Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre up 24 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A new one for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

When you say connection dropped, how is this pc connected?

Connected the same way it has always been.Wirelessly.
    The drop was not experienced on this pc though as it was not in use. It was experienced by two xboxes and a tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

kleefarr wrote: »
    Connected the same way it has always been.Wirelessly.
    The drop was not experienced on this pc though as it was not in use. It was experienced by two xboxes and a tablet.

I think that you are going to have to be more systematic in your debugging of this issue. To rule out your own network would it be possible to set up a machine hard wired by Ethernet to your router? Run PingPlotter to a known good server, something like heanet, over a 24 hour period.

http://www.pingplotter.com

I think that you are going to have to be more systematic in your debugging of this issue. To rule out your own network would it be possible to set up a machine hard wired by Ethernet to your router? Run PingPlotter to a known good server, something like heanet, over a 24 hour period.

Well that was something I just attempted.
    I got my old backup Win XP Dell D620 only to discover that the pingplotter I had downloaded would not work on it. So I followed the suggested link for pingplotter 4 which I had to have the link for downloading emailed to me, only to click on the link to find their page with no file.
    So when I find pingplotter 4 I will try again as I am not tying up my main windows 10 laptops.

• Advertisement

Exactly this. You also need to disable wireless, disable all other devices and only use this single pc until the testing is complete

Well that was something I just attempted.
    I got my old backup Win XP Dell D620 only to discover that the pingplotter I had downloaded would not work on it. So I followed the suggested link for pingplotter 4 which I had to have the link for downloading emailed to me, only to click on the link to find their page with no file.
    So when I find pingplotter 4 I will try again as I am not tying up my main windows 10 laptops.

No offence but if you really want to solve this issue which has seemingly been going on for 15 months it might be worth "tying up" a laptop for 24 hours. It's up to you.

Yes I agree, it will be worth it.
    I will leave it until tomorrow though because the engineer is due to come back, assuming he has picked up the faults.
    Then I will do it.

Quick update...

Not been possible to do the pingplotter test, but will have it running over the bank holiday week-end when we go away for a couple of days.
    When checking the status of the fault via mobile it always told me there were two issues outstanding, so I rang them up this morning to query why two?
    I didn't get the answer, but the guy said that he could see there were still issues, however there were no issues indicated on the line or equipment, so he said he would change they way it connected at their end. I did ask him what he meant by this but got no real answer. He said it would not make any difference in speed but would ring back in 24hrs to see if there were still problems. Yeah, right.

Anyway, 30 mins after the call something changed. Checked the modem and the profile has been altered. So there has been a change in speed.
    It probably doesn't matter, but we'll see if we keep getting the lag outs.

Line Status: Conncted
    DSL Modulation Type: VDSL2
    Annex Type: Annex B/J
    Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate(kbps) 15358 50170
    Max Rate(kbps) 30478 73574
    SNR Margin(dB) 14.6 9.9
    Line Attenuation(dB) 0 22.3
    Errors(pkts) 0 0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Better SNR. It'll be fine now.

• Advertisement

Still getting the bouts of lag. Next week-end will run the test.

Still getting the bouts of lag. Next week-end will run the test.

What hardware are you testing on?

I will run it on a Windows 10 laptop, Samsung R530.

I will run it on a Windows 10 laptop, Samsung R530.

On Ethernet? With all other devices disconnected? I'm sorry but you're going to have to be more thorough with your testing.

Yes, everything else will be off and it will be connected via ethernet. 48 hrs and a bit more over the long week-end while we are away.

Just remember to disable any power saving features on the machine.

Yep, will do. Had that in mind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yep. It's all very flowery. Could be a number of things interfering. The SNR at 60Mbit was indeed a bit low. At 50Mbit it looks good. www won't always be instant. It's influenced by anything from your machine to the international backhaul. I'm not certain how realistic the expectations are here.

Just had phone call back from Vodafone. They are resetting the line again.
    Told them that I was going to run pingplotter over the weekend.
    They will ring back Tuesday to see the outcome and if any improvement.

Have you got an ip address for a heanet server?
    I'll do a test run before I go Friday.

• Advertisement

No worries I'll use heanet.com seems to be working.

Ok here are a copy of test text files. Hope someone can make any sense of them they look like a bunch of ping numbers to me.

Should I save them as a different format of something?

I'm not sure what version of PingPlotter you have installed. I have used it in the past successfully but had not looked at it for a while. It seems the company have crippled the free version.

There is an option on their site for a free 14 day trial of the professional version (Version 5.00.14)

http://www.pingplotter.com/download/

You seem to have used heanet.com as a test. That is wrong, use heanet.ie
    I used a trace interval of one second.

Let the test run for however long you want (ideally 24 hours) then go File > Save Image

Upload the result here.

You should also do File > Save Sample Set . This will save all the data you have collected.

You have a couple of options for test methods:

1 Do like mass_debater suggests and disconnect everything from your router bar the test machine which is to be connected by Ethernet cable. Make notes of the times "lag" or slowdowns occur. May not be suitable if you have lots of people wanting to use the connection.

2 Connect the test machine by Ethernet to the router. Leave it to do the testing. Do not use it for anything else. Carry on using your other devices as normal, although avoid anything that is likely to max out your connection (several large parallel downloads). When you experience "lag" or slowdowns you must make a note of the times it has occurred (to the minute). You must be diligent with this. Then when the testing has finished cross reference the times of the issues with the test data. Look for packet loss to the last hop (heanet.ie in this case).

Yes, that is the version I have installed.

Will attempt to do as you suggest on Friday.
    It will be running unattended for more or less 3 days. I won't be here to notice any lag.
    I will do option 1. and hope the saved files give us some indication.

What is this? This is not what we asked for to diagnose problems. You are back giving us unusable unscientific evidence that will go to prove nothing. Nobody in the tech business uses ping test and a speedtest shows what's left when the rest of the devices on your network have had their bandwidth. Sorry but you're your own worst enemy in diagnosing these problems.

Woah, chill out. I was just pointing out how bad it was currently.
    Will be starting the pingplotter test later today.

Woah, chill out. I was just pointing out how bad it was currently.
    Will be starting the pingplotter test later today.

Good. You can't trust pingtest or speedtest, it can be optimised and prioritised by the provider

And the results are in!!

Have attached two files, the image file asked for and also a copy of the text file in case it helps shed any light on the matter.

PLEASE DISREGARD THE FIRST 30 MINUTES due to two phones being connected via wireless.
    The remaining 2.5 days it was just the laptop connected via ethernet.

That graph that you uploaded is only a 60 second snapshot. You have to filter it to show all the pings. Right click on the graph in PingPlotter and select all. For two days at a one second interval you should have 172800 at least under the count column. Upload the new graph showing all the pings.

• Advertisement

You should also have a .pp2 file saved. If you want to upload it to some file sharing service (Dropbox, Google Drive) I can take a look at it. The text file is of no use to me.

Advertisement