Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Nothing new in that. Every time someone gets a payrise or paycut the terms and conditions of the contract are charged.

All of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with being a 'bad worker' and Ive no idea where you got that notion. Its about future proofing yourself so that you dont find yourself in a position where your only option is to stay somewhere you are treated badly OR sign on the dole queue. Personal responsibility?

Read the thread it was mentioned I'm just replying.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Most companies operate very well with their employees without unions.

Internal staff representatives and regular meetings are a lot more condusive to good relations than a union barging their way in and telling little white lies to generate membership and bad relations with the employer.

Dunnes could certainly improve the way they do things, but Mandate are going about it totally wrong.

On the "dismissals" - usually a company with 15,000+ employees will have a few staff every couple of weeks that they find not suitable. And going on strike within 3 weeks of starting is not the type of employee you want working for you.

All I'll say is if you are working for less than 13 weeks, a company does not ahve to give any reason whatsoever or notice to get rid of you. Even up to a year, a compnay simply can say you are not suitable and give no real reason.

Hence, if you are working less than a year with an employer and you want to stay in the job, I would not contemplate taking any strike action whatsoever. If you are ina job over a year, strict procedures are n place and you have a lot more security.

The union failed to tell many staff that because the union don't give a damn about the staff - it all about power and money to them too.

The one part of the unfair dismissals act that protects people before the first year kicks in deals specifically with tu activities. So those people sacked within 13 weeks will get their day in the LC. It is of course up to them to take the case and more importantly convince the court and win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The one part of the unfair dismissals act that protects people before the first year kicks in deals specifically with tu activities. So those people sacked within 13 weeks will get their day in the LC. It is of course up to them to take the case and more importantly convince the court and win it.

Labour Court is a union mouthpiece and has ZERO powers to enforce decisions.

Dunnes (and many others) file any Labour Court correspondance under BIN.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Labour Court is a union mouthpiece and has ZERO powers to enforce decisions.

Dunnes (and many others) file any Labour Court correspondance under BIN.

You are partially correct however there are a number of determinations under various acts that are legally binding. Perhaps it's time now that FG and LP are introducing collective bargaining and union recognition legislation that the LC receives full authority to enforce decisions.
    Memo to me -Must ring ICTU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

No worker should be fooled in thinking that not joining a trade union is of benefit to them. Not joining a trade union only benefits management because when push comes to shove a employee has little power to do anything about a change in their pay and conditions if a employer decides to change it.

Germany is a example of a country that has generally enjoyed excellent management- worker relations despite being heavily unionised.

Dunnes Stores are out of order plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

well, nearly two months down the road and i haven't shopped in Dunnes since they allegedly let some of the workers who had taken part in the strike go; it's a small stand but better than nothing. Kind of miss shopping there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

belinda502 wrote: »
    well, nearly two months down the road and i haven't shopped in Dunnes since they allegedly let some of the workers who had taken part in the strike go; it's a small stand but better than nothing. Kind of miss shopping there though.

Do you think, in the long run, Dunnes or it's employees will be more affected by reduced custom like that?
    I discussed shopping elsewhere with an employee who said "Good God no! we need to work not to be laid off or hours reduced due to less customers." :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Good for you! My other half who works their and her colleagues are getting treated very badly since the strike.
    Still though, she does our shopping their as they give us €30 off our next shop if you spend €150

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Where do you shop now? Lidl, Aldi, Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Do you think, in the long run, Dunnes or it's employees will be more affected by reduced custom like that?
    I discussed shopping elsewhere with an employee who said "Good God no! we need to work not to be laid off or hours reduced due to less customers." :confused:

Fair enough. I read in the 'Indo' business section that Dunnes is doing really well so it would appear they haven't lost custom by the way they treated the strikers.

I am shopping now mostly in Supervalu because they have a food academy, are supporting new Irish businesses and they appear to be (correct me if I'm wrong) mostly family owned franchises managed by Musgraves. I heard two new business owners on Anton Savage's show this morning talking about how great Supervalue was at supporting their new businesses.

I get coffee and cheese in Lidl because it's gorgeous and very reasonable and do a little bit in Aldi - apart from that it's going to be Supervalue for me in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fair enough. I read in the 'Indo' business section that Dunnes is doing really well so it would appear they haven't lost custom by the way they treated the strikers.

I am shopping now mostly in Supervalu because they have a food academy, are supporting new Irish businesses and they appear to be (correct me if I'm wrong) mostly family owned franchises managed by Musgraves. I heard two new business owners on Anton Savage's show this morning talking about how great Supervalue was at supporting their new businesses.

I get coffee and cheese in Lidl because it's gorgeous and very reasonable and do a little bit in Aldi - apart from that it's going to be Supervalue for me in future.

My local SV has a Food Academy fridge with goats cheese made in Holland in it, bizarre stuff.

Advertisement