Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

<SNIP> Sorry to delete but we're getting into allegation territory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I had to pass a picket today because they were at the main entrance to the retail park and I wanted to go to another shop in there.
    Really thought they should be at the door of the shop.

Sometimes the owners/managers of the Retail Park/Shopping center won't let them in, (esp when it is Dunnes themselves) so they are at the main entrances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

iamtony wrote: »

<SNIP> could be a few bs rumours spread to make dunnes look worse, then again it might be true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

<SNIP>
    Heffernan seems to run this place more on the lines of a nazi concentration camp rather than a proper company. The most successful companies worldwide are the ones where staff are part of the running of the organisation and are valued. I Don't think Dunnes shops are well run. They're falling behind the competition, desperate inconsistent layouts, poor ranges, basically very Middle of the road stores with 0 innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Links?

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Links?

They can basically sack who the like the way they have it. If you till is up or down they can warn you and if it happens 3 times you can be sacked, same applies to lates, 3 lates in a year and they can sack you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

They can basically sack who the like the way they have it. If you till is up or down they can warn you and if it happens 3 times you can be sacked, same applies to lates, 3 lates in a year and they can sack you.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - I'm uncomfortable with going into the allegation territory here, and I have snipped the posts to reflect this. Please respect this. This is the Consumer Issues forum and we are not going to discuss employment law, and the political aspects of strikes here. Let's stick to the Consumer side of the strike. I'm sure there are other threads more suited to other aspects of the discussion.

dudara

If you till is up or down they can warn you and if it happens 3 times you can be sacked, same applies to lates, 3 lates in a year and they can sack you.

Sure that's how it was 20+ years ago when I worked in Superquinn? Nothing new there in the supermarket trade. And rightly so IMO.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Sure that's how it was 20+ years ago when I worked in Superquinn? Nothing new there in the supermarket trade. And rightly so IMO.

Doesn't make it right. I personally don't think it's right, they are dealing in many cash transactions every day and things will go wrong sometimes we are only human and I don't think it should be a sackable offence in any line of work.

• Advertisement

Doesn't make it right. I personally don't think it's right, they are dealing in many cash transactions every day and things will go wrong sometimes we are only human and I don't think it should be a sackable offence in any line of work.

It's not a sackable offence. You get 3 warnings.

If you can't keep a till straight you shouldn't be handling cash. There's normally a tolerance of 20-50 cent a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ohh, bad business decision imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

If its true. Its disgraceful. Now they will well and truly be boycotted I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the union is really serious, an all-out strike is the only option. Putting pickets on stores every so often and giving the public notice means that people can rearrange their shopping schedule, still do their weekly shopping there and not pass a picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

has there been any kind of confirmation of those dismissals? if nothing else i find it hard to believe the company's sense of PR could be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Irish Times has a video interview with someone who was dissmissed https://www.facebook.com/irishtimes/posts/10152843283506158

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I don't see what the problem is if people were dismissed. People are well aware of dunnes and their attitude towards unions before they work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

garhjw wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is if people were dismissed. People are well aware of dunnes and their attitude towards unions before they work there.

I guess we should just abolish the minimum wage, annual/public holidays and maternity leave while were at it as well.

If you sign the contract its your own fault i guess ?

I guess we should just abolish the minimum wage, annual/public holidays and maternity leave while were at it as well.

If they don't like the conditions get a job elsewhere. Collective bargaining is just a way for unions to bleed companies dry.

I disagree with 0 hour contracts but unions shouldn't be able to pressure companies with the threat of strike action.

I worked in dunnes when I was in college and saw the Unions trying to weasel their way in.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think there is an issue when there's staff victimisation. My local Dunnes in Dundalk was on plenty of national press for firing a guy who got exemplary performance reviews in the immediate wake of the strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Red Alert wrote: »
    I think there is an issue when there's staff victimisation. My local Dunnes in Dundalk was on plenty of national press for firing a guy who got exemplary performance reviews in the immediate wake of the strike.

This was a guy who left and joined paypal and then left paypal and asked for his old job back.

Unfortunately, going out on strike just 3 weeks after starting a new job (doesn't matter if he had been there for 20 years befopre leaving for Paypal) is not conducive to continuing employment.

Mandate used their own bully boy tactics with many part-time staff such as students and tried to get them to join in too and gave quite a few mis-truths about the issues.

But Dunnes pay well above minimum wage, (and pay increase in 2013 & 2014) they give all holiday entitlements and are known to work around family commitments where possible and where the staff member is considered to be good.

Unfortunately they also have their fair share of lazy workers and I of the view that good workers never need a union, lazy ones do because good workers will always progress / get hours and regulations (quite strict) are there to ensure entitlements are given.

Dunnes are strict - but so are other retailers such as Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.

From what I see, this is commercial suicide by the workers and Dunnes may very well start cutting trading hours and even mothballing loss making stores (about 6 from what i believe). If they close those 6 stores, then other shops in those centres would find it difficult to stay open and a knock on affect of even more job losses.

I Bet mandate would never think like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Are the terms that are being disputed now the same terms that were in place when contracts were signed? Why enter into a contract and then dispute the terms? (And that could apply to any contractual situation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Are the terms that are being disputed now the same terms that were in place when contracts were signed? Why enter into a contract and then dispute the terms? (And that could apply to any contractual situation)

Nothing new in that. Every time someone gets a payrise or paycut the terms and conditions of the contract are charged.

delahuntv wrote: »
    But Dunnes pay well above minimum wage, (and pay increase in 2013 & 2014) they give all holiday entitlements and are known to work around family commitments where possible and where the staff member is considered to be good.

Unfortunately they also have their fair share of lazy workers and I of the view that good workers never need a union, lazy ones do because good workers will always progress / get hours and regulations (quite strict) are there to ensure entitlements are given.

Dunnes are strict - but so are other retailers such as Aldi, Lidl and Tesco.

From what I see, this is commercial suicide by the workers and Dunnes may very well start cutting trading hours and even mothballing loss making stores (about 6 from what i believe). If they close those 6 stores, then other shops in those centres would find it difficult to stay open and a knock on affect of even more job losses.

I Bet mandate would never think like that!

'..good workers never need a union... ' I've heard it all now. They must have been really bad workers so in Waterford Crystal, Dell, Gama,....

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    '..good workers never need a union... ' I've heard it all now. They must have been really bad workers so in Waterford Crystal, Dell, Gama,....

Unions played a huge part in Waterford going under. They go greedy and look what happened.

garhjw wrote: »
    Unions played a huge part in Waterford going under. They go greedy and look what happened.

A lot of pensioners in Waterford rightly delighted that the Unions fought their case. Those workers in Dell, the American MNC, who stated they never needed a union were only too happy to go to Siptu when Dell fxxxed off to Poland and they needed someone to negotiate redundancy packages. Plenty of people require the services of TUs. You only need look at the Work Forum on this site, or the NERA website or the website of the Labour Court.

But sure, according to some posters on here only 'bad workers' need unions.:confused:

But sure, according to some posters on here only 'bad workers' need unions.:confused:

Its nothing to do with being a 'bad worker' and Ive no idea where you got that notion. Its about future proofing yourself so that you dont find yourself in a position where your only option is to stay somewhere you are treated badly OR sign on the dole queue. Personal responsibility?

• Advertisement

Most companies operate very well with their employees without unions.

Internal staff representatives and regular meetings are a lot more condusive to good relations than a union barging their way in and telling little white lies to generate membership and bad relations with the employer.

Dunnes could certainly improve the way they do things, but Mandate are going about it totally wrong.

On the "dismissals" - usually a company with 15,000+ employees will have a few staff every couple of weeks that they find not suitable. And going on strike within 3 weeks of starting is not the type of employee you want working for you.

All I'll say is if you are working for less than 13 weeks, a company does not ahve to give any reason whatsoever or notice to get rid of you. Even up to a year, a compnay simply can say you are not suitable and give no real reason.

Hence, if you are working less than a year with an employer and you want to stay in the job, I would not contemplate taking any strike action whatsoever. If you are ina job over a year, strict procedures are n place and you have a lot more security.

The union failed to tell many staff that because the union don't give a damn about the staff - it all about power and money to them too.

Advertisement