Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ninty Direct

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was cursing them, then realised I get it with my Nintendo Online Expansion pass...

Yay!

I'm not sure who was in a hurry to play Mario Kart Tour tracks though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What a time to be alive new Futurama episodes and all this ninty goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Xenoblade Chronicles 3, I'll take that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That was a brilliant direct. Finally new MK8 tracks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really need to play Xenoblade. I have the first on the Wii, the remake on the Switch and X on the Wii U.

Was actually thinking I'll play it soon after I finish Alyx and the next game I play.

Since I'm the person who doesn't own MK8D (due to owning the Wii U version and DLC) I can't take advantage of the DLC.

So Project Triangle trial available now and Switch Sports beta on the 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Wio sports switch online! Yes! I loves online with tennis on with U but platers were very limited. Can't wait for this. April 39th! Hopefully something to break my tetris addiction.

Th

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭plibige

For me that was a great direct. So many things you thought "didn't see that coming". Klonoa 1 and 2, earthbound and beginnings (was nearly expecting mother 3!) No man's sky, wii sports sequel, portal and portal 2, mario kart dlc (i laughed at how ridiculous it is literally 5 years later!)

And then some quality stuff. Kirby looks great, splatoon looks very interesting. Mario strikers was inevitable but looks solid. And xenoblade 3 to top it off.

For me, best direct in a long time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really great direct for the weird games as well.

Klonoa 1 and 2 I hope finally sells. Far and away the best platformers on the ps1 and 2. Amazing games.

Front mission has plenty of remakes but front mission 2 has never been in English and the ps1 game is ruined by slow loading so a Modern version is appreciated.

Live a live is a really fun and interesting rpg. Finished it last year and enjoyed it.

And Chrono cross.... Gorgeous soundtrack and graphics.... But I never liked it. Maybe the remaster will change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Feels like there was something for everyone on there. Kirby really does look fantastic. I never played Portal or Klonoa but very tempted with those. And the nostalgia of wii sports coming to Switch could be the perfect party game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good list of announcements, No Man Sky is the standout for me; I'll be looking VERY keenly at how it performs though cos open world games on Switch are only ever either fine, or a total disaster.

Force Unleashed I could care less about, though the Ezio series of AC games is a nice surprise, back when the series still had an eye on being good games (rather than just busywork). Forgot about Two Point Campus, another nice surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Force Unleashed looked awful, especially compared to the more recent SW fare, plus the story isn't canon so what's the point?

It doesn't even have the unique perspective on the SW universe that KOTOR gave us.

Klonoa will be great, I have them on PS and PS2, but happy to double dip on that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ah, Force Unleashed was a lot of fun. If it's updated to load a bit faster, it will be great in handheld, as long as it's a like a 15e price point.

I loved Front Mission 3 on the PSOne years ago, so those two might be interesting. MK8 tracks might get me back into the game, and I forgot about Ezio, though will wait for a significant price drop on that one.

I've never played the Earthbound games so I will play those now.

Decent direct overall. Not amazing in terms of star power, but fairly solid.

That was honestly a great showing. As much as I've wished for more tracks for MK8, I didn't think they'd actually do it. And that it's bundled into the NSO Expansion is icing on the cake. 48 courses is huge. 12 Cups worth. That's more than I ever thought they'd do. Doubling the total number of tracks. That's pretty insane. Bringing closer to being "Mario Kart Ultimate".

Nintendo Sports looks great - glad they've abandoned the Mii look. The character models look ripped from recent Pokemon games though :)

Kirby looks good too. Gameplay-wise, this Kirby and Mario Odyssey have a very similar mechanic.

Portal 1 +2 - if you haven't played Portal what are you doing with your life? I'll definitely replay these on Switch.

AC Ezio Collection: These are still my favourite of the Assassin's Creed series. Tempting to replay them on Switch now.

Dreads update is nice. Will add some replayability.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

When it comes to PC ports I have to remind myself they aren't aimed at me, because while I don't have a beefy rig I've got something good enough for most games I want to play. Making games like Portal available to folks who don't play games on any other devices is a good idea. Can't imagine the more precisely coordinated puzzles in Portal 1 will play well with Joycons, but there you go. I'm not so sure about NMS, it will depend on performance.

I must look up the new Kirby game, if it feels similar to Odyssey I'll probably give it a go.

Switch Sports thing might be fun as well, though as ever heavily dependent on price point - easy to forget that part of the reason the Wii version became so well-known is that it was a pack-in game. Not sure people will feel the same enthusiasm for it if they're asked to pay €50 for the privilege...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it was also one of those games who initial promise never matched the delivered game. I wanna say the first demos and write ups claimed it was going to have lots of destructible environments, ala the Red Faction series of yore; but as is often with AAA games, it all got scaled back.

Not sure what other classic SW games might be worth a remaster: can't imagine the X Wing series would work on Switch 🤣 is Dark Forces remastered? Get NightDive and their Kex engine on it and would be a great little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Good Direct overall. Very happy with the Mario Kart DLC and getting it as part of the expansion pack is even better.

Kirby looks great and will be a day one purchase for me.

Never played Klonoa before but looks right up my street and this also might be the time I finally give Portal a go.

Already looking forward to playing Switch Sports with my kids too but better double check the joy-con straps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

It's absolutely nostalgia talking but I'd buy a Shadows of the Empire remaster. Also, surely they will release a Rogue Squadron trilogy pack at some stage.

I originally played Portal on Xbox 360 and it played fine with a controller. Played Portal and Portal 2 it on PC too with a controller. It should control fine on Switch.

I'd buy Portal again just because they were both fabulous, perfectly measured games. Absolute exercises in good mechanics, learning curves, writing, humour, the lot. "The cake is a lie" became incredibly overdone and hackneyed, but one can forget how damn funny the games both were.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd happily play them both again, but not sure I'd be pushed about buying them again on Switch. Though splitscreen local coop for Portal 2 is a nice touch.

Just saw a tweet from Valve saying the collection price will be US$20, so to be fair at < €20/£20 that's a good offering, 15-20 hours of top-tier single player gaming and a few hours of co-op as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kind of interested in trying out the Front Mission games, assuming they aren't €50 apiece and run well as it looked a bit choppy. At least they made an effort with them unlike the Advance Wars ports which look they were made cheap, thought with a 5 month delay they would lean back to the old art style more but nope.

Actually interested in how Kirby reviews, looks fun but could be another 6-7/10 Kirby game the series is full of.

I'd be more interested in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 if I hadn't experienced XC2 running like a pig 5 years ago but the definitive edition was handled much better and not rushed to market like XC2. It'll run better than the new musou Fire Emblem game at least. Throw in the Ezio trilogy and Star Wars as looking bad in their showings too.

No interest in Mario Kart tracks as I was bored of Deluxe less than a week after getting it. Despite not playing MK8 before its a series I find that I'm just bored of. If the new game ever enters into development I hope the supposed twist is something new. Can they please just throw any Mario sports game into the bin, it'll save kids from getting them as lazy gifts.

Portal I have them both on Steam for the cost of around €3 with mod support. Nintendo Switch Sports meanwhile looks like a €3 game you'd see on the eShop.

Chrono Cross looked rough too, absolute bare minimum effort by Square Enix. They made more effort with Live A Live which is a series nobody was requesting to return. Gonna try the Triangle Strategy demo and hope its better for the feedback from the earlier demo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadows of the Empire is really bad. There's a recent remaster of it and it just shows how bad it is. Give me Dark Forces instead.

Regarding Chron Cross, really hope they sort out the port. Their recent Saga Frontier port was insanely good and they went above and beyond.

As for Live a Live, it's the same reason that we see Saga games all the time. The director of Live a Live and the director of the Saga games are now execs at SE and have clout to get these games remastered well. However I finished the fan translation of Live a Live last year and it's a very interesting game that is just shy of being great but is a huge amount of fun.

Also anyone wanting to play the earthbound games, Play Earthbound first. Earthbound zero is a good game for a NES RPG but it's very rough, very grindy and insanely hard. Earthbound on the other hand is a masterpiece.

"live a live"

I will never tire of nonsense JRPG names.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sorry, but Kingdom Hearts is the all-time winner for nonsense JRPG names and nothing will ever come close.

Kingdom Hearts Integrum Masterpiece for Cloud (Intergrum??!!)

Containing such classics as Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (which includes the unforgettable Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Switch Sports is €40 and available for pre-order and is probably €5-€10 dearer than it should be. Particularly as the Volleyball and Badminton (and to a lesser extent Tennis) games are very similar. However Nintendo Tax is included in the price.

Hahaha, of course that's the price. Will be interested to see how it sells in that case, absolutely zero danger I'll be paying that much for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭recyclops

For some odd reason I thought it would be free

• Advertisement

Is that with the leg strap? I might need to go back and watch the direct again, but I got the impression they were bundling the leg strap (with the physical release obviously).

Also, any Switch Lite owners will need to buy standalone joy-cons.

Advertisement