Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Brilliant result, massive work rate and hunger to win the ball. 180 degree turn around from last year. Defencive system is showing it can deliver results against top teams that can put up big scores. Well done Derek Mcgrath and team, that was a big scalp today. Two big games against our biggest rivals Cork over the next 5 weeks will help bring back more supporters and a greater belief within the county again. I feel we're moving in the right direction again so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

O Riain wrote: »
    The thing is we are playing good hurling too. We took some lovely scores and our fielding is the best its been in years. The lads are working hard, hooking, blocking and chasing back everywhere. I enjoyed that display today not just because we won but because there was actually a bit of class to it.

Some of the scores we picked off were unreal alright, we actually threatened for a few goals too. I'd love to see an extra forward or two up there tho, we have the players now and hopefully we can fine tune a bit to carry more of a goal threat, its the only thing we're missing. Loving the commitment and desire on show, we had a bad start with the two goals that came more from tipp skill than us leaving space, great response when last year we would prob have died on our feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

You could get used to that. Bring on the Langers!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Unbelievable performance. Moran led by example he was tremendous throughout the game. To win the way we did with the workrate we had was one thing but there was some terrific scores taken by us aswell and great to see Maurice standing up all through and getting some great points. Aussie again with some wayward shooting needs to be a bit more productive while in possession but that's for a later discussion. Delighted again to hold my hands up and be proven wrong and i genuinely believe there is a bright future ahead. Nothing to fear against Cork either,while they had a good comeback,if i were a Dublin supporter i would seriously be scratching my head!
    Congratulations Derek you have taken enough abuse all year(myself included) enjoy the congratulations they are thoroughly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Leave the squabbling for today

Great result....fcuk the begruders

And still room for improvement after beating the best team in the country

Tipp the best team in the country???. I doubt that said Barry and for once he is right as just about every one knows (apart from the poster and those who voted a thanks) they won nothing since 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Tipp the best team in the country???. I doubt that said Barry and for once he is right as just about every one knows (apart from the poster and those who voted a thanks) they won nothing since 2010.

They are in the top two as the bookies see it this year. Nothing really controversial saying tipp are no. 1 team or saying kilkenny are, its only an opinion. Its too close to call this year to say whos better only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭letowski

archieknox wrote: »
    Unbelievable performance. Moran led by example he was tremendous throughout the game. To win the way we did with the workrate we had was one thing but there was some terrific scores taken by us aswell and great to see Maurice standing up all through and getting some great points. Aussie again with some wayward shooting needs to be a bit more productive while in possession but that's for a later discussion. Delighted again to hold my hands up and be proven wrong and i genuinely believe there is a bright future ahead. Nothing to fear against Cork either,while they had a good comeback,if i were a Dublin supporter i would seriously be scratching my head!
    Congratulations Derek you have taken enough abuse all year(myself included) enjoy the congratulations they are thoroughly deserved.

I think ye have a gem in young Jamie Barron too at midfield. The lad got heavily involved in everything, and uses the ball well too. He won his battle with McGrath today, allstar last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Won nothing since 2010?
    Munster titles in 11 and 12 mean nothing no?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

So what's the story with the Senior Championship games for that weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

Congratulations to Waterford on their win. They wanted it more than us and fully deserved it. As for the Waterford "system" I don't think it was that awful to watch but it does have limitations in terms of carrying a goal threat and there is a huge reliance on one or two forwards to get all the scores. It won't work every day and opposition teams will have plenty of time to figure it out come championship.

That's for another day though,for now ye have a league final to look forward to and deservedly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Great to win be a point. Was having flashbacks towards the end to the minor game where we should have won. Well able to have a crack off Tipp now at all levels (hurling not football). Great bunch of players we have now. Tipp may have been under strength and I reckon 2 corner backs will add massively to them. If only we had a couple of players to come in? Any brothers of the starting team to come back mid summer eh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

I'm in the UK at the moment and got the game on Go GAA . Paid a tenner and bought a HDMI Cable as well as the obligatory few cans. I wasn't expecting to see the game i did. I'd heard from home that this team has something about them but i have to say that after the first ten minutes i got that feeling that i haven't had since the 90's .....This team is special. No journeymen and no Slackers ..100% from every man......Well done to all.
    Now here's the thing have we learned our lessons from that 90's team ?.The best team never to win an All Ireland in my humble opinion. The lessons being as i see it...always fight for every ball, always keep up your fitness,never give up.
    Even if this team had lost today i would still have been very proud...The blend of youth and experience is perfect.
    My one concern is that Goals are still hard to come by but i honestly believe that this will come with confidence.
    We have a terrible habit of getting carried away and getting ahead of ourselves so i don't want to do that. It's early days and the Championship is looming but the team can only go and do what they're expected to do on any given day and they did it with spades today.
    To Derek Mcgrath and the Team.......Thanks for putting in all the hard work at training. It can seem thankless but there are many at home and around the world like me who you're bringing great enjoyment to. Keep it UP and ALWAYS .........UP DI DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations, I must admit it was a good win ist real test and they answered it, was a weaker tipp team with two out but tipp you expect to win anyway but Waterford won and mist get credit for that
    I am surprised Waterford won to be honest

The game v Cork I don't think suits either team with may looming
    I'd be happy not playing Waterford as familiarity breeds contempt

Cork imo will benefit if waterford play sweeper and same system as cork will get a trial run
    Waterford I'm sure benefits cork system also so will anyone show their hand

On the other hand of I was Waterford wouldn't players sweeper in league final
    Cork badly need league title and I wanted cork won but I'm sceptical show full hand meeting again
    I nearly be happy performance at this stage

Hard one call as both teams need silver ware but nobody will gain much showing their hand so early

What impressed me regards Waterford was the physical side of players and there touch
    The sweeper system works but imo no balance at times to attack and tipperary had awful wides and one point I'd cork most vulnerable at full back but cork won't be exposed undrr high ball like Dublin done when there's just two man inside line and cork have spare man back

Credit due for today but while I think cork should take notice I still think cork will in may
    Mcgrath be fair deserves credit get today but it was said tipp best team country
    No their not
    Were never that's having lost league all Ireland only second best team
    KK despite poor league with ballyhale and retired were justified off peak but best team country imo is KK by a long shot

Ones worry with Waterford system is total defence side if picked off from distance is the problems in bigger spaces like Thurles and croke park that may arise

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Great win for us. What a goal from young dunford.

3ships wrote: »
    Great to win be a point. Was having flashbacks towards the end to the minor game where we should have won. Well able to have a crack off Tipp now at all levels (hurling not football). Great bunch of players we have now. Tipp may have been under strength and I reckon 2 corner backs will add massively to them. If only we had a couple of players to come in? Any brothers of the starting team to come back mid summer eh.....

Shane Bennett to come back in after leaving cert and the way he was playing earlier this year he wont be far off the starting 15. Darragh fives hopefully not far away from coming back from injury another important player. Maybe Stephan Daniels but he has been injuried long term. Would love to see Patrick Curran come on to the panel after Leaving Cert but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Shane Bennett to come back in after leaving cert and the way he was playing earlier this year he wont be far off the starting 15. Darragh fives hopefully not far away from coming back from injury another important player. Maybe Stephan Daniels but he has been injuried long term. Would love to see Patrick Curran come on to the panel after Leaving Cert but unlikely.
    Patrick Curran is in 1st year UCC

Ones worry with Waterford system is total defence side if picked off from distance is the problems in bigger spaces like Thurles and croke park that may arise

How much bigger are Thurles and Croke Park than Nowlan Park?

The only thing I was annoyed with today, they had Bennett out near midfield/wing forward, and Brick was inside in the 2 man full forward line, better idea to swap both? Havta feel sorry for Bennett in these tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

deiseach wrote: »

Same size

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

In terms of open spaces Thurles is well known to ideal for open hurling and playing the width of the ptich like croke park
    Waterford defensive system close in was absolutely first class but tipperary as Cummins said tonight didn't play a sweeper or react beating sweeper Waterford
    Waterford can be picked off long distance as KK would do or clare and cork also

If cork go orthodox they will loose to Waterford but cork as proven past year got better beating sweeper system
    I think ye possibly will win the league final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

This Waterford team are really bucking trends.
    I cant remember a defensive team lose goals like that and fall so far behind, yet put a big score and came back to win.
    it is the first time a 1B side has knocked out 2 1A sides to get to the final.

Great credit - I am a traditionalist and the first time we get beaten I will probably blame the 'system ' and Derek, but the man has some amount of balls - a new system, as a Rookie manager with a young team - none of us, not even him knew where this will lead to so you have to admire his conviction

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Patrick Curran is in 1st year UCC

My apologies i heard he was concentrating on exams and assumed he was still in Leaving cert. Any particular reason why he didn't join up with the panel?

In terms of open spaces Thurles is well known to ideal for open hurling and playing the width of the ptich like croke park

It's well known all right. Doesn't make it correct though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

If I were a Tipp Supporter I would be asking why does this team always seem to come out the wrong end of tight games

My apologies i heard he was concentrating on exams and assumed he was still in Leaving cert. Any particular reason why he didn't join up with the panel?
    He was asked a few times but didn't join up, I'd say he was knackered to be honest, non stop harty cup, club games and county minor for the last 3 years. The rest will do him good, a year with the u21s do no harm, they should give it a good shot this year if Derek Lyons can get the panel together including the senior lads

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Length is about the same but width is significantly wider in thurles and Croke Park, hence why so many sidelines in Nolan park today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

despite Nowlan Park being the same dimensions as Croke Park? And that Thurles is only marginally (2m) wider?

bruschi wrote: »
    despite Nowlan Park being the same dimensions as Croke Park? And that Thurles is only marginally (2m) wider?

Yep, Thurlas 145-90m
    Croke park 145-88m
    Nolan Park 145-88m

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Length is about the same but width is significantly wider in thurles and Croke Park, hence why so many sidelines in Nolan park today.

Nowlan Park - 145x88m
    Croke Park - 144.5x88m
    Semple Stadium - 145x90m

Theres really bugger all difference. Nowlan Park seems tighter because theres much less clearence to the stands but the playing dimensions are all very very similar

Gaelic Grounds would be a good example of a smaller field at 137x82

• Advertisement

Tipperary GAA's website says that Semple Stadium's pitch is 145m x 80m. The GAA's rules say that the minimum width of the pitch is 80m. Does this mean that Nowlan Park is significantly short of those minimum dimensions?

I don't think Derek and co will be worrying about the 'wide open spaces' of Thurles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement