Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So…. any farming sims coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SquEnix have been busy bunnies during COVID.

Thought that was very disappointing except for Zelda at the end.

Why was there so many farming games? 😂

Was hoping they would add Gameboy or Gamecube games to switch online. Can't see myself keeping my subscription after it's up in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Must be saving WWHD and TPHD for a rainy day. No Metroid news either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah same here. Hoped for an expanded Virtual Console or whatever they’re calling it, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and something, anything Metroid Prime, maybe even a 2D Mario.

BOTW2 aside there was really not much to get me excited and nothing that won’t look and play better on another system.

• Advertisement

So the "Insiders" had no inside information after all (Shocking). No Gamecube games (Liam Robertson deleted their tweet), no Zelda HD ports, no Metroid. Jeff Grubb must be crying somewhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I am personally shocked that the clickbait merchants turned out not to be oracles of the future. (Would've liked some news on MP4 but tbh I wasn't really expecting it - feels like it might be a 2023 release since we got Dread in late 2021)

I agree with others here, that Zelda trailer rescued the Direct from being average. Zelda and Pikmin 4 were the real standouts. I can leave everything else. Tales of Symphonia Remastered, great game, but I already own it, played and finished it. If it's going cheap at some point physically, I'll buy it. Lots of ports and remasters. Others might get excited by Octopath Traveler 2 and Fire Emblem Engage, but they're not for me. Rhythm games, no thanks. Cloud versions of games, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Kirby, Zelda, Pikmin 4. All good.

They’re preparing their “Switch Pro releases May 12th 2023” tweets right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Delighted with the Harvest Moon remake, sickened it's not out until next summer like so many of their other offerings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks like the Japan Direct got a sneaky little Radiant Silvergun port announcement too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah didn’t realise, had only seen the individual trailers on the Nintendo US site and didn’t spot it there. Good to know it got a bit of love outside Japan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Tears of the kingdom ...

What a coincidence with the monarch across the way dying.

So we know why the direct was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So we have a title and a date. I'm guessing only 1 of those will stay the same.

As someone else said, what's with all the farm/life sims?

Seeing Bayo 3 reminded me I preordered the special edition.

I assume Fatal Frame 4 will be releasing on multiple platforms like FF5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yeah disappointing direct. I think the lesson I've learned here is to ignore the rumor clickbait. Would of loving TP on switch or a new 2d Mario game.

When we got the date for BotW that held. I don’t see why the date for TotK can’t be the same. Nintendo nowadays rarely announce exact dates without meeting them. They could have just said another “Spring 2023” if they wanted to have wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

And I thought twilight queen would have been a bit too on the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fire Emblem definitely my pick of all that Octopath 2 and Tales of Symphonia look epic too. No Mystical Ninja again not even Goeman 64, would hope the legal or technical stuff for Goldeneye is possible to open up other Rare games

Conkers Bad Fur Day Jet Force Gemini Banjo Tooie being on my want list.

Square definitely had a gaggle of stuff ready and waiting pity loads look as unfinished as Crystal Chronicles was they need to dial back on the season pass for simulation games it's getting loot box level at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So did anyone else get thrown by the Metroid logo appearing in the top left for Goldeneye?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Jaysus thank god the Switch isn't my main console cause a good 70 percent of most of these recent directs are a pile of shite. Unless your really into the cartoon styled Japanese games wtf do you even play on the Switch every month?

I'm sure if I really had to id find stuff to play but Nintendo are getting away with murder in the Western world when you see the crap Sony and Microsoft get yet there's constantly a flow of diverse interesting games for the whole world not just Japan being released on both of those consoles especially Sony's.

The amount of rehash content and still at this stage no word on a new Mario platformer or Kart game is mental. I'm sure the new Zelda game will be amazing but what else is there on the horizon that could actually rival any of the other consoles?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I was wondering recently what is the last killer Switch game? I haven't played anything in depth on it in ages.

All I've played since last year is party games with my son and partner. I've downloaded a good few with the aim of playing them but ended up going to the PS5 or Series X instead and playing the same games or something else on there.

Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing are only ones I've put big hours into on the Switch in a good while.

I really think they need to be launching the Switch 2 in the next 18 months. Not getting big modern 3rd party AAA games anymore is annoying and if we do get any it's a ridiculous full price cloud version. Even more annoying when you see a new handheld like the steam deck playing them (I know they're different price points).

More ports of the best 360/PS3 era games would have been welcome over the years as well (obviously not completely down to Nintendo). Games like RDR, Mass Effect 1-3, Batman AA and AC, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, GTA 5. I know people will say just play them on other platforms but handheld is the big selling point for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

When did Nintendo last actually compete with other consoles for big AAA releases? I would argue not since the GC at latest.

Like the Wii before it, the Switch has tapped into a broad audience - unfortunately Nintendo haven't learned their lesson about shovelware on the eShop so there's a lot of crap there.

I mean, yes, I'd love it if Nintendo were to give me a new amazing game every month for €10 or whatever, but they've never sold the Switch as being a direct equivalent of PS5 or PC so I don't think that's a realistic complaint.

If you aren't happy with the rate of compelling new Switch games for you, fair enough - maybe changing to a Steam Deck would be better for your usecase. You'll certainly get better sale discounts that way.

Personally, as someone with a PS5 and Steam Deck, I’m still using the Switch regularly. Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 are my current ‘big games’ and both much better than anything else I’ve played on that scale this year (Elden Ring excepted, obviously). Bayonetta 3 is the game I’m most looking forward to in the rest of the year. Still plenty of life left in the little fella yet IMO. While I’ve moved elsewhere for indie games mostly, the Switch exclusives are still pretty killer compared to any other major platform, even as it falls behind in resolution and performance. And Tears of the Kingdom looms large over absolutely everything else on the horizon.

Of course I also love booting up my PC and dialling up Ray-tracing and resolution (and hopefully Switch 2 will embrace the dark magic that is current upscaling tech), but if the game is good enough the Switch more than suffices until its successor arrives.

I meant to say in my post as well that the frame rate for Tunic and Sifu looked terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Really depends on what games you're into I suppose. I moved into a new place almost a year ago and haven't gotten around to setting up my XB1. Actually cancelled my Gamepass subscription, wasn't getting any joy out of it at all.

I also recently got a new Lenovo Legion laptop with an RTX 3070 with great plans to play all the latest PC games, but that has yet to happen!

On the other hand my Switch is on daily. Just finished Shin Megami Tensei V which was absolutely amazing and about to start the new Kirby game and Elder Lilies. Also keep meaning to pick up Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

I've actually 3 Switch consoles in the house, my old launch model, an OLED model I picked up over the summer and my missus has a Switch Lite she also uses daily. Definitely a house of Nintendo at the moment.

• Advertisement

I only really get maybe Friday night and Saturday or Sunday for a few hours to play these days.

I've been playing Elden Ring since I got it in March for the PS5 the Switch just hasn't interested me there's nothing on it id be rushing to play but again I'm sure if it was my sole machine I travelled with everyday id find stuff. I am just more of a PlayStation Xbox big game kinda player these days. If I had more time id be playing everything! Sure I've a Series X sitting there ha.

Advertisement