Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

152 new appartments coming to Devoy Quarter in Naas.

https://www.devoyshd.ie/

This side of town is being over developed at a crazy rate. Elsmore, Castlefarm, Primrose Gardens all recent additions and no proper amenities being planned. Elsmore 2.0 (other side of the John Devoy road) construction has just started. Castlefarm are trying to remove the creche from their plans just to rub salt. No decent park in the area like Monread or the Lakelands in the future plans. The new Oak park is almost a kilometer away.

What are the planners thinking in Naas.... seems to have run away on them altogether.

Castlefarm: 183 houses
    Elsmore: 258 houses
    Primrose Gardens: approx 110 houses
    Elsmore 2.0 (starting constuction): 314 houses/appartments

Thats 1000+ new homes in an area with no large park or recreation area. Thats on top of the existing Jigginstown estates and Arconagh

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

BuzzFish wrote: »
    152 new appartments coming to Devoy Quarter in Naas.

https://www.devoyshd.ie/

This side of town is being over developed at a crazy rate. Elsmore, Castlefarm, Primrose Gardens all recent additions and no proper amenities being planned. Elsmore 2.0 (other side of the John Devoy road) construction has just started. Castlefarm are trying to remove the creche from their plans just to rub salt. No decent park in the area like Monread or the Lakelands in the future plans. The new Oak park is almost a kilometer away.

What are the planners thinking in Naas.... seems to have run away on them altogether.

They're SHD, the local planners don't have much of a say it seems.

They're SHD, the local planners don't have much of a say it seems.

The local planners sould be allocating space for recreational use. None in this area in the draft 2019-2024 plans. The only hope is that the area next to Enable Ireland has been left as agricultural use for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

They can f**k right off if they think they are putting all that in there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

pad199207 wrote: »
    They can f**k right off if they think they are putting all that in there

As I said before Naas is being turned into a big housing estate for Dublin. There's a reason why they aren't building these houses in Dublin as they know DCC won't grant the planning and they can build much cheaper in Naas.

I don't see the big increase in employment in the town to justify all these new houses. Similarly I don't see recreational amenities or sporting facilities being developed at the same rate. No parking or congestion plans for the town centre. No infrastructure improvements in the pipeline either. Even plans to finish the ring road have been halted for now.

The ring roads are just one big development site and it's only a matter of time before the land between Kerry and the town will be used for more housing. Expect this to continue for many years as KCC seem happy enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Naas & Sallins Draft Transport Strategy

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/content/draft-naassallins-transport-strategy-public-consultation-no-2-0

I'd recommend as many of you as possible provide your feedback. The Council are totally disconnected with reality, their number one proposal was to add digital signage around the town listing free space in car parks. This went out to public consultation and almost no one thought it was a good idea, so hopefully they scrap that plan.

respondents overwhelmingly said, they want to walk kids to schools but do not feel safe. They also state HGVs going through the town should be rerouted around the ring road, this would make it feel safer for children walking to school. Yet the council seem to want to ignore the suggestion of rerouting HGVs. Also high up was opening up foot paths between some estates which would make trips shorter and away from the main roads so safer also.

In terms of improvements there is a lot of low hanging fruit in naas, but we need to spell this out to the council and local TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

It would help if the council "Listened" try message them on Social and get no response, message a councillor and get no answer, really not sure who they represent

Valhallapt wrote: »

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/content/draft-naassallins-transport-strategy-public-consultation-no-2-0

I'd recommend as many of you as possible provide your feedback. The Council are totally disconnected with reality, their number one proposal was to add digital signage around the town listing free space in car parks. This went out to public consultation and almost no one thought it was a good idea, so hopefully they scrap that plan.

respondents overwhelmingly said, they want to walk kids to schools but do not feel safe. They also state HGVs going through the town should be rerouted around the ring road, this would make it feel safer for children walking to school. Yet the council seem to want to ignore the suggestion of rerouting HGVs. Also high up was opening up foot paths between some estates which would make trips shorter and away from the main roads so safer also.

In terms of improvements there is a lot of low hanging fruit in naas, but we need to spell this out to the council and local TDs.

The ring roads already have an insane amount of HGVs.

There's many kids living on the ring roads too, that also would like to walk to school.

Volume and noise from traffic is the single biggest problem for me in Naas. The town is so loud from traffic.
    It's offensive to the ears walking around town sometimes.

The green bus driving through town must be as loud as a small jet engine.
    The volume of traffic on the Ring Road around Enable Ireland is so high it almost ruins the area. (From HGVs and otherwise, as I think it's the surface of the road that's the problem).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

Although the builders are "bypassing" KCC for planning, one of the main problems is that the Naas local area plan for the last number of years. The last plan was passed back in 2011 and expired in 2017, so everything is still based on that plan, despite the fact that the town has changed a lot since then.

KCC presented a new draft plan in 2019, but it was so bad, they had to abandon it after the "office of the Planning Regulator" has lots of problems with it.

Apart from all the signs they are planning, one of the key objectives is a new road called, the Gallops Avenue. This is, in effect the inner relief road that was rejected by councilors last year. The plan for that road was to take all the traffic off Naas Main street and to push it up a new road, which rules via residential areas, though ballycane to linkup with the ring road at the Ballymore road. The timeframe for this is 6 to 10 years away.

There are problems with this route but instead of trying to address them, it looks like they planning want to wait until after the next set of local elections and dust off the old plan again.

The ring roads already have an insane amount of HGVs.

There's many kids living on the ring roads too, that also would like to walk to school.

Yea I suppose that’s true. I wonder will the Sallins bypass help remove some of the HGVs?

Volume and noise from traffic is the single biggest problem for me in Naas. The town is so loud from traffic.
    It's offensive to the ears walking around town sometimes.

The green bus driving through town must be as loud as a small jet engine.

I was thinking it’d be nice if more of the coffee shops could put outdoor seating on Main Street. But you wouldn’t be able to hear yourself think.

Why is naas so loud, I haven’t noticed this in other towns.

• Advertisement

Yea I suppose that’s true. I wonder will the Sallins bypass help remove some of the HGVs?

I was thinking it’d be nice if more of the coffee shops could put outdoor seating on Main Street. But you wouldn’t be able to hear yourself think.

Why is naas so loud, I haven’t noticed this in other towns.

The draft transport plan, mentioned above, relocates the bus stops to the harbour area (new bus exchange), with a direct link to the new Junction 9a for motorway access. That should remove some noise from town center. With Junction 9a open, that will remove some futher HGVs from town center also I'd imagine.

The South Ring bypass has a terrible surface on it though. I pity anyone living on that side of Elsmore as the noise must drive them mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hi Guys. I need a Gardener to do a small job for me as I dont like heights,

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hi Guys. I need a Gardener to do a small job for me as I dont like heights,

Any recommendations?

Is the Garden on the roof?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ivy on the side of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Is that new development across the road from craddockstown golf club going ahead soon. its on the left fields on the road from naas to blessington. recall they are going to put an additional 1000 housing units there.

Ivy on the side of the house.

ivy normally grows up. so if you cut the roots/branches from the bottom of the house it will kill anything growing up. 5 minute job.

ivy normally grows up. so if you cut the roots/branches from the bottom of the house it will kill anything growing up. 5 minute job.

I dont want to kill the ivy. I want to take a foot off the top near the Eave and around the windows tidied up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does your insurance cover you having ivy? It often invalidates structural cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

L1011 wrote: »
    Does your insurance cover you having ivy? It often invalidates structural cover

Good god, will you let the man cut his ivy!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Wow they’re actually putting in new bus routes so people can use the train station? The bus will have to be integrated with the LEAP capping and LEAP 90 discount, have to have clear route number/livery/etc. if it is to be a success. Naas area is too big not to have proper bus services at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

..,In terms of improvements there is a lot of low hanging fruit in naas, but we need to spell this out to the council and local TDs.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

Is that new development across the road from craddockstown golf club going ahead soon. its on the left fields on the road from naas to blessington. recall they are going to put an additional 1000 housing units there.

That site was put on the market a few months ago, so I wouldn't expect that construction will kick off anytime soon.

https://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Blessington-Road-Naas-Co-Kildare/924099/

As it was brought up recently about the road noise, I'd like to gauge people's opinions - is Naas too loud from traffic?
    Anyone living along the Ring Roads annoyed by it?
    Does the Monread triangle have a lot of road noise?

I might try bringing it up to councillors to get some movement on it.

Personally, it gets on my wick that it's not something thought about at the planning stages of houses/roads/development in general.

As it was brought up recently about the road noise, I'd like to gauge people's opinions - is Naas too loud from traffic?

Personally, it gets on my wick that it's not something thought about at the planning stages of houses/roads/development in general.

It annoys the hell out of me too. How can you get movement on it though? They built roads to segregate commercial traffic from residential then they built houses on those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It annoys the hell out of me too. How can you get movement on it though? They built roads to segregate commercial traffic from residential then they built houses on those roads.

I thought one of the councillors had brought this up and there was a plan to re-lay the road, but not until the major construction trucks had moved on. New road surface materials are substantially quieter.

Combined with tree covering should make the noise acceptable.

And the fact noise barriers weren't put in as requirement of planning permission.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I thought one of the councillors had brought this up and there was a plan to re-lay the road, but not until the major construction trucks had moved on. New road surface materials are substantially quieter.

Combined with tree covering should make the noise acceptable.

Any references on that? Could be useful.

I think it needs a bit more immediate attention than that tbh.
    Not only the noise issue, but the entrance to Castle Farm is dangerous with the amount of pedestrians crossing the road plus the level of traffic. An accident waiting to happen.

whats the monread triangle?

i find the neighbours blasting music or banging from makeshift workshops in garages are of more concern in terms of noise.

whats the monread triangle?

i find the neighbours blasting music or banging from makeshift workshops in garages are of more concern in terms of noise.

The housing estates between the Dublin road and Sallins Road i guess. (looks like a triangle on Google maps :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

whats the monread triangle? .

A musical instrument

Advertisement