Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Maybe Heaslip was still a doubt for this week so they were working with Sexton as captain just in case?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I wonder is Schmidt looking at him as an option there and been on the phone to Cullen?

Murray Kinsella seems to think so. Just posted on twitter it's a sure sign he's going to be covering there for 6 Nations.

That is not at all the team I was expecting.

Little bit surprised by no Furlong, but otherwise this is a mix of getting some performances in for Joe to look at and also a bit of down time for the lads who will be in demand in the pro12.

At least BOD will have nothing to tweet about this week!

Little bit surprised by no Furlong, but otherwise this is a mix of getting some performances in for Joe to look at and also a bit of down time for the lads who will be in demand in the pro12.

Ringrose's absence will surely rile him! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Brendan Macken starts at 12 for Wasps!

15. Charles Piutau; 14. Josh Bassett, 13. Elliot Daly, 12. Brendan Macken, 11. Frank Halai; 10. Jimmy Gopperth, 9. Joe Simpson; 1. Matt Mullan, 2. Edd Shervington, 3. Lorenzo Cittadini, 4. Joe Launchbury, 5. Bradley Davies, 6. James Haskell, 7. George Smith, 8. Sam Jones
    16. Ashley Johnson, 17. Tom Bristow, 18. Jake Cooper-Woolley, 19. James Gaskell, 20. Nathan Hughes, 21. Dan Robson, 22. Ruaridh Jackson, 23. Rob Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

11 changes to the 15 that beat Bath comfortably and I don't see why that team couldn't win this too, truly back to the glory days in terms of brilliant strength in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Word is that Denton was due to start at 5 but injured his groin in training.

Tox56 wrote: »
    11 changes to the 15 that beat Bath comfortably and I don't see why that team couldn't win this too, truly back to the glory days in terms of brilliant strength in depth

I doubt that youthful team could reproduce that performance every week. While it was great to see, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I doubt that youthful team could reproduce that performance every week. While it was great to see, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Why not? It's not like there were any once a season individual performances or freakish incidents that gave us momentum. Id like to think they will be capable of producing performances like that throughout the six nations period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very interesting side. I like some parts, don't like others but it'll certainly be fun to see how it pans out. If we're to have a shot, Sexton will have to really have a strong game as I don't think that back line is going to be cohesive at all. Reid and Fitzgerald haven't started a game in the centre together this season.

Dominic Ryan looked much better in his last outings but I'd be surprised if he's able to handle Haskell and Smith around the rucks and, given Jordi Murphy's complete lack of form, Heaslip is going to be working double time.

The front row is strong and will need to be with a very mismatched second row behind them (a 6'10" and 6'3" pair) who are coming up against an excellent pairing in Launchbury and Davies.

Good to see a number of first team players return and some new partnerships being looked at but I'd be surprised if we manage to get much from this one unless our halfbacks dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's kinda French to pick jumping backrow and power second row. I like it a lot. Classic team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

What's with all the double posting?

Are ye all a bit impatient and clicking the Submit button like mad? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't see any double posts, must just be you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Only just realised that Boss is back from injury too. Good to have him with Reddan missing for the 6N.

It's an intermittent issue since the ddos attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

errlloyd wrote: »
    I don't see any double posts, must just be you
    9915/16, 9918/19, 9920/9921, 9923/24, 9925/26 and 9935/36 in the last 20 or so posts on this thread alone.

molloy and ibf seem to be afflicted the most :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Weird team. I die a bit on the inside when I saw Boss selected ahead of McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

Weird team. I die a bit on the inside when I saw Boss selected ahead of McGrath.

That doesn't really bother me tbh. Boss needs a game and it's the last chance to rest McGrath before he starts all the 6 nations run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I find the half backs encouraging because

A) Why would we rest McGrath if we weren't going to use him during the 6 Nations?
    B) Why would we use Marsh on the bench if we didn't plan on using him?

The dream of McGrath/Marsh starting at least one game in the 6 Nations is still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

What time's kickoff tomorrow lads?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

15:15

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I find the half backs encouraging because

A) Why would we rest McGrath if we weren't going to use him during the 6 Nations?
    B) Why would we use Marsh on the bench if we didn't plan on using him?

The dream of McGrath/Marsh starting at least one game in the 6 Nations is still alive.

I sincerely hope you're right. I don't think McGrath really needs a rest though, he's has a month or more off through injury and only played once since coming back. So I'm a bit concerned.

LostArt wrote: »
    That doesn't really bother me tbh. Boss needs a game and it's the last chance to rest McGrath before he starts all the 6 nations run of games.

Exactly. An injury to McGrath could see Boss playing with no game time under his belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I sincerely hope you're right. I don't think McGrath really needs a rest though, he's has a month or more off through injury and only played once since coming back. So I'm a bit concerned.

think Leo was always going to rotate a fair bit over these two games to ensure internationals get a hit out and those not Ireland involved have some gametime going into the 6n period

Ringrose was given several days off this week as a result of a few big hits last week, so he is best served staying with leinster this time around. Reckon Luke McGrath is the same. He will see plenty of action the next few months hopefully . Could be the making of leinsters season to be able to manage players like this

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aimee1 wrote:
    Ringrose was given several days off this week as a result of a few big hits last week, so he is best served staying with leinster this time around.

Should probably go off and bulk up a bit.

Ah no you can't say "hit out".

That phrase is reserved for the filthy kiwis.

I'm very happy with taking their coaches for Ireland, I'm somewhat OK with taking their players for Ireland.

But if this is the price we have to pay for having Schmidt as our coach and Payne in our team, I'm officially on the "Schmidt-out" bandwagon.

Ah no you can't say "hit out".

That phrase is reserved for the filthy kiwis.

I'm very happy with taking their coaches for Ireland, I'm somewhat OK with taking their players for Ireland.

But if this is the price we have to pay for having Schmidt as our coach and Payne in our team, I'm officially on the "Schmidt-out" bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fange got a brace. A pity he's not involved with Ireland, still though at least we should see him back for Leinster during the international window.

• Advertisement

Good win for the As today to seal a home QF. 43-24. The game was a lot more competitive than the score line suggests. Rotherham are a big physical bunch who caused the young lads some serious issues at times. It was a 1-2 score game up until the last 5 mins. The game showed why aks favourite player will not be in the senior set up any time soon. Got 2 tries but overall was fairly mediocre. Missed tackles, chased poorly, kicked poorly and rarely went looking for work. Thought Nick McCarthy went well and so did Crisbie at 10. The forwards had it all to do against a bigger pack but they all fronted up well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement