Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If there are a couple of injuries in the RWC, D'Arcy could well find himself required to join the squad. We're not particularly well stocked at 12.

I'd assume he'll be still featuring in blue until October or training at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Buer wrote: »
    If there are a couple of injuries in the RWC, D'Arcy could well find himself required to join the squad. We're not particularly well stocked at 12.

I'd assume he'll be still featuring in blue until October or training at the very least.

The plan is probably for him to train and / or play with Leinster to keep him sharp as a backup for the WC squad.
    Odd way for him to go out, but I hope we get to give him a proper sendoff - either in the RDS or Twickenham :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

dub_skav wrote: »
    The plan is probably for him to train and / or play with Leinster to keep him sharp as a backup for the WC squad.
    Odd way for him to go out, but I hope we get to give him a proper sendoff - either in the RDS or Twickenham :D

Certainly last Saturday felt like a last run out for him....announced as the longest serving player in green etc. But yes, he deserves a good send off from the RDS and I hope he gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭jacothelad

While, like just about everyone I've ever spoken too, Darcy has been one of the 5 or 6 top players in the pro era, there are better options now at 12 irrespective of their experience relative to Gordon's. Experience may send your nerve signals correctly from your brain but it doesn't give you the muscle response to get you there any more. Gordon is done. I'm sure most of us would not wish to see his career whimper out. Hang up the boots Gordon.

If you were selecting a team tomorrow and you had Reid, Marshall, McCloskey or Cave available, would you select Darcy? I certainly would not. I would also hazard a guess that Payne would be a better 12 than he is a 13. He has that teak tough quality and super distribution skills including a good kicking game that a good 12 has.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen Payne at 12 yet. I'd a feeling that the second choice 12 would be him with Earls moving to 13 if Henshaw was absent. However, Schmidt hasn't looked at it yet.

Regarding the players you mention, I'd prefer several of them but the fact is only Cave was in the squad (Reid was but was released a week ago and appears entirely out of the reckoning). So if we cop an injury to two centres, we're looking at D'Arcy being included.

• Advertisement

I thought Cave did better at 12 than D'Arcy tbh...

Cave out of position, gave a better account of himself. I'd not be that surprised if he's ahead of him in the 'break glass in case of emergency' queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

D'Arcy is done. He has no business being a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought Cave did much better than D'Arch, I'd much prefer to see him called up because he offers us longer term cover. In saying that I would be shocked if Schmidt makes decisions based on one game either way. As usual with these things we only have access to a tiny sliver of the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Ouch.

Yeah, it's hard to argue that. I think Cave will be first backup but D'Arcy is still in the mix should calamity befall us at 12, Joe wouldn't have kept him around this long if he wasn't interested in him on some level. It's definitely more likely than Marshall or McCloskey being called up, or Reid being brought back.

Didn't have a great game at the weekend but am I not right in saying that word from the camp is he is doing well in training?

I don't see him travelling at this point, but wouldn't be completely ruling him out yet either.

I take it there is no screening of the match on Friday? I had hoped to make it up but looks like I can't now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I know that read as quite harsh but I don't know another way of expressing it. I'd have any of the Ulster 12s (who is fit?), Hurley or Reid ahead of D'Arcy.

I know that read as quite harsh but I don't know another way of expressing it. I'd have any of the Ulster 12s (who is fit?), Hurley or Reid ahead of D'Arcy.

Except outside Cave and Reid none of those players have been involved so theyre not an option.

• Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is the Leinster thread, not the Ireland thread. Take discussion of Ireland 12 to the Irish threads please.

awec wrote: »
    This is the Leinster thread, not the Ireland thread. Take discussion of Ireland 12 to the Irish threads please.

It's pretty relevant awec.

If D'Arcy's got a sniff at playing at RWC, he could be representing Leinster in the meantime to stay match-fit. If he doesn't, we might not see him in blue at all!

Cave jumping the queue in Green might have put an end to D'Arcy's Leinster career!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hopefully Darcy won't need to start any of the Leinster games. However, given the injuries problems Leinster have had recenetly, I've no doubt that we will be delighted to have him at some point.

I thought Cave did better at 12 than D'Arcy tbh...

Cave out of position, gave a better account of himself. I'd not be that surprised if he's ahead of him in the 'break glass in case of emergency' queue.

I don't think there's any doubt about it. He's very likely to be the first player to be called up if there's an injury to a centre. I don't think he'll make the squad simply because Earls is there as a back up 13 and Madigan can cover 12 in a pinch.

With places so tight, I think he's just going to miss out but will be the first name on the stand by list for midfield.

I wonder if they'll both make some sort of appearance for their provinces though in the warm ups? Would be a tasty contest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dunno, his end of season very distinctly gave the impression he was done in blue. I wouldn't expect to see him line out for Leinster at all.

I wouldn't disagree. Sentiment doesn't have a place in these things.

But the simple logic of the matter is that if we suffer a couple of injuries to midfielders, he's more than likely going to be called up. We're not going to call on someone who wasn't involved in the squad.

Honestly I'd rather Reid is starting for Leinster. I realise Joe will probably ask for D'Arcy to play but it's really of no benefit to Leinster. I'd rather have Reid out there learning McQuilkin's defense and working with our genius backs coach TBC.

I'd prefer Reid to Madigan at 12 so it can only benefit us to have him there waiting for the return of the Internationals when the ECC rolls around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The 12 situation for Ireland, specifically where Darcy sits in that order is likely to be the key determining factor in whether we get Darcy at Leinster during the RWC. Getting him would be huge given how many players / experience is gone (it could be worth 4 or 5 points which at the end of season could be a playoff place or not). Can't see how it's not suitable for discussion in the Leinster thread.

Most probably accept he is likely not to travel immediately (Payne, Henshaw with Cave and Madigan as backup doesn't leave space for anyone else) but if he is genuinely one injury away from a call up I'd imagine he will stay playing with Leinster for the duration.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,554 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So, still no coach announcement and still no official kit launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jersey launch today, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

It was just put on the Leinster FB. Don't know if that counts as a launch....

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/13761.php#.VdMRv7JViko

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just launched on facebook anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It could be a nice jersey, but you're not going to tell from this pic.... What a woeful pic.

new-canterbury-home-jersey-2015_rdax_637x480_80.jpg

Not mad on the shade of blue if I'm being honest. I think the first leaked pic made it look darker but that shiny electric blue is just a bit rugby league for my liking.

I really like the alt jersey tho, and I usually hate them.

new-canterbury-alternate-jersey-2015.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The pictures are pretty awful. Like they weren't sure when the Irish players would be available so they just whipped out their phone one day they happened to all be there. I like the kits though. The white one is very similar to the previous white one though, no? Just stripes are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

.ak wrote: »
    It could be a nice jersey, but you're not going to tell from this pic.... What a woeful pic.

new-canterbury-home-jersey-2015_rdax_637x480_80.jpg

Props are gonna hate that jersey...Makes heaslip look like he's got a belly ffs.... Imagine moore and rossy in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Toner
    Small, far away

• Advertisement

Thing is it looks like those are 'demo' jerseys, the same with the training jersey launch. They're not the actual test versions, which are generally laser fitted and will look better. The Irish jersey looks way better on match day than it did at the launch etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement