually a good idea. Let those who want it subscribe to a national channel dedicated to religious programming, and light entertainment. It could be called Religion Television and Entertainment.

Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

But you are living in a country that is 96% Christian. Are you suggesting the 1% that are non believers should dictate to the rest of the country?

Impressive figures, where did you get them from?

Lucena wrote: »

According to the 2011 census 84% are catholic, 30% of whom go to mass weekly, 3% daily.

Non Christian religions and no religions are approx 9.5%

The [...] live and let live.
    Do you want to address the actual issue at hand, that of unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Was thinking that people who want to opt out of the angelus should have the 1 minute per day of their years worth of TV license refunded. Turns out it works out at only 11c :(

robindch wrote: »
    Do you want to address the actual issue at hand, that of unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

Be careful what you wish for. Personally I have no desire to hear the angelus. I also have no wish to be blasted by the shofar, the adhān, or mantras from various religions of the world.

Have you read the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Have you?
    The Angelus is a call to prayer for Catholics.
    It is both unconstitutional to be broadcast by RTE and a waste of taxes and license fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

First of all, your stats are wrong.

Secondly, to use your logic, how can divorce be legal? It is clearly against the majority religion in the country. Ditto contraception, sex before marriage, homosexuality........ In fact, how are we even allowed to have a referendum in six weeks time about gay marriage, when such a thing is clearly opposed by the majority Christian churches. Surely, if we are living in 96% Christian country (your made-up figures, not mine), none of these things should be permitted, or even contemplated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Every time I hear RTE mentioned, I think of the scene from "Of mice and men". Where the dog is old,useless,sick and needs to be put down for its own good.

Yes, I have. Have you read any of the thread?

Do you feel you appreciate that people are unhappy at unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

Do you feel you appreciate that people are unhappy at unequal treatment by a state/semi-state body?

Did you fill out the survey? Did you ask for equal time for all religions? Or did you just ask for the angelus to be scrapped?

Mod:
    Did you fill out the survey? Did you ask for equal time for all religions? Or did you just ask for the angelus to be scrapped?
    Broadly speaking, here's how we try to run things in A+A:

344566.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

Kidchameleon, it might seem petty that one should complain about 120 seconds of "bong bong bong" being broadcast per day but in fact it absolutely is not as it is infringing on our rights as tv license and tax payers: we pay RTE so that it can provide us with informative or entertaining programming, obviously what is informative and entertaining varies with each individual but 60 seconds bong-ing does NOTHING to inform or entertain the viewer of television or the listener of radio, it's clear that it's sole purpose is that of only a religious intent, a Christian call to prayer.

I'm happy for my money to fund say a programme giving historical information about a certain religion as then at least it's intention is to inform/entertain/educate, but having to hear a monotonous bell ring for a minute or two everyday is just nonsensical. It's clearly not up to any programming quality or standard as it's only appeal is for Christians who hear it and have a little pray, but Christians who actually care about their faith should already be aware of what time it is and when they should pray, no state broadcaster should be obliged to remind them, a bell noise is literally useless programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Lucena wrote: »

Plucked it from my butt TBH but I'm not too far off the mark I'd say.Fact is a tiny proportion of the populatio of Ireland are atheist.

ibstar wrote: »
    Every time I hear RTE mentioned, I think of the scene from "Of mice and men". Where the dog is old,useless,sick and needs to be put down for its own good.

And replace it with more of TV3 blockbusters like 'traveller fights' Gypsy Weddings' or 'glenda interviews Z list celeb'

Are you serious Rob? You are unhappy because the angelus is on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Plucked it from my butt TBH but I'm not too far off the mark I'd say.Fact is a tiny proportion of the populatio of Ireland are atheist.

Only a minority of people pray to a deity on a daily basis if church attendance figures are anything to go by. Cultural Carholics do not need this particular reminder.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I see what your saying bigt132 but you have to understand that while the angelus may not entertain you or me, it does entertain many other people. I personally don't like tennis, should tennis be removed from RTE? Should the national broadcaster target the lowest common denominator or should it try to target the broadest audience possible? If there was enough demand for programming for other religions, I would have no problem with RTE running with it. In fairness to RTE, most of their programming is non religious.

Advertisement