Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre up 24 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Ok, Eir engineer has been. Has discovered there is an issue somewhere outside, between house and centre of Kilkenny.
    He said that we are connected to fibre but not at the closest cabinet. We are wired to local cabinet and then wired to fibre cabinet in city centre.
    He has now popped out to the cabinet to check stuff.

Issue resolved.
    Card at cabinet which handles the dialling tone and broadband connection was playing up.
    Also said we are connected at the local cabinet for fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kleefarr wrote: »
    Issue resolved.
    Card at cabinet which handles the dialling tone and broadband connection was playing up.
    Also said we are connected at the local cabinet for fibre.

Of course you are, rates would be a lot lower if you weren't.

Strange that the AXE (Telephone line card) would impact VDSL further down the path. What do you think Mass? The AXEs own self tests are designed to pick up these issues.

Unless it was shorted over the MDF, that could throw your attenuation figures way off I guess.

ED E wrote: »
    Of course you are, rates would be a lot lower if you weren't.

Strange that the AXE (Telephone line card) would impact VDSL further down the path. What do you think Mass? The AXEs own self tests are designed to pick up these issues.

Unless it was shorted over the MDF, that could throw your attenuation figures way off I guess.

Strange one alright.
    Just had a crazy amount of lag, worst so far for this time of day and disconnected.
    Have rebooted modem. Maybe it needs time to settle in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sounds more like a dodgy LT card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Strange one alright.
    Just had a crazy amount of lag, worst so far for this time of day and disconnected.
    Have rebooted modem. Maybe it needs time to settle in ?

There's no real "settling in". Post up your stats again?

I wouldn't turn off the modem at all. No need.

There's no real "settling in". Post up your stats again?

I wouldn't turn off the modem at all. No need.

Line Status: Connected
    DSL Modulation Type: ADSL2
    Annex Type: Annex B/J
    Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate(kbps) 20479 61432
    Max Rate(kbps) 30616 73173
    SNR Margin(dB) 10 6.2
    Line Attenuation(dB) 0 22.1
    Errors(pkts) 0 32

Will see how it runs tonight when wife watching her shows on netflix, that's when I'll know if any difference has been made.

Line Status: Connected
    DSL Modulation Type: ADSL2
    Annex Type: Annex B/J
    Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate(kbps) 20479 61432
    Max Rate(kbps) 30616 73173
    SNR Margin(dB) 10 6.2
    Line Attenuation(dB) 0 22.1
    Errors(pkts) 0 32

Will see how it runs tonight when wife watching her shows on netflix, that's when I'll know if any difference has been made.

It actually seems worse. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What kind of latency are you getting? Maybe it could help diagnose the problem if you haven't tried it. You could trying running a string of packets using -t in a command prompt window.

What kind of latency are you getting? Maybe it could help diagnose the problem if you haven't tried it. You could trying running a string of packets using -t in a command prompt window.

This is the change that we experienced last night.

A HQ stream/file on netflix would be very jumpy, we did not watch this.
    We watched the MQ one instead.

Before yesterday it used to be very jerky every couple of mins, now it hiccups every few secs but once downloaded plays fine, so I am sure it's not an issue with netflix.

I will attempt a latency test later, if I can get youngest off it for a bit.
    What do you mean -t? Saw a Ping 127.0.0.1 -n 20 suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I will attempt a latency test later, if I can get youngest off it for a bit.
    What do you mean -t? Saw a Ping 127.0.0.1 -n 20 suggested.

ping 127.0.0.1 -n 20 will give you 20 pings to your network card - which will give absolutely amazing speeds and should never slow down!!! ;)

Do a ping to some external address and use -t to have it ping endlessly. That way you can observe when your streams buffer or judder or stutter you can see what the latency is at that very moment.

e.g.:
    ping www.rte.ie -t
    -or-
    ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Ok, cheers.
    I supposed best to do this wired to modem and not wirelessly?

Ok, managed to get a wired ping test in with nobody else using the net..

21ms seems constant, but is that drop to 20ms every few seconds what we are seeing online streams?

Thats normal.

Whats not normal is it says ADSL2... :confused:

ED E wrote: »
    Thats normal.

Whats not normal is it says ADSL2... :confused:

Just checked, that's a typo on my part.
    That info is not copied in so I type it, it is VDSL2.

Well I don't know what is causing the hiccups then. :confused:

OK, we are back to dropping connection again now. :(

Good max rates, poor SNR, you're still seeing intermittent noise on the line.

So fixing the AXE card hasn't done much so it might be the LT card as Mass suggested?

Got a young lad going mental upstairs every few mins. Starting to do my head in.

Edit:
    Rang support again. Went through all the tests again resulting in anything from modem is faulty to phone being faulty, unplugging, testing and then agreeing that there is still an intermittent error somewhere on the line, so I mentioned the AXE and the LT and they have arranged for an engineer to visit again in a few days.

How many escalations to field techs have you had by now?

Due to chain of command the vodafone rep you talk to cant get this pushed up to the FLM overseeing it. If this is the 4th escalation or more I'd open a COMREG ticket, that'll get put heat on them.

This strikes me as a copper issue and nothing to do with a failing service unit.

I think this will be the fourth time an engineer has been out.

On a side note, that hole they dug outside the house for fibre has no connections going out from it yet. The engineer that came around yesterday had a look in it.
    He also said that there is an Eir contact point stationed on a pole on the corner of the estate. No idea when either of those will be in use though.

Netflix working perfectly so far. Something may have been changed already.
    We'll see.

Spoke too soon.

• Advertisement

Got this earlier, so the ball is again in motion...

"Your reported service issue requires further investigation. It has been despatched to the engineer crew."

No updates since and no improvement in service. :(

It only got dispatched as a fault on Thursday, you've only clocked 1 wking day of up to 4. Nothings really expected yet.

Yep, guess your right. Being a bit impatient.

Had a phone update 16:00.
    Crew was dispatched 10:00 to work on issue.
    Will get another update when there is one.

Same engineer has called around now and is working on the in ground junction box on pavement outside house.

Same engineer has called around now and is working on the in ground junction box on pavement outside house.

Make sure he checks for signs of rodents, wouldnt be the first time they've caused nightmares like yours ;)

No sign of rodents. Putting in new line from junction outside to cabinet.
    Mentioned the AXE and LT cards and he said they are UPC stuff.

Ok, going to monitor new line and see how it goes. He is going to monitor as well for 24hrs. Said this type of issue has been going on for 9 months or so and they don't know what causes it. A new line nearly always fixes the issue though, so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Already dropped twice. :(

Advertisement