Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Those contracts are only viable because people accept them.

Because some people have no option but to accept them. These sort of contracts should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

titan18 wrote: »
    Seems rather pointless to strike just to lose your job. Some hours are better than no hours.

Yep. That's why they're striking. To, lose, their, jobs.

:rolleyes:

Clueless clown. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Because some people have no option but to accept them. These sort of contracts should be illegal.

How do you make them illegal.
    The contract is for a minimum no of hours, what is wrong with that ?.
    Increasing the minimum via legislation would probably impact part time jobs

Problem isn't so much the contract, rather how the hours are administered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dunnes in Tullamore deserted
    Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Captain Peanuts McDrummie

Nobody was in the Waterford store either. They had one manager sitting on the tills there and another one staring at the striking staff with a phone to his ear. Delighted that happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Seems odd to want to them to have lost millions as then people will just be out of jobs. Seems rather pointless to strike just to lose your job. Some hours are better than no hours.

Not really, it gets to the point that Dole is better paid that these zero hour contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Gringo180 wrote: »

Course they have options. They can up skill, further their education, look for another job, emigrate, go on the dole, start their own business.

It's very narrow minded to think there are no other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Course they have options. They can up skill, further their education, look for another job, emigrate, go on the dole, start their own business.

Not all options are good for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

As is your right.

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.

Bang on, ,, people working in low paid jobs to feed their families need to know what hours they will have, and not to be taken advantage of.

Kenny and his buddies let this happen, how did these clowns ever think 0 hours contracts are a good thing.

FG will be voted out next chance we get, It will be 10 years they ever got back in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

It's very easy to write out a list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

satguy wrote: »
    Bang on, ,, people working in low paid jobs to feed their families need to know what hours they will have, and not to be taken advantage of.

Kenny and his buddies let this happen, how did these clowns ever think 0 hours contracts are a good thing.

FG will be voted out next chance we get, It will be 10 years they ever got back in again.

Bloody Gubberment!

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble.

*Shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I worked in Dunnes a few years ago after finishing college as could not get work with my degree. I worked my a**e off for the 3 month contract and was let go at the end of it. I was called back a week later and offered another 3 month contract which I accepted and worked my backside off despite seeing other people doing f all and had been retained. 2 days before this ended I was told through the grapevine I was being let go. Fortunately I have moved onto bigger and a lot better things since. No way you could survive on their income deffo better off on the dole. One week I may only make around 150 and the most I ever got a week was 300 which was a once off. The place is riddled with politics, you can tell that the upper management are a pack of *insert any bold word here*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.

I prefer not to pass a picket, but it's very unfair to tar people who do as being somehow nasty. If I went to my local Dunnes, it's a 5 minute walk for me to the Tesco nearby. However, to an elderly person that walk and back could be impossible, especially with groceries to carry. And I definitely think nobody should be criticising someone who needs their groceries from going in and buying them.

On another note, how are the management in the stores going to be treated tomorrow I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Doubt if there is much morals left in the supermarket game.

Suppliers being paid late
    Suppliers paying hello money
    Margins being squeezed suppliers paying the price

And when there is nothing left to screw, the workers are screwed. Hope Dunnes enjoyed their reduced profits day.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

I had to pass a picket today because they were at the main entrance to the retail park and I wanted to go to another shop in there.
    Really thought they should be at the door of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not really, it gets to the point that Dole is better paid that these zero hour contracts.

Guess they can go on the Dole then and Dunnes can get people in willing to work those contracts. No matter how people feel about them, people will work those contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Sono

Guess they can go on the Dole then and Dunnes can get people in willing to work those contracts. No matter how people feel about them, people will work those contracts.

Still doesn't make it right does it? They are exploiting people whether it's you or the next person who comes along it's disgraceful treatment of human beings.

Are all the staff expected back in work tmw does anyone know? It will be some hostile atmosphere when they all return and best of luck to them for standing up to this shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Dunnes stores in Cabinteely was jam packed last night (going by the amount of cars I could see as I drove past it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have people forgotten that Dunnes took people on to stack shelves through jobsbridge? Just one example of how little they respect staff.

My friend started about 9 months ago as a regular employee on a 3 month contract. After two of those contracts she was made permanent (along with a group of others), this was management trying to satisfy the Unions' complaints about the high level of people on temporary contracts. Within the next three weeks, all the group were let go. I have not shopped in Dunnes since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

athtrasna wrote: »
    Have people forgotten that Dunnes took people on to stack shelves through jobsbridge? Just one example of how little they respect staff.

My friend started about 9 months ago as a regular employee on a 3 month contract. After two of those contracts she was made permanent (along with a group of others), this was management trying to satisfy the Unions' complaints about the high level of people on temporary contracts. Within the next three weeks, all the group were let go. I have not shopped in Dunnes since.

Super value and tesco also used the jobbridge scheme (from a quick Google), not sure of aldi or lidl, doesn't show much for these stores as well, such an awful scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Hococop wrote: »
    Super value and tesco also used the jobbridge scheme (from a quick Google), not sure of aldi or lidl, doesn't show much for these stores as well, such an awful scheme

Not to mention some schools....

Not to mention some schools....

Its a great idea if used right but as usual its abused, sorry for going off topic

If dunnes negotiated were they knew it would be a quiet week and gave some 15 hours but over 3 days as opposed to 5, would that suit the workers as they could claim the other 2 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - let's stick to the topic at hand.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭emo72

If dunnes negotiated were they knew it would be a quiet week and gave some 15 hours but over 3 days as opposed to 5, would that suit the workers as they could claim the other 2 days?

That's really a fair idea. Why don't they do that? It wouldn't cost dunnes anything. Beggars belief that they spread it out over 5 days.

emo72 wrote: »
    That's really a fair idea. Why don't they do that? It wouldn't cost dunnes anything. Beggars belief that they spread it out over 5 days.

Would the government have a problem with it? If dunnes have 10000-14000 staff would that mean 1000-2000 could be claiming 1 or 2 days pay every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭emo72

Would the government have a problem with it? If dunnes have 10000-14000 staff would that mean 1000-2000 could be claiming 1 or 2 days pay every week?

No. It's not breaking any rules. As it stands someone could work 1 hour a day over 5 days. And only earn less than half a days wages. Although it would suit the government to say less people signing on. That really isn't fair though.

emo72 wrote: »
    No. It's not breaking any rules. As it stands someone could work 1 hour a day over 5 days. And only earn less than half a days wages. Although it would suit the government to say less people signing on. That really isn't fair though.

If dunnes did that could the government intervene?, I doubt they could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I was driving home yesterday and heard a Dunnes advert on the radio advertising their 20% online discount. It was the same woman who does all of their ads ( with the enthusiastic voice to boot )

I thought it was very brazen and in a sense it was giving their workers the two fingers. If they had any class they would have taken their medicine but that just doesn't fit in the Dunnes Stores ethos.

Lidl FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Fully support the Dunnes workers. Other supermarkets can do banded hours and a minimum 4 hr shift per day and still come at pay to sales ratio, no idea why Dunnes can just invest in the IT to produce the info to deliver this.

At the end of the day they must be over spending by not moving with the times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Heard earlier that collective bargaining legislation to be enacted in May/June of this year. Labour beginning to influence their social programme before the election. Better late than never I suppose.

Advertisement