Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

It was grand for what it was. Some points to note.

Monster Hunter Rise got way too long of an intro, though. Pretty sure majority was rehashed from previous Directs.

Thought it was funny how the announcer said it was games 'coming out this year' and then the following 3-4 games were 2023.

Square Enix carried the Direct. I counted 4 titles from them.

Looking at release schedule, maybe Bayonetta 3 has slipped into next year or maybe a December title?

Noticed that this Partner Showcase had the exact date on it unlike the 2020 editions which showed the month. Perhaps this is a one-off?

Edit: Odd there was no mention of Klonoa. If there was ever a game that could have done with - even a brief - mention, this would have been the game. Obviously Namco were aware of the Direct with the PAC-MAN remake game announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Absolutely delighted with the Persona games being announced. Atlus announced them for XBox and PC earlier in the month and it is obvious now that Nintendo asked them to hold off announcing for Switch.

Live A Live is another interesting JRPG which I might give a spin (I see the demo is out today).

Other than that, nothing else really said BUY ME!! and certainly not at full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Portal collection is a bargain at €20. Portal 2 is one of my all time favourites. Apparently they are running at 60fps too which is great as I don't have the means to play them on steam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some great stuff shown. Pac man world is a bit of an underappreciated gem but yeah, klonoa should be getting more love.

Megaman battle network collection is a bit of a bargain considering the sheer amount of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I thought Pacman looked like a lot of fun. Nice surprise that Portal is out, never played them before so definitely going to give them a go, heard a lot of good things

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Had to buy Portal, again...

It's bloody amazing!

Hopefully the rest of The Orange Box will make it out, including the Half Life series and Team Fortress 2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to release them before the next Direct announcing Portal 3 as console exclusive on Switch. 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That makes perfect sense!

Tune in on 10/08 at 2pm (UK time) for a livestreamed #Splatoon3 Direct presentation. Join us in the Splatlands for roughly 30 minutes of updates! Watch it here: http://spkl.io/60174plih

• Advertisement

Played and finished both on the Wii U so won't be getting the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Only noticed recent that Twilight Princess HD is starting creep back up in there in price the same way the GCN original did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You want more rumours?

Nintendo Switch is Getting Tons of GameCube Remasters, Insiders Claim

So much salt on standby. "The games mentioned in the thread included F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, and Pikmin 1 and 2. The Legend of Zelda GameCube remasters games are also allegedly set to appear during a Nintendo Direct this month."

I was hoping Switch would be powerful enough to emulate Gamecube games. It is, as demonstrated by Super Mario Sunshine, but perhaps the effort needed to make it work consistently for multiple games doesn’t justify adding them to NSO+. Remasters at €60 a pop might be the more lucrative option.

Twilight Princess is trying to break the record for Zelda game that has been released on most consoles lol.

"Twilight Princess is trying to break the record for Zelda game that has been released on most consoles lol."

That would possibly be Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, Switch. Twilight Princess would be 4 platforms when/if the inevitable port happens.

And you can guarantee that these Wii U ports will be €60 a pop. The process of porting Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD to Switch will be minimal. They're still going to be €60 each though.

It remains to be seen what work is done on the other Gamecube games if these rumours are true. If they're from the ground up full remakes I wouldn't be as begrudging of a €60 price tag. There's a reason why companies are all over these remakes/remasters/ports like a hot rash. The vast majority of the work is already done; story, character design, world/level design, music, etc, etc. Less work, more profit, and they won't reflect that there's less work by lowering the price. There is the odd exception, like Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition on Switch.

Gamecube games are 20 years old. The newer hardware will innately allow them to run at better frame rates and resolutions. If you look at N64 games on Virtual Console, they're €10. Wii games on Wii U were €20. So going by that, a straight port of Gamecube games would slot in the middle of those 2 price points, at €15. Though I think all those prices are too high to begin with anyway in this day and age for a digital copy. On Wii U alone, N64 games have been €10 for a decade, in 2022 they should be worth less.

Anyway, the old Virtual Console model is dead now. Nintendo won't be selling them at €15 each. I don't know if Nintendo would add them to NSO. It would be far more lucrative to make a few tweaks, upgrade textures, a few quality of life improvements, maybe allow for online play in some of them and then sell them for €60 each.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tbh if you want to play GC games these days, either original hardware or dumping the games and putting them in Dolphin is the way to go. (The main use my Wii gets these days is a periodic bootup to dump some discs - it's a slow process but at least it means I'm no longer tied to aging physical hardware for those games...)

As for the €60 rereleased games - yes, it sucks, don't buy them if you're unhappy at the price. (Particularly not if you have the originals and hardware available and a PC to run Dolphin on!)

I've several Wii consoles in various states of modding, a PAL and NTSC Gamecube and a PC with Dolphin on it, but I still rarely ever play 'Cube games!

I think I like the idea of having them on the Switch but, much like Super Mario Sunshine, I would be unlikely to play it again.

Maybe, maybe it is that I am waiting on just the right game, I really enjoyed Waverace on the GC, as well as TP and FZero, so perhaps if they turned up I would play them again, can't see playing them through though.

No chance I will be spending €60 a pop on them, I imagine they might be released in €60 compilations of three titles, a little like the 3D Allstars pack, in which case it might well be worth it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

F-Zero, MK:DD, SSB:M and NFS:MW are probably the GC games I'd most likely revisit (maybe Paper Mario and the 1000 Year Door). I have the Prime Trilogy on Wii, and while I like the thought of replaying Eternal Darkness, it's one game where a true sequel or full remaster would be something I'd support - it had some nice ideas and was a lot of fun, but I suspect will look and feel its age now...

More rumours.

It Takes Two Might be Headed to the Nintendo Switch – Rumour

Jeff Grubb mentioned it too on the latest The Nintendo Shack Podcast.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IR-P7iE0i5M

It's an interesting watch. Jeff says Nintendo are sitting on a tonne of stuff that they'll put out when they feel the time is right or there's a gap in their schedule.

Next, is Mario.

Leaker claims a new 2D Mario game is in the works that will have a "surprising" new art style

I’d take a new 2D sprite-based Super Mario game. Call it Super Mario World 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yeah, a new 2D Mario would be great. But "surprising" reeks of click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Similar, and Wii U rarely gets switched on either. I must say that the Steam Deck has been a revelation on that front, in terms of playing the Gamecube version of Wind Waker. I would have definitely jumped at a remastered version of that on Switch. Now, it would need to be offering something pretty decent for me to consider it.

It's a wonder Super Mario Galaxy 2 hasn't appeared on Switch yet in HD form.

I'm thinking this plus maybe a few other big hitters like Wind Waker HD are lined up for Switch Online.

Sony are now providing a load of first party AAA stuff ( in addition to MS ) on their subscription service ..

Based on the 3D Allstars pricing, SMG2 should be around the €15-20 mark on the eShop, so putting that as a freebie on NSO (even if it's the higher tier) seems remarkably implausible for Nintendo when they're in a highly profitable phase.

I'm baffled it's not up for sale, but then they may be wanting to keep some titles in the vault as a backup option in case other projects get delayed unexpectedly...

Yep.

Nintendo only reach for the nuclear button when absolutely necessary.

Like when they gave Metroid Prime trilogy for 10 quid on Wii U e shop. And the 3ds price reductions. Both when sales were not as planned.

They've no incentive at all now. Plus Switch is very cheap to manufacture now.

LOL everything has to relate back to Direct rumours.

That's pathetic, if true. I would hope not. The Direct was rumoured to be next Wednesday, maybe Friday. I certainly wouldn't delay anything for that awful institution.

LOL calm down. Don’t get your undies in such a twist.

Take your own advice.

Microsoft have the right idea, and made the announcement since.

That should have more of a bearing on Nintendo's own plans.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Advertisement

Mod Instruction: Hi Folks, everything has been going pretty smoothly in this forum for some time now.

Do not allow debate to descend into personal insults, please.

Let that be an end to it.

And, just as a further point, while there might be many if not a majority of persons here who have little interest in the events happening in the UK right now, please don't assume there are not those using this forum who might be grieving and please try not to insult them.

Advertisement