Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options
  • 02-04-2015 5:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

What is the general consensus about the action being taken? Will anyone pass the pickets?

All posters please see Mod warnings here and here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Well done to them, although they have been pushed all the way. No I will not pass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Won't be passing either, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Good for them, thumbs up from me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm sure people will pass the pickets <SNIP>

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm sure people will pass the pickets, <SNIP>.

I won't be passing the picket, but I have a car and the ability to go elsewhere. Passing the picket doesn't make you a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

MarkR wrote: »
    I won't be passing the picket, but I have a car and the ability to go elsewhere. Passing the picket doesn't make you a scumbag.

To be fair this wasn't just sprung on us today. If some people have nowhere else to shop but Dunnes (highly unlikely) then they could have done it yesterday or could do it tomorrow. I'll be shopping in tesco this week for the stuff I normally get in Dunnes. I'll also go to my local Dunnes on my lunch break to stand there and support the strikers. Good on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

archieknox wrote: »
    What is the general consensus about the action being taken? Will anyone pass the pickets?

Where will I get my oranges?

Won't pass picket.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Cork Lass wrote: »
    To be fair this wasn't just sprung on us today. If some people have nowhere else to shop but Dunnes (highly unlikely) then they could have done it yesterday or could do it tomorrow. I'll be shopping in tesco this week for the stuff I normally get in Dunnes. I'll also go to my local Dunnes on my lunch break to stand there and support the strikers. Good on them.

I agree, there are other places to go, and the strike plans were public for some time. Still doesn't make you a scumbag for passing a picket.

I've been reading on facebook that the Dunnes workers in Shannon were not striking, that they felt they were being treated well. Any strikers outside would not be representing them, but request people shop elsewhere? Third hand info, so apologies for being vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No won't pass the picket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Despite all the hype that exists on social media regarding union/non union issues in my experience I think a majority of Irish people actually do respect pickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

I got an email from Dunnes this morning advertising a 20% online sale "today only" - Mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Staff have the right to picket but people have the right to pass it.
    Calling people scumbags or scabs is derogatory, abusive and not acceptable in this thread. Post civilly or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I wouldn't judge people for passing the picket, but I support the strikers 100%. Dunnes seem to be a desperate employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Supporting the strikers, definitely. Never know when you might have to picket the gate yourself, and you'd be glad of other's support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Patser

oakshade wrote: »
    I got an email from Dunnes this morning advertising a 20% online sale "today only" - Mmmm

Dunnes Facebook page getting some abuse where they advertise this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Least we should forget:
    galljga1 wrote: »
    Where will I get my oranges?

They have the right to strike and its not as if they are looking (IMO) for something outlandish. They are asking for some stability in their working lives.

I'll get the fruit elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I fully support the Dunnes Stores workers.

When a company hires someone, they have a responsibility towards that worker to treat them with respect, just as the worker has a responsibility to his/her employer to do honest work for their pay.

zero hours or wildly fluctiating hours contracts are very unfair on employees, as is their rostering system that does not give the workers adequate notice of when they will be working week on week.

It is totally unacceptable for an employer to call people in the morning of their day off and expect them to come into work, it's also unacceptable to bring someone into work and then tell them that they have to go home because the shop isn't busy and they're not needed.

In other professions where there are requirements to come to work at short notice, employers pay for their workers to be 'on call'. Dunnes doesn't do that. It doesn't pay its workers enough to compensate them for the working conditions it expects of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And yet thousands apply to work for them every year .
    Woder why alot of these staff just don't pack it in and go elsewhere .
    It's not as if they have no other options

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I know people who left Dunnes because of this issue, so it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

Gatling wrote: »

Some people actually don't have the option - jobs aren't exactly 10 a penny in case you hadn't noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

WOn't pass the picket either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I won't be passing the picket. I'd never pass one. My grandmother would turn in her grave (if she had one!) if I did that. Was raised up in a family to be supportive of workers rights and unions and the like. Think zero hours contracts are disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Wont be passing the picket line. I'll go SuperValu instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

hdowney wrote: »
    I won't be passing the picket. I'd never pass one. My grandmother would turn in her grave (if she had one!) if I did that.

OT but I'm just curious. Is your grandmother dead or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

OT but I'm just curious. Is your grandmother dead or not?

She is. She was cremated though - hence no grave to turn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Will be dropping in on way home, it's the most convenient place for me to stop so won't be changing my plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Lidl have the same 10 hour contracts, I have 20 in the last year
    and im there 9 years. seems to be the norm for most big stores.
    And like dunnes they still take on staff, while people there years
    begging for more hours .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Varik wrote: »
    Will be dropping in on way home, it's the most convenient place for me to stop so won't be changing my plans.

As is your right.

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Never passed a picket, certainly won't, in this case either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Gatling wrote: »

for most of them there isn't, quite a few would be on the old contracts earning over €10 an hour which goes up annually, if they leave they go back to minimum wage and lose the annual increment contract and therefore a chunk of their wages not to mention it is essentially "a job for life", the new people joining tend to be for the most part college students who come and go once they graduate and don't mind starting on minimum wage.

Advertisement