Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Looks like not all dunnes stores went out .
    Just back from my local one in city west no picket and staff are all working away plenty of customers doing there weekly shops .

2 girls i talked to said they voted against the strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't shop in Dunnes because it's overpriced, the product offering is sh*te and their staff are beyond useless (possibly a case of Dunnes reaping what it sowed).

However, I have no problem passing a picket line and have done in the past. As has been pointed out many times, workers have a democratic right to strike, and everyone else has a democratic right to ignore that strike if they feel it's not their battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tugboats wrote: »
    It could but the OP seems to be working away and gettting his 25 without too much issue. If he was to be seen on the picket he will be targeted. Its not right but thats the way Dunnes are operating. Most on the the picket feel they have nothing to lose. The OP feels he has a lot to lose and may have a shorter outlook than others. He wants to keep his head down and get his 25hrs until he gets the hell out of Dunnes. He doesnt deserve criticism.

Where do reach the assumption that most on the picket have nothing to lose? I know people who are ft and people getting 30+ hours standing in solidarity with their colleagues

tommullane wrote: »
    Im not looking for people to commend my reasons for not striking. Just feel you've a very narrow minded approach in to looking at why im striking. Your more looking for a reaction of people instead of stating your opinion and then leaving it off imo. Spagetti hoops and toast might have been fine for you but it is certainly not for me. With spending so much time between college and work along with hurling here and there I think its fair to enjoy a meal that might fill me and give me a bit of energy.

Ya that is a possibility but so far that has never happened me so I don't see why it would happen now as long as I do an honest days work. It is a near certainty that my hours will be cut if I strike.d

What is the broad reason I'm.missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Passed a picket on the way home.
    There's a shopping centre with a number of shops with Dunnes being the anchor tennant.
    The picketers are out at the entrance to the centre as opposed to the Dunnes entrance.

They're screwing over everyone else in the centre due to their grievance as people are loth to cross the picket line.

What a bunch of knobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Gatling wrote: »
    Looks like not all dunnes stores went out .
    Just back from my local one in city west no picket and staff are all working away plenty of customers doing there weekly shops .

2 girls i talked to said they voted against the strikes

If they are union members they should follow the decision of their union though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

efb wrote: »
    Where do reach the assumption that most on the picket have nothing to lose? I know people who are ft and people getting 30+ hours standing in solidarity with their colleagues

many have been quoted as saying they have nothing to lose because their terms and conditions are so bad anyway. Full times obviously have more protection and they are losing a days pay but would face limited or no consequences going forward. I fully support those on strike but understand the student who is worried

The Op is neither a full time worker nor a worker who is there looking for better conditions. He is there to pay for college and then get the hell out of there. Why is that so hard to understand? Because of what Dunnes will do to him hes taking a short sighted view which he is entitled to do which is work in Dunnes and then get the hell out of there.

many have been quoted as saying they have nothing to lose because their terms and conditions are so bad anyway. Full times obviously have more protection and they are losing a days pay but would face limited or no consequences going forward. I fully support those on strike but understand the student who is worried

The Op is neither a full time worker nor a worker who is there looking for better conditions. He is there to pay for college and then get the hell out of there. Why is that so hard to understand? Because of what Dunnes will do to him hes taking a short sighted view which he is entitled to do which is work in Dunnes and then get the hell out of there.

So I should support self centred reasons? I've no reason to do that or accept it

Where did you find that information out?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've just deleted a group of off-topic and bickering posts. Any further off-topic posts will now receive immediate warnings, infractions or bans, depending.

dudara

• Advertisement

Where did you find that information out?

He told us he is a student paying his way through college and is happy with his 25 hours:confused:

He told us he is a student paying his way through college and is happy with his 25 hours:confused:

No, that was a contributor to the thread, not the OP.

efb wrote: »
    So I should support self centred reasons? I've no reason to do that or accept it

no but he doesn't deserve criticism. He clearly stated he doesn't feel good about doing it but Dunnes have backed him into a corner. He doesn't need people having a go at him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

In my local Dunnes the centre manager wouldn't allow them to picket inside the centre or in the car park so they have had to go outside the main entrance. I rang the centre manager to complain that he was causing unneccessary hassle for the other stores. Funnily enough he was unavailable to take my call. I fully support the Dunnes staff in their fight for decent hours and it annoys me to see them being treated like this.

No, that was a contributor to the thread, not the OP.

:rolleyes: I meant the poster that brought up crossing the picket who is being discussed for the last 2 hours in this thread and you know that.

:rolleyes: I meant the poster that brought up crossing the picket who is being discussed for the last 2 hours in this thread and you know that.

Apologies, you said OP so I thought you knew something that I didn't! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Cork Lass wrote:
    In my local Dunnes the centre manager wouldn't allow them to picket inside the centre or in the car park so they have had to go outside the main entrance. I rang the centre manager to complain that he was causing unneccessary hassle for the other stores. Funnily enough he was unavailable to take my call. I fully support the Dunnes staff in their fight for decent hours and it annoys me to see them being treated like this.

If it is a shopping centre with other shops and they are in the main thoroughfare OUTSIDE the Dunnes then Dunnes management have no right to prevent them

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Has anyone got a link to what the staff are striking over exactly? I have a friend who worked in Dunnes on the 15 hour minimum contract and her hours could also vary from 15 one week and 35 the next, then 20 etc etc. Obviously this is inconvenient but by signing the contract she was aware of this..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

hdowney wrote: »
    If it is a shopping centre with other shops and they are in the main thoroughfare OUTSIDE the Dunnes then Dunnes management have no right to prevent them

If it's a retail centre where there is other tenants then the centre manager can step in to maintain businesses interests

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

daveyeh wrote: »
    I went past a Dunnes Stores earlier. Picketers outside seemed to be getting a lot of support. The store was practically empty.

Hilariously, a small group of managers were inside the store eyeballing the strikers & looking quite worried & angry. :pac:

The nearby Tesco store was the busiest I've ever seen it outside of Christmas!

Local Aldi store was mental busy too, full of confused oul ones trying to get their head around be speed of the till operator and not packing their shopping at the till. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

hdowney wrote: »

It was actually the Manager of the shopping centre that wouldn't allow them to picket inside the centre (at the entrance to Dunnes itself).

Lidl was mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Went to Tesco and it was insanely busy! I guess it was to do with people avoiding Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Love to know how much Dunnes lost out on today, hope it was millions.

Worked there years ago, the management are little more than Hitler-complex arsehole bullies in cheap suits.

**** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

They're complaining about getting treated badly. What do they expect, it's a low skilled, low paid job. Maybe they should've went to college and got a worthwhile qualification and they wouldn't be in this predicament.

What a horrible thing to say. These people still put in the hours like the rest of us, what difference does it matter whether its stacking shelves or flying a plane there still sacrificing there time so they should be threated with some respect by there employer. How on earth could you plan ahead on zero hour contracts. Your attidude stinks give your head a good shake ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

those people that are striking in dunes new what the terms and conditions of the job were when they started work there- no one forced them to work there- if they don't like the terms and conditions they are free to leave- why don't they- let someone who wants the job take them- the contracts they are working under are perfectly legal- well done Dunnes- unions have destroyed many company's in Ireland- look at the successful company's - no unions- Ryan Air - for example- I have passed the dossers on picket duty today and will do so again gladly-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

wupucus wrote: »
    those people that are striking in dunes new what the terms and conditions of the job were when they started work there- no one forced them to work there- if they don't like the terms and conditions they are free to leave- why don't they- let someone who wants the job take them- the contracts they are working under are perfectly legal- well done Dunnes- unions have destroyed many company's in Ireland- look at the successful company's - no unions- Ryan Air - for example- I have passed the dossers on picket duty today and will do so again gladly-

Finally deciphered the above.

So whats to stop every company and employer in Ireland to follow suit with zero hour contracts? Is that the way you would like things to go? Its a sad state of affairs when people are sticking up for big corporations who make 100s of millions in profits year in year out instead of the ordinary joe soap who works his bollox off week in week out for a pittance, and not only a pittance but to add insult to injury there on zero hour contracts. People with your attitude make me sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.
    I think it odd that people would have a blanket rule about not passing any picket.

Do people not even take into account what a strike is about? Like if 2 of the head executives of Dunnes were on strike since they were forced to take business class flights instead of first class would people still not pass the picket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Finally deciphered the above.

So whats to stop every company and employer in Ireland to follow suit with zero hour contracts? Is that the way you would like things to go? Its a sad state of affairs when people are sticking up for big corporations who make 100s of millions in profits year in year out instead of the ordinary joe soap who works his bollox off week in week out for a pittance, and not only a pittance but to add insult to injury there on zero hour contracts. People with your attitude make me sick!

Those contracts are only viable because people accept them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

daveyeh wrote: »
    Love to know how much Dunnes lost out on today, hope it was millions.

Worked there years ago, the management are little more than Hitler-complex arsehole bullies in cheap suits.

**** them.

Seems odd to want to them to have lost millions as then people will just be out of jobs. Seems rather pointless to strike just to lose your job. Some hours are better than no hours.

Advertisement