Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre up 24 hrs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

How'd you swing that?!
    ED E wrote: »
    Enough fault reports and theyll eventually run a new drop.

Yep, asked everyone on the estate how their broadband was about a year ago and most said it could be better so I suggested they complain about it. Seems to have worked. :)

We'll have to see what difference it makes when connected up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

kleefarr wrote: »
    Yep, asked everyone on the estate how their broadband was about a year ago and most said it could be better so I suggested they complain about it. Seems to have worked. :)

We'll have to see what difference it makes when connected up.

Good stuff. Strength in numbers! Let us know if it makes a difference.

Threading the new fibre cable to new junction boxes outside...

WP_20150820_001_zpsr709qxpp.jpg

WP_20150820_002_zpsxfugepq3.jpg

Threading the new fibre cable to new junction boxes outside...

WP_20150820_001_zpsr709qxpp.jpg

WP_20150820_002_zpsxfugepq3.jpg

Were they threading that from the exchange to the cab or are you getting FTTH? How did it go? Any increase in attainable speed on account if the new line?

No idea where they were threading it to.
    Don't think it's connected up yet. I went out and asked him if it would affect the internet as the boys were on the xbox.
    May be next week.

• Advertisement

TP Link powerlines arrived this morning.
    Just did a speed test to wireless entertainment corner. 54.94 mb/s not to shabby.
    Will see what improvement over powerlines later.

Ok, powerline adapters paired, plugged in according to instructions.
    Speed test 1.98mb/s. :(

Some tweaking may be needed.

This is what the utility gives about network..

Powerline20Network_zpsiquktrfy.jpg

I have also noticed that the Network ID is blank. Should I put my network ID in?
    It asks if I'm sure I want to over right all saved passwords for current devices.

Also just noticed from that photo, there is no corresponding password for the second device.
    Will put same password in for that and see if any change.

As far as I am aware, we have not been connected to the new cable yet.
    Am awaiting confirmation from Vodafone.

Vodafone know nothing about it, I discovered last week.

However, something is happening this morning. They are digging up the hole where the new cable and box has been fitted.
    I would have thought it would have been better to have done that before putting the new equipment in. ???

Serious hole!!

WP_20150918_001_zpssvkvkb2b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Serious hole!!

WP_20150918_001_zpssvkvkb2b.jpg

Mickey Mouse Digger! :P

Still no wiser as to what they have done apart from make the old hole bigger a put a bigger cover on.

Still no wiser as to what they have done apart from make the old hole bigger a put a bigger cover on.

Can you go and ask them next time you see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Different crews do the civils and cabling. Its probably preemptive for splitters to be dropped in.

They just came back to remove the barriers.
    Popped out to have a chat with him. He said that they had just made the hole bigger in readiness for the fibre connections to be made.
    So fibre to that location and then copper to the houses in the estate. Mine being the closest I am hoping for amazing speeds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Cork981

They just came back to remove the barriers.
    Popped out to have a chat with him. He said that they had just made the hole bigger in readiness for the fibre connections to be made.
    So fibre to that location and then copper to the houses in the estate. Mine being the closest I am hoping for amazing speeds. :)

Copper to the house ? Did they say this was the set up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Cork981 wrote: »

I wouldn't take too much heed to what these civils say, they've not got a clue, they just did holes

Cork981 wrote: »

I assume they will use the existing connection to house from there, which I assume is copper.

I assume they will use the existing connection to house from there, which I assume is copper.

Not very likely, the plan is for FTTH, VDSL and Fibre cabs are used where there's already a copper cab.

Not very likely, the plan is for FTTH, VDSL and Fibre cabs are used where there's already a copper cab.

So in that case as well as having to wait for the connection to be made to the new 'hole', I will also then have to wait for the connection from the 'hole' to the house?

Is this only for Eircom customers though?

• Advertisement

So in that case as well as having to wait for the connection to be made to the new 'hole', I will also then have to wait for the connection from the 'hole' to the house?

Is this only for Eircom customers though?

If there's no duct it'll be run overhead using poles. I've seen the fibre dropwire Eircom are going using, it has a very strong tension cable that makes it stronger than copper dropwire even though it's much thinner.

If there's no duct it'll be run overhead using poles. I've seen the fibre dropwire Eircom are going using, it has a very strong tension cable that makes it stronger than copper dropwire even though it's much thinner.

Ours is under ground so suppose it's duct.

Ours is under ground so suppose it's duct.

They'll run a new dropwire up the duct (if it's possible and not kinked or blocked), if you want phone services you'll need a copper drop too as they've no VoIP services setup yet but in most cases they'll use the old copper dropwire to pull in the new dropwire. Most people don't care for phone.

Update.

Following on from my recent post HERE

I decided to ring Vodafone about an hour ago.
    Was told that my profile was on 70mbs and the line could only hold 60mbs.
    What?
    I said to the nice guy that I was chatting to that when originally installed I was told it could handle 70mbs and that was dropped to 60mbs for comfort. So I was a bit surprised when he said that.
    Anyway, he has dropped it to 60mbs and will call back tomorrow to see if any improvement. Already there has been, but he did say that it was a busy line and there may be a slowing down at some point. I told him I could handle the occasional slowing down, but for it to be absolutely useless for anything other than web browsing after 4pm is a bit ridiculous.

He also said I am on a un-enhanced cabinet and he did say this would change to an enhanced cabinet but he couldn't when.

Edit: Well, no change really. Back to the bad lag again. Spoke to soon I guess.

Well, I have to say, overall there was an obvious improvement in performance over the rest of the day. Could actually play a few streams without many issues. So all good for the time being.

Is there anyway to find out when an exchange is due for upgrade to an enhanced exchange?

Seems as last issues are down to being on a very busy line as you previously suggested Ed E and not being on an Enhanced Fibre Cabinet, according to tech support who I called on Wednesday. This with a profile that had been changed from 60/20 on a 70mb line to 70/20 on a 60mb line

Is there anyway that I can escalate the upgrade to an Enhanced Cabinet?
    Issues over the week-end were mind blowing. Kids screaming and cursing about not being able to play xbox without issues, wife disappointed that she can't watch netflix etc without lagging voice/video unsyncing. Speed acutally got down slower than dial up for a while which was a first.

All this is very strange as prior to a couple of weeks ago we had no issues after the long run of getting things finally sorted out when fibre was installed. I can only assume that not many other people in our area had fibre and now every person within a 50 mile radius is connected to our un-enhanced exchange.

So what will it take to get the exchange enhanced? A move to Eir?
    Would a drop in profile to 50/20 be of any use?

Ed E wrote:
    NB: You should probably keep this to its existing thread.

Enhanced is just sales speak for Vectoring. The NGA network is far from congested so its nothing to do with load or neighbours signing up (they may increase the noise floor by 1-2% but nothing significant).

There's something up individual to your setup/line that vodafone need to get to the bottom of.

Thanks Ed. According to tech support when talking to them, there is no issue and the only excuse was 'a very busy line'.
    So getting them to fix anything is going to be an issue in itself. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Line%20stats_zpseh37zuov.jpg~original
    DSL synchronization status Up
    DSL up time 4 Days 02:09:02

Line Status
    Line standard VDSL2
    Channel type
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 51197
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20479
    Downstream SNR (dB) 10.9
    Upstream SNR (dB) 9.2
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 14.7
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 5.4
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 13
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 4.3
    Downstream CRC 226
    Upstream CRC 13
    Downstream FEC 7880067
    Upstream FEC 416174

Haven't re read the whole thread (its getting long at this point) but this is dodgy.

With an unvectored cab you would not get 70/30 at 1000m never mind the 1500m the Archer is reading. The DSLAM is a better way to read the attenuation but if two modems are seeing significantly high values then a fault is a safe bet.

Call Vodafone, get them to run a line test from the cab (30 seconds while speaking to you) then read you out the DS Attenuation. An incorrect figure there by itself isnt a problem but it + the terrible performance you're seeing is enough to warrant them getting up off their proverbial. 6-9db dAtten would be correct. Ignore the US value.

At any point have you tried the "noise on my phone" route or is this standalone VDSL?

These are the current readings..

Line Status: Connected
    DSL Modulation Type: VDSL2
    Annex Type: Annex B/J
    Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate(kbps) 20479 61432
    Max Rate(kbps) 30273 76017
    SNR Margin(dB) 9.8 7.1
    Line Attenuation(dB) 0 22
    Errors(pkts) 1 25

This is with the TP-Link VR900 and it's the first time I have seen an error on there.

By standalone if you mean a single socket for the VDSL then no, not standalone. Both phone and modem are plugged into the socket which was installed later last year.

Ringing support now.

DS 8.9 but the nice girl has logged a engineer to come and check.
    Can't see how anything has changed not in the house anyway.

• Advertisement

Just wondering, I turn modem off each night. Maybe I shouldn't?

Advertisement