Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre up 24 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It was at a specific time that the problems started to occur. June/July last year. Up to that point everything was reasonably good. Ok, some lag but nothing like what has been happening.
    I discovered from the last engineer that attended the premises, June/July last year was when they upgraded the area I am in for fibre, so it was clearly something that had happened when that was going on. Before that, the extension cable was in use all the time with little reduction in speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

kleefarr wrote: »
    Before that, the extension cable was in use all the time with little reduction in speed.

The extension cable would not be as big a problem on ADSL, a huge problem on VDSL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Exactly. something happened then that caused a problem.
    So far, apart from last night when the internet was rubbish and I had to reboot modem, it's been ok.

Exactly. something happened then that caused a problem.
    So far, apart from last night when the internet was rubbish and I had to reboot modem, it's been ok.

Have you tried changing wireless channel. You only use wireless so your neighbors could all have upgraded theirs at the time. You really need to test using wired only, plug in a laptop and show us wired pings when you are having issues. We will never get to the bottom of this while you keep testing over wireless.

• Advertisement

Wireless Channel is set on Auto.
    I assume it will pick a channel that is not used in range.

Wireless Channel is set on Auto.
    I assume it will pick a channel that is not used in range.

You'd think that but no, it doesn't. Get inssider and manually select a channel well away from what's in use. There are also apps that show wireless channels in use, Google it

Downloaded Network Stumbler, but it's not picking any other wifi signals.

Profile changed..

DSL synchronization status Up
    DSL up time 01:28:20

Line Status
    Help
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51197
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 12.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.9
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.6
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.4
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13.1
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 4.3
    Downstream CRC 5123
    Upstream CRC 1
    Downstream FEC 664201
    Upstream FEC 6858

Ok, I have got a working wifi scanner.

Why is my wifi showing 3 times???

Wifi%20scanner_zpsr1b7n0wr.jpg~original

Ok, I have got a working wifi scanner.

Why is my wifi showing 3 times???

[IMG]hxxp://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/KBL007/Wifi%20scanner_zpsr1b7n0wr.jpg~original[/IMG]

No idea, but whatever is on channel 1 is interfering, 1 and 3 overlap, set it manually to channel 6, what's on channel 10 is slightly weaker so may not interfere with channel 6. There are only 3 non overlapping channels, 1,6 and 11

• Advertisement

Ok, will change to 6 and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

No idea, but whatever is on channel 1 is interfering, 1 and 3 overlap, set it manually to channel 6, what's on channel 10 is slightly weaker so may not interfere with channel 6. There are only 3 non overlapping channels, 1,6 and 11
    For 802.11g/n, there are 4. 1, 5, 9 and 13. This myth is perpetuated across the internet and stems from a) Americans and b) 802.11b's DSSS modulation. With 802.11g, there are 3 channels in America that shouldn't interfere with each other but in most of the rest of the world, there are 4 when using 802.11g/n.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/network-director1.5/topics/concept/wireless-80211.html#jd0e199:

"802.11 divides each frequency band into channels in a different way. For example the 2.4000-2.4835 GHz band is divided into 13 channels spaced 5 MHz apart. Channels 1, 6, and 11 were originally the only non-overlapping channels, but with the newer 802.11g standard there are now four non-overlapping channels—1, 5, 9 and 13. (There are now four because the orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) modulated 802.11g channels are 20 MHz wide.) "

For 802.11g/n, there are 4. 1, 5, 9 and 13. This myth is perpetuated across the internet and stems from a) Americans and b) 802.11b's DSSS modulation. With 802.11g, there are 3 channels in America that shouldn't interfere with each other but in most of the rest of the world, there are 4 when using 802.11g/n.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/network-director1.5/topics/concept/wireless-80211.html#jd0e199:

"802.11 divides each frequency band into channels in a different way. For example the 2.4000-2.4835 GHz band is divided into 13 channels spaced 5 MHz apart. Channels 1, 6, and 11 were originally the only non-overlapping channels, but with the newer 802.11g standard there are now four non-overlapping channels—1, 5, 9 and 13. (There are now four because the orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) modulated 802.11g channels are 20 MHz wide.) "

So I should go for 5 or 9 then?

You cannot really use 12 and 13, American devices or devices set to American standards will not work, Apple are notorious for issues with channel 12/13
    So I should go for 5 or 9 then?

At least 4 channels away

So better to try 9 then?
    I have it on 5 now and there is a little lag now and again.

So better to try 9 then?

You can't, there's an Eircom modem on 10. Note, not all devices will show up, plenty of devices use 2.4ghz and don't conform to Wi-Fi standards, video senders, baby monitors, wireless cameras, walkie talkies.

You cannot really use 12 and 13, American devices or devices set to American standards will not work, Apple are notorious for issues with channel 12/13

At least 4 channels away
    There's nothing wrong with using Channel 13, it's by far the most interference-free channel as many routers are set to use a default of 1 or 6 anyway. I have it set up on a network where people are using the iPad, iPad 2 and iPad mini and then the iPhone 5S and 5C. And every android phone I used on it was fine too. There won't be many computers being used in a household setting with US regionalisation, not least because of many american phones being completely incompatible with GSM and our 3G and also because US regionalisation for computer keyboards is different to here. I've searched on google for reports of trouble with iPhones and Channel 13 and I couldn't find anything.

It's better to temporarily plug in a long ethernet cable to rule out any wifi problems, saves all discussion about wifi channels and discussion and such configurations.
    kleefarr wrote:
    So better to try 9 then?
    Owing to the intermittent nature of the lag, you have to change one factor at a time and test it for a while. I spent a year troubleshooting terrible lag when anybody else used the internet in my family's house and I finally solved it with using QoS to limit internet speed for every connection to 92%-96% of line speed and giving every connection a basic minimum speed of say 2% of line speed. Both upstream and downstream.

It took a lot of patience but this almost completely solved the bufferbloat problem I was experiencing, though the QoS did result in a lowering of max speeds to something like 85%-90% of line speed. If someone's got VDSL, they've plenty of speed to spare on a 50 Mbit profile. I solved the lag issue on a 3 Mbit network, and the slowdown was barely noticeable.

There's nothing wrong with using Channel 13, it's by far the most interference-free channel as many routers are set to use a default of 1 or 6 anyway. I have it set up on a network where people are using the iPad, iPad 2 and iPad mini and then the iPhone 5S and 5C. And every android phone I used on it was fine too. There won't be many computers being used in a household setting with US regionalisation, not least because of many american phones being completely incompatible with GSM and our 3G and also because US regionalisation for computer keyboards is different to here. I've searched on google for reports of trouble with iPhones and Channel 13 and I couldn't find anything.

I have a USA Nexus 5, another family member has USA Nexus 4, neither work on channel 13 as they are USA model set to USA regs, work fine here other than no 4G on Nexus 5. There are also plenty of cheap Android tablets and phones that won't work. Anyone with an Apple device that's still on iOS6 for whatever reason won't be able to connect either. The regional difference between a USA keyboard is just the @key, not a huge deal, most will live with it, plenty buy laptops on the states and bring them home. It's a known issue for some devices, you'll never see a hotspot using 12 or 13 because it excludes devices.

@OP, lucernarian is right, you need to remove wireless from the equation, even just temporarily for testing

The regional difference between a USA keyboard is just the @key, not a huge deal, most will live with it, plenty buy laptops on the states and bring them home. It's a known issue for some devices, you'll never see a hotspot using 12 or 13 because it excludes devices.

@OP, lucernarian is right, you need to remove wireless from the equation, even just temporarily for testing
    Assuming that stuff about the USA nexus can't be just remedied with some setting change, most people are not going to have phones for the American market. WiFi does allow for interference reduction if the devices are co-channel and I've read that devices achieve higher throughput in environments where nearby access points use the one channel rather than one using e.g. Channel 6 and another using Channel 7 or 8.

People can decide for themselves by trying it. If American design and dogma in the IT world hadn't spread everywhere, the 1-5-9-13 arrangement would undoubtedly work better, even if the spectrum plan for 802.11g has a little bit of spectral overlap beyond the 20 MHz "channel".

Edit: This is a useful troubleshooting utility for internet connections: http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ Some of the output is rather technical.

Well still getting lag on channel 6. Not sure if I should wait and see what upgrades they are going to do before delving any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homeplugs. Forget Wifi. Go.

Well still getting lag on channel 6. Not sure if I should wait and see what upgrades they are going to do before delving any further.
    Did you try the netalyzr link I posted? It would help identify lag issues with your home network for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What exactly do you mean by "lag"?

What exactly do you mean by "lag"?
    Its not an exact thing for me. Bad ping times, inconsistent loading speeds for websites or unresponsive behaviour, jitter and delays when speaking over VoIP or Skype for example.

Had a few power cuts recently.
    Downstream decreased. :(

DSL up time 4 Days 02:09:02

Line Status
    Help
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    None
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51197
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 10.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.7
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.4
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 4.3
    Downstream CRC 226
    Upstream CRC 13
    Downstream FEC 7880067
    Upstream FEC 416174

I was hoping I would not have to come back to this thread, but alas, here I am.

Have dropped the profile down from 50/20 to 40/10.

Line stats...

DSL up time 3 Days 21:36:41

Line Status

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    none
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 40956
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 10239
    Downstream SNR (dB) 15.2
    Upstream SNR (dB) 19.4
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.8
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.5
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.8
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 4.8
    Downstream CRC 94
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 1073578
    Upstream FEC 18521

Speed in general is good. Still getting bouts of lag and have discovered that I cannot change the NAT setting on the HG658c as it has no option to change it. The NAT is always shown as needing changing when I run a connection test in xbox settings.
    Is it case of changing ports etc on the modem or do I need to contact vodafone again?

Speed in general is good. Still getting bouts of lag and have discovered that I cannot change the NAT setting on the HG658c as it has no option to change it. The NAT is always shown as needing changing when I run a connection test in xbox settings.
    Is it case of changing ports etc on the modem or do I need to contact vodafone again?

There are no NAT settings to change, you need to enable UPnP (plug and play) so the Xbox opens it's own ports in the firewall. If you don't have that option you'll need to bridge this modem and add a better router that allows it.

uPnP is enabled.

uPnP is enabled.

Get a better router then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I was hoping I would not have to come back to this thread, but alas, here I am.

Have dropped the profile down from 50/20 to 40/10.

Line stats...

DSL up time 3 Days 21:36:41

Line Status

Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    none
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 40956
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 10239
    Downstream SNR (dB) 15.2
    Upstream SNR (dB) 19.4
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.8
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.5
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.8
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 4.8
    Downstream CRC 94
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 1073578
    Upstream FEC 18521

Don't know what dropping the profile will do as your line can take more. Is that a fixed profile now? What I found is that on a fixed profile the INP symbols went from 2 on the auto (higher) profile to 29 on the fixed. Also there ms delay went from 8ms to zero on the fixed profile. So, say when I ran a speedtest on the auto profile the ms would be between 20 and 35 and in the fixed profile always 6 or 7 ms. I do not why this cant be this way on the auto profile, maybe its a "head room" thing?

Advertisement