Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭gar

I think given that we're in a global pandemic that the self important dickhead runners could give it a rest, stay off the popular walkways - run millennium park or something

I could say the same about the groups standing 4 or abreast regardless of people coming towards or behind them. I run but try avoid the main section there and would consciously go out of my way to avoid people.
    I have cycled up and down the canal with the family too and we go in single file when there is any sign of people.

There are plenty of groups who just dont care - runners, walkers, cyclists. There are the same of the above that do.

The one way system is good and bad. Bad being that people will just assume there is nothing coming towards them so no need to move in therefore forgetting who might be coming behind.

Its a resource for everyone and great to see people a lot more active especailly with kids instead of plonking them infront of the tv for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I am sick of the people having conversations from one side of a path to the other
    while they are social distancing they are forcing other people to walk through the middle of them

Are people really this stupid that they cant see this is wrong and they should stand along one side

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

wpd wrote: »
    I am sick of the people having conversations from one side of a path to the other
    while they are social distancing they are forcing other people to walk through the middle of them

Are people really this stupid that they cant see this is wrong and they should stand along one side

we usually stop 3-4m before approaching these idiots, wait and excuse ourselves

get the odd look but we dont budge until they do

What bugs me also is these middle aged power walker women friends out walking together walking on either side of the path and as they approach you continue in that manner trying to force you out on the road

I love a good game of chicken...!!! :D:D

Wife has the old start coughing routine as they approach if they dont seem to be moving and it soon sharpens their senses...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Terrific facility but the road markings indicating direction of travel are being ignored, some people have zero cop on.

Ya can’t fix stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Lex Luthor wrote: »

What bugs me also is these middle aged power walker women friends out walking together walking on either side of the path and as they approach you continue in that manner trying to force you out on the road

I love a good game of chicken...!!! :D:D

Only this week I nearly had one of them come over the top of the buggy refusing to move as we approached each other. I'd have had to come down off the kerb to avoid her on the Mill Lane. The look I got! Feckin middle aged (entitled) power walker women :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

314 new homes in Naas have been green-lighted by An Bord Pleanala.
    - 208 house, 106 apartments and a childcare facility on two parcels of land located to the east and west of the Devoy Link Road.

https://www.jigginstownshdplanning.com/

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5d3b12dfebc2520001ea89b8/t/5da727fbf38c0b4c6e8e6604/1571235861252/Site+Layout+Plan.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

BuzzFish wrote: »
    314 new homes in Naas have been green-lighted by An Bord Pleanala.
    - 208 house, 106 apartments and a childcare facility on two parcels of land located to the east and west of the Devoy Link Road.

https://www.jigginstownshdplanning.com/

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5d3b12dfebc2520001ea89b8/t/5da727fbf38c0b4c6e8e6604/1571235861252/Site+Layout+Plan.pdf
    I wonder what impact COVID will have on this. And I wonder if all these new houses in Naas, Maynooth, and other commuter towns will go ahead as quickly with the economy slowing, house prices dipping, and a lot of people out of work/working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Tomrota wrote: »
    I wonder what impact COVID will have on this. And I wonder if all these new houses in Naas, Maynooth, and other commuter towns will go ahead as quickly with the economy slowing, house prices dipping, and a lot of people out of work/working from home.

10 kms south and we have a field with ( approx. ) approval for 400 houses. LOADS of objections to this project, as it's not only about the 400, but others that have just been built and no infrastructure planned or carried out in anticipation.. The builder had only just started when the lockdown was announced. We are only hoping the LD puts a ( temporary at least ) halt to this site.

There is however another side to this scenario: the government. They will want to get construction etc going ASAP to get the economy going, and to get coffers in to pay the bills. I only hope common sense prevails and they don't just go gung-ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

10 kms south and we have a field with ( approx. ) approval for 400 houses. LOADS of objections to this project, as it's not only about the 400, but others that have just been built and no infrastructure planned or carried out in anticipation.. The builder had only just started when the lockdown was announced. We are only hoping the LD puts a ( temporary at least ) halt to this site.

There is however another side to this scenario: the government. They will want to get construction etc going ASAP to get the economy going, and to get coffers in to pay the bills. I only hope common sense prevails and they don't just go gung-ho.
    Naas is quite ridiculous. Not enough healthcare facilities, there’s a secondary school being built and they need to build another one already, disgustingly low levels of public transport, very few cycle lanes, etc etc etc. Doesn’t look like any politicians have interest in improving the area, traffic, access to schools, public transport, etc. So I’m hopeful that the new houses will bring some demand induced supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Naas is quite ridiculous. Not enough healthcare facilities, there’s a secondary school being built and they need to build another one already, disgustingly low levels of public transport, very few cycle lanes, etc etc etc. Doesn’t look like any politicians have interest in improving the area, traffic, access to schools, public transport, etc. So I’m hopeful that the new houses will bring some demand induced supply.

It's not just Naas Tomrota. You should see it here in Newbridge. Where I live, we have to cross a bridge heading north, but the said bridge is too narrow for 2 lanes of traffic, so is controlled by a traffic light. ONE footpath, with not enough space for 2 people to cross each other safely ( Social Distancing - SD ) and NO cycle lane. Indeed I cannot recall any cycle lanes in Newbridge ( I don't cycle, so am not 100% sure on this). There is a SEVER shortage of school places, both Primary and Secondary. I don't use the trains, but I believe they are chocabloc in the mornings heading to Dublin ( thats another issue re SD ). We also have a sever shortage of doctors.

It's a effing joke the planning in this country. Always said, politicians here are REactive, not PROactive.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

New 33,000 sq ft healthcare facility planned for junction of Jigginstown and Newbridge roads - beside chadwicks.

Groundfloor = convenience store + pharmacy + a 3rd retail unit.
    1st & 2nd floors = 32 consulting rooms, 3 x minor surgery rooms, reception areas and 76 parking spaces (about 40 in a basement car park).
    Public transport has to be improved and there probably is demand for a circular bus route covering Sallins station through to the northern side of Sallins.

There's also a medical centre in Millennium Park and you have the primary care centre including K-doc.

The new secondary school will take over 1,000 pupils. That's twice their current number. Not sure what will happen to the current school.

What is always important to remember when reading objections to planning, the objectors will paint the worst picture possible. They'll assume 200 houses = 400 cars at 8am in the morning and 2.4 school kids per house and all those kids born in a 5 year period. Planners will use real figures based from anecdotal evidence from similar schemes.

I'm not far from Naas, I would suspect that once the Sallins bypass opens, it will make a huge difference to traffic all around the area. I think that the new medical centre will mostly solve the healthcare issue and the new school will make a large dent in the school issue. But a decent and simple public transport option is desperately needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

silver2020 wrote: »
    New 33,000 sq ft healthcare facility planned for junction of Jigginstown and Newbridge roads - beside chadwicks.

1st & 2nd floors = 32 consulting rooms, 3 x minor surgery rooms, reception areas and 76 parking spaces (about 40 in a basement car park).
    Public transport has to be improved and there probably is demand for a circular bus route covering Sallins station through to the northern side of Sallins.

There's also a medical centre in Millennium Park and you have the primary care centre including K-doc.

The new secondary school will take over 1,000 pupils. That's twice their current number. Not sure what will happen to the current school.

What is always important to remember when reading objections to planning, the objectors will paint the worst picture possible. They'll assume 200 houses = 400 cars at 8am in the morning and 2.4 school kids per house and all those kids born in a 5 year period. Planners will use real figures based from anecdotal evidence from similar schemes.

I'm not far from Naas, I would suspect that once the Sallins bypass opens, it will make a huge difference to traffic all around the area. I think that the new medical centre will mostly solve the healthcare issue and the new school will make a large dent in the school issue. But a decent and simple public transport option is desperately needed.

100% agree. Perhaps get Dublin Bus to take over the 139 to Blanchardstown with city buses and create a new route for it around Naas to include lots more stops and cover more areas that are built up, instead of going straight up through the town and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

pad199207 wrote: »
    100% agree. Perhaps get Dublin Bus to take over the 139 to Blanchardstown with city buses and create a new route for it around Naas to include lots more stops and cover more areas that are built up, instead of going straight up through the town and that’s it.

You need to look at a mini version of bus connects. The last thing you want is a main city or outer bus stopping every 200m.

A transport hub near the civic offices that 3 local routes feed into. Outer area buses stop would stop there, the post office and at the cinema. Local busses would feed into this hub and people can hop on, hop off depending on where they want to get to.

But Naas needs a town manager with powers as otherwise every second rate local politician and local busybody will want a route going by their house because they don't want to walk 500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They've been developing Naas as a big housing estate for Dublin. Have been for years but it's on another level now. Note there's more houses being built in Naas than any part of Dublin. Most all working in Dublin and further clogging up the N7 and services in Naas. Also note no upgrade planned for the N7 and very few updates for services around the town.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

silver2020 wrote: »

Would you have a link to the planning app? Or know who is opening the medical facility? (I.e is it a Laya urgent care centre/ VHI Swiftcare Center etc?)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

32 consulting rooms and no imaging rooms would suggest Centric or similar to me; not Swiftcare-alikes

Pretty sure it's Affidea. There was something on their social media and the Naas ball a good few months back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gar wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's Affidea. There was something on their social media and the Naas ball a good few months back

Affidea are already in Vista, though?

Having used one back in Feb, they had ONE consultation room (with multiple bays; but like 5, not 32) and a few scan rooms.

L1011 wrote: »
    Affidea are already in Vista, though?

Having used one back in Feb, they had ONE consultation room (with multiple bays; but like 5, not 32) and a few scan rooms.

I stand corrected looks like their expresscare is already open up at Vista. Hardly moving or would KDoc be moving to the new site?

• Advertisement

They've been developing Naas as a big housing estate for Dublin. Have been for years but it's on another level now. Note there's more houses being built in Naas than any part of Dublin. Most all working in Dublin and further clogging up the N7 and services in Naas. Also note no upgrade planned for the N7 and very few updates for services around the town.

Statistics last year showed more people now come into Naas to work than leave to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Statistics last year showed more people now come into Naas to work than leave to work.

Come into Naas from where?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I would love to see a link to where you got this information from. Any links to articles etc. I can't find any through Google.

I would love to see a link to where you got this information from. Any links to articles etc. I can't find any through Google.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/345130/kildare-opinion-more-people-travelling-to-work-in-naas-than-are-leaving-for-work.html

Kerry Group are going to be a huge contributor to that; adding nothing to the town centre (they do provide rates, though)

L1011 wrote: »
    Kerry Group are going to be a huge contributor to that; adding nothing to the town centre (they do provide rates, though)

I don't agree. Kerry support tidy towns, the Naas 5k and other local initiatives while also paying every employee for a volunteer day (that's 1100 volunteer days in the local economy). These have been used in town based organisations multiple times.

They fill local hotels regularly and you can't visit a restaurant or pub in town during the week that doesn't have groups of Kerry folks. As an R&D and customer center it by it's very nature brings large groups (of its customers to town) who need entertaining.

Add on all the money they pay their workers that's spent locally.

Your comment could not be more inaccurate.

Also worth noting that The Culinary Food Group (Queally Group) is another large employer in Naas in the food sector. Plus Greenisle also have a factory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Huge amount of employment in Naas

Naas enterprise Park (Toughers)
    Ladytown business park
    M7 business park
    Millennium Park
    Naas industrial estate
    Queally/greenisle
    Aib call centre
    Naas general hospital
    Aldi hq

All the small offices in the town centre.
    Teaching and admin staff in schools

Then you have the nearby industry
    Pfizer
    Lidl hq

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

anyone know where i could get some homemade cakes or buns in north Naas. i'm sick of the mass produced ones in shops.

anyone know where i could get some homemade cakes or buns in north Naas. i'm sick of the mass produced ones in shops.

Could try the sodabread shop if they're back open? I think they cater also so you may be able to order and collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

If you know anybody doing an essential journey near Kilcullen can highly recommend Armelle Kitchen in Kilcullen for proper cake, Naas lack a proper bakery/cafe. Newbridge has Bradburys etc...

Advertisement