Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Whitethorn Village is the new Cairn development underway opposite Elsmore.

www.whitethornvillage.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looks like the inner relief road which is badly needed won't be going ahead anytime soon.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/551679/naas-residents-voicing-outrage-that-inner-relief-road-going-through-estates-is-up-for-discussion-again.html

I don't blame the residents at all, it's just bad planning all round.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like the inner relief road which is badly needed won't be going ahead anytime soon.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/551679/naas-residents-voicing-outrage-that-inner-relief-road-going-through-estates-is-up-for-discussion-again.html

I don't blame the residents at all, it's just bad planning all round.

It’s brutal planning. The route further out the Blessington road would be far suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

sadly naas has less political clout than leafy south dublin. the projected road would not be tolerated there. they dont tolerate mass building of homesthere, but in naas we put up with another 4000 homes being built.

i think we should get out there with our placards and stage a protest at the site entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

sadly naas has less political clout than leafy south dublin. the projected road would not be tolerated there. they dont tolerate mass building of homesthere, but in naas we put up with another 4000 homes being built.

i think we should get out there with our placards and stage a protest at the site entrance.
    For me, I don’t really mind development. A town can’t standstill and improve. However, we see 4000 houses going up in two years, yet we have NO improvements to roads, infrastructure, hospitals, transport, schools, etc.

We have the sallins bypass and a secondary school going up... that’s it lol. Very few cycle lanes, crap transport, no DART expansion, terrible congestion, no improvements to medical facilities, etc etc. And we have that stupid road which should start further down the blessington road as the other used said. We also have that complete eyesore of a shopping centre that should’ve been sorted out years ago. I think that KCC really give a damn about the place, let’s get naas moved to Co. Wicklow lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

What does that achieve? You need to protest outside KCC. The problem isn't the builders but your county council haven't provided the infrastructure and services.

pad199207 wrote: »
    It’s brutal planning. The route further out the Blessington road would be far suitable

Its only bad if it passes your house.
    I'm 100% in favor of it,In fact they should build both.
    Even though I moved out of Naas after 34 years !
    Would make visits to the family easier.

Little known fact is that the entrance to lakelands was designed to connect to the entrance of sundays well but it never happened .Must have been scrapped early on,It also would have connected nicely to the tipper road and onto the gallops.
    Its why lakelands has the wide green.

road.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

The Government brought forward the opening of gyms and swimming pools to next Monday. Nobody seems to have told K Leisure. They are still informing us on their website that they are closed until 20th July.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reopening dates are not compulsory latests, just earliests - if you've arranged deep cleaning and staffing for a specific date its not the easiest to pull it back. Could still change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Called k-leisure today. Taken unawares by the announcement and currently planning their reopening. Should be an update within a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Naas & Sallins Draft Transport Strategy

https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/content/draft-naassallins-transport-strategy-public-consultation-no-2-0

I'd recommend as many of you as possible provide your feedback. The Council are totally disconnected with reality, their number one proposal was to add digital signage around the town listing free space in car parks. This went out to public consultation and almost no one thought it was a good idea, so hopefully they scrap that plan.

respondents overwhelmingly said, they want to walk kids to schools but do not feel safe. They also state HGVs going through the town should be rerouted around the ring road, this would make it feel safer for children walking to school. Yet the council seem to want to ignore the suggestion of rerouting HGVs. Also high up was opening up foot paths between some estates which would make trips shorter and away from the main roads so safer also.

In terms of improvements there is a lot of low hanging fruit in naas, but we need to spell this out to the council and local TDs.
    I see this consultation ends today. The biggest problem I have with this strategy is that they’re putting all their eggs in one basket - three local bus routes all terminating at the train station. That means KCC See rail as the main transport method for Naas In the future. Great. But what about the overcrowding that currently exists on the trains? It’s really bad for health and safety reasons on Long journey trains that aren’t even designed for standing on. They have DART listed as a long term strategy when in fact it should be short-term, with the population explosion taking place in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Didn't IE order carriages last year. Though delivery is a couple of years away AFAIK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GavMan wrote: »
    Didn't IE order carriages last year. Though delivery is a couple of years away AFAIK

They did, but not a lot and there'll be demand from all over the network for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Tomrota wrote: »
    I see this consultation ends today. The biggest problem I have with this strategy is that they’re putting all their eggs in one basket - three local bus routes all terminating at the train station. That means KCC See rail as the main transport method for Naas In the future. Great. But what about the overcrowding that currently exists on the trains? It’s really bad for health and safety reasons on Long journey trains that aren’t even designed for standing on. They have DART listed as a long term strategy when in fact it should be short-term, with the population explosion taking place in the area.[/QUOTE

That's an understatement IMHO. Next station down ( Newbridge ) has a multitude of hundreds of houses either being built or in the pipeline. Which can only mean more people using the trains thus resulting in less seating available by the time the train reaches Sallins/Naas.

As for going the other way? Free-for-all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone know what's happening with the old snooker hall? Lots of activity around there the past while.

im normally negative, but emphasis by KCC on train is great to hear. it means they wont reduce services. and it will be busier but means less likely to put up the price. fair enough it will probably be standing room only but id take 30min standing on a train to heuston than 1 hour on a bus not knowing how the road traffic will affect naas to dublin. arent the medical experts telling us that we are sitting down too much anyway.

red_bairn wrote: »
    What does that achieve? You need to protest outside KCC. The problem isn't the builders but your county council haven't provided the infrastructure and services.

protests by sallins residents at naas playground a few years ago for a sallins playground. they got the publicity and the kcc got them a playground.

kcc dont want us annoying them as we block their entrance.

protesting at the new road site will get better publicity as it will be clear what we are protesting about. we arent protesting at a new housing development. we are protesting where employees/contractors of kcc are building the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

beertons wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with the old snooker hall? Lots of activity around there the past while.

no idea.

I wish we had a snooker hall in Naas.

I currently play in Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

no idea.

I wish we had a snooker hall in Naas.

I currently play in Celbridge

Likewise, I play in Newbridge CYMS

Any of the pubs back open?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Grace's, not this week.
    33 South Main, July 8th.
    Cooke's of Caragh, july 1st.
    Monread, open.

Grace's, not this week.
    33 South Main, July 8th.
    Cooke's of Caragh, july 1st.
    Monread, open.

Any idea if Lawlors is open?

Just looking for somewhere in the town for a pint this week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any idea if Lawlors is open?

Just looking for somewhere in the town for a pint this week.

Just checked their fb, open today from 12:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why you'd look to follow through on a purchase after the initial hassle is unbelievable.

And paying physical cash? Crazier!

Always pay by transfer, it takes a few hours at most.

The bigger garages may charge a little extra, but the peace of mind is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Lock13 in Sallins

33 South Main pushed out two more weeks, will have the new section open on July 20th.

33 South Main pushed out two more weeks, will have the new section open on July 20th.

Cheers, tried Lawlors but they wouldn't serve us without food. Had already eaten in Butt Mullins.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Cheers, tried Lawlors but they wouldn't serve us without food. Had already eaten in Butt Mullins.

That'll be the case where ever you go these days. No drink without food.

You'll have to get food regardless, for the next two weeks. That might be pushed out even more now, with numbers creeping back up.

I work in the hospitality industry, and have heard of a good few places, jammed, and no food on tables. But they're a good bit outside Naas, and not in area's Id recommend to someone living down here.

The Town House Hotel are doing grub too, forgot about that one. They were packed all day Monday, according to a guy I met whilst donating blood on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Yeah thought we'd get a few pints in the random Inn but it wasn't to be. Ah well saved a few pound at least.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement