Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jules86

How long does it take to get appointment for the scan, it's been 3 weeks since I ent to the docs, and I've heard nothing since, it's my first so not sure what's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

jules86 wrote: »
    How long does it take to get appointment for the scan, it's been 3 weeks since I ent to the docs, and I've heard nothing since, it's my first so not sure what's happening

Did you fill out a form for referral to your hospital? Because it is them that organises the scans, not the GP :) With my first, I went to the doctor late October and had my scan date at the start of December for early January (I was nearly 14 weeks pregnant). This time I skipped my GP and contacted my hospital directly. I got my scan date in the post a week after I phoned them!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Did you fill out a form for referral to your hospital? Because it is them that organises the scans, not the GP :) With my first, I went to the doctor late October and had my scan date at the start of December for early January (I was nearly 14 weeks pregnant). This time I skipped my GP and contacted my hospital directly. I got my scan date in the post a week after I phoned them!

I signed the forms but the gp sent them off, he said I'd get the date in post

I signed the forms but the gp sent them off, he said I'd get the date in post

That's what I did the first time, things moved a lot slower. You will get one eventually though. What hospital are you going with, people might be able to advise of their waiting times?
    My doctor totally botched my referral - I asked for Cavan MLU, he laughed and told me it wasn't a real place and referred me to Cavan General. I ended up having to go to the MLU directly to get my booking appointment!

That's what I did the first time, things moved a lot slower. You will get one eventually though. What hospital are you going with, people might be able to advise of their waiting times?
    My doctor totally botched my referral - I asked for Cavan MLU, he laughed and told me it wasn't a real place and referred me to Cavan General. I ended up having to go to the MLU directly to get my booking appointment!

I'm going to Sligo

• Advertisement

I'm going to Sligo

I've no experience with Sligo, but an older post on Boards here suggests that Sligo only offer one scan, and it's at 20 weeks, so if that's still the case, you probably won't get an appointment for ages yet.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75333386

I've no experience with Sligo, but an older post on Boards here suggests that Sligo only offer one scan, and it's at 20 weeks, so if that's still the case, you probably won't get an appointment for ages yet.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75333386

The doctor told me 12 weeks, I.e 3 weeks time,
    I think the 20 week scan is in sligo but the earlier scan s are in the ante natal clinics (not sure if that's the correct term) in the district hospitals, I.e. Ballyshannon ,carrick on shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

booked online with holles street today so hopefully get a letter in next week or so. Going to book an early scan with Merrion fetal health as I think holles street don't scan till well after 12 weeks. will get a private one for about 10-12 weeks as just want reassurance that all is well as its my first!

annoyedgal wrote: »
    booked online with holles street today so hopefully get a letter in next week or so. Going to book an early scan with Merrion fetal health as I think holles street don't scan till well after 12 weeks. will get a private one for about 10-12 weeks as just want reassurance that all is well as its my first!

I'd love to get one as well, just for reassurance, but we just can't afford it. After this scan in two weeks, I don't get another until 32-33 weeks so we're budgeting for a scan around 25 weeks to break up the gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

ShaShaBear wrote:
    I'd love to get one as well, just for reassurance, but we just can't afford it. After this scan in two weeks, I don't get another until 32-33 weeks so we're budgeting for a scan around 25 weeks to break up the gap!

only two weeks to your first one though, so not long to wait! waiting another four to five weeks feels like an eternity at this point! 😅

• Advertisement

annoyedgal wrote: »
    only two weeks to your first one though, so not long to wait! waiting another four to five weeks feels like an eternity at this point! 😅

I feel ya, was almost 14 weeks when I got my first scan. I had worked myself into such a tizzy that I had an episode in the waiting room, convinced the baby was dead/was missing a head/only had one arm etc. If we had the money at our disposal, I'd be going for a private scan the second I could be assured of a heartbeat! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

The doctor told me 12 weeks, I.e 3 weeks time,
    I think the 20 week scan is in sligo but the earlier scan s are in the ante natal clinics (not sure if that's the correct term) in the district hospitals, I.e. Ballyshannon ,carrick on shannon

Definitely no scanning equipment in Carrick ok Shannon. The booking appointment is in the district hospitals but no scan. Sligo only do 12 week scans if there is an issue. Otherwise it's the anomaly scan at 20 weeks only.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Hi all due 8th dec. Only found out last wk due to constant nausea & vomiting, sore breasts and lower tummy cramping. had an early pregnancy scan last wk due to the cramping and all is ok. This is my third child. Have a 12 & 6 yr old daughters & had been trying for this baby going on 5 yrs now. Nice to meet you all x

Hi all due 8th dec. Only found out last wk due to constant nausea & vomiting, sore breasts and lower tummy cramping. had an early pregnancy scan last wk due to the cramping and all is ok. This is my third child. Have a 12 & 6 yr old daughters & had been trying for this baby going on 5 yrs now. Nice to meet you all x

Congrats, been a long time coming for you! :) I had bad cramping with both my pregnancies, have a retroverted uterus so it has to bend when I get pregnant, ouch!

Congrats, been a long time coming for you! :) I had bad cramping with both my pregnancies, have a retroverted uterus so it has to bend when I get pregnant, ouch!

Ouch indeed really does sound painful. Had been told last yr from doctors I'd stopped ovulating so I lost about 50lbs in the past yr and regular exercise & it seemed to have done the trick :)

Ouch indeed really does sound painful. Had been told last yr from doctors I'd stopped ovulating so I lost about 50lbs in the past yr and regular exercise & it seemed to have done the trick :)

50lbs, that's bloody incredible!!!!! I've about 18 to lose to get down again, can't shake it since I got pregnant at all!!

50lbs, that's bloody incredible!!!!! I've about 18 to lose to get down again, can't shake it since I got pregnant at all!!

I lost it slowly, used my fitness pal & walked 3/4 times a week though haven't really been able to eat the past two wks with my morning sickness. Noticed today I'm starting to show already. Is this normal on a third pregnancy? Didn't really show on either daughter til 5 months.

I lost it slowly, used my fitness pal & walked 3/4 times a week though haven't really been able to eat the past two wks with my morning sickness. Noticed today I'm starting to show already. Is this normal on a third pregnancy? Didn't really show on either daughter til 5 months.

No idea, its only my second. Didn't start showing with first until about 5 months too. I'm suffering a lot of bloat this time much earlier than before (see my earlier pic at just 9 weeks), but I'm definitely feeling fuller down there!

How's everyone getting on?
    10.5 weeks now and my scan is Monday. Hopelessly terrified that they're going to give me bad news (I've been having dreams that there was just no baby and I got diagnosed with a phantom pregnancy!!) for some weird reason.
    Totally convinced I've felt movement at this point (always read conflicting evidence on this) and certainly was sure I got a bit of movement yesterday. As a sufferer of IBS and trapped wind, I'm no stranger to the sensation, so I absolutely know whatever it was was not wind, but I wouldn't rule out a uterine twitch. Still, it would be nice to think it was a little one - I felt my first move from 13 weeks and everyone insisted I couldn't, until I was able to prove it with the ultrasound :D

I. Look. Massive! Weighed myself this morning and I'm actually 1lb lighter than last week, but I look about 4 sizes bigger. All my bottoms are unwearable because of the size of my stomach, and I have to wear baggy clothes if I'm going out. Got asked by two people today if I was pregnant again, and two people I'm very friendly with at that - was miserable telling them I wasn't only for me to be announcing I am on Monday!

Symptom wise my two main complaints are fatigue and hunger. Last time around I had no commitments and could literally nap at will. This time around, I can barely nap at all, and I'm so tired that I make horrific ad stupid mistakes day-to-day! Despite three good and healthy meals per day (and plenty of fruit and veg), I am getting so hungry between meals that I get the shakes and cold sweats, like I haven't eaten in days! It comes in waves, sometimes mere minutes after a meal, and I can have anything from one to ten bouts of it before I have another meal! My killer craving is soft boiled eggs with melted cheese on it. And if I don't eat it, I start to get nauseous (and since I have a deathly fear of vomiting, I tend to roll with the craving :pac: ). Spoke with my doctor about it and he was very confident that I could have soft boiled eggs once the whites were fully set and they were store-bought and not free range from home or a local farm etc. Also had a relatively strong craving for Heineken. Given I don't actually drink, it's pretty odd, but the smell makes my mouth water! Last time I was constantly after Smirnoff Ice, but I figured out after a few weeks it was actually lemon that did the trick!

So, after a serious rambling, how is everyone else doing?

How's everyone getting on?
    10.5 weeks now and my scan is Monday. Hopelessly terrified that they're going to give me bad news (I've been having dreams that there was just no baby and I got diagnosed with a phantom pregnancy!!) for some weird reason.
    Totally convinced I've felt movement at this point (always read conflicting evidence on this) and certainly was sure I got a bit of movement yesterday. As a sufferer of IBS and trapped wind, I'm no stranger to the sensation, so I absolutely know whatever it was was not wind, but I wouldn't rule out a uterine twitch. Still, it would be nice to think it was a little one - I felt my first move from 13 weeks and everyone insisted I couldn't, until I was able to prove it with the ultrasound :D

I. Look. Massive! Weighed myself this morning and I'm actually 1lb lighter than last week, but I look about 4 sizes bigger. All my bottoms are unwearable because of the size of my stomach, and I have to wear baggy clothes if I'm going out. Got asked by two people today if I was pregnant again, and two people I'm very friendly with at that - was miserable telling them I wasn't only for me to be announcing I am on Monday!

Symptom wise my two main complaints are fatigue and hunger. Last time around I had no commitments and could literally nap at will. This time around, I can barely nap at all, and I'm so tired that I make horrific ad stupid mistakes day-to-day! Despite three good and healthy meals per day (and plenty of fruit and veg), I am getting so hungry between meals that I get the shakes and cold sweats, like I haven't eaten in days! It comes in waves, sometimes mere minutes after a meal, and I can have anything from one to ten bouts of it before I have another meal! My killer craving is soft boiled eggs with melted cheese on it. And if I don't eat it, I start to get nauseous (and since I have a deathly fear of vomiting, I tend to roll with the craving :pac: ). Spoke with my doctor about it and he was very confident that I could have soft boiled eggs once the whites were fully set and they were store-bought and not free range from home or a local farm etc. Also had a relatively strong craving for Heineken. Given I don't actually drink, it's pretty odd, but the smell makes my mouth water! Last time I was constantly after Smirnoff Ice, but I figured out after a few weeks it was actually lemon that did the trick!

So, after a serious rambling, how is everyone else doing?

Hi hun hope the scan goes well for you. I've felt some movement too last night. My morning sickness has mostly gone as long as i stick to toast which I've been living off the last few wks but its better than the alternative. Had a scan last wk due to light bleeding & all is good. am 11 weeks now tuesday & all symptoms bar the breast soreness has eased thank god.
    No weight gain or cravings yet but have a very small bump :P

• Advertisement

Hi hun hope the scan goes well for you. I've felt some movement too last night. My morning sickness has mostly gone as long as i stick to toast which I've been living off the last few wks but its better than the alternative. Had a scan last wk due to light bleeding & all is good. am 11 weeks now tuesday & all symptoms bar the breast soreness has eased thank god.
    No weight gain or cravings yet but have a very small bump :P

Oh we're at the same dates so far then :D I'm 11 weeks Tuesday as well! Well I've not been to a midwife or GP yet, but my sister is a trainee midwife and she worked out dates for me :pac:
    18 hours and counting for the scan, I'm soooo nervous! All the symptoms I'm having and the movement I'm pretty sure I'm feeling, OH said if my dreams are true and there's no baby there he's taking me to the vets to be put down :o

Oh we're at the same dates so far then :D I'm 11 weeks Tuesday as well! Well I've not been to a midwife or GP yet, but my sister is a trainee midwife and she worked out dates for me :pac:
    18 hours and counting for the scan, I'm soooo nervous! All the symptoms I'm having and the movement I'm pretty sure I'm feeling, OH said if my dreams are true and there's no baby there he's taking me to the vets to be put down :o

I don't have my scan til the 25th, I'm sure all will be fine. I'm also having some fairly out there dreams. I'm sure its all down to hormones & anxiety xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

They wouldn't hear it with a stethoscope at all, they use a doppler but wouldn't even attempt that until much later when the baby is up out of the pelvis and bigger. Short of getting another scan you just have to wait, it's completely possible that her symptoms can ease around the end of the first trimester.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

stuchyg wrote: »
    My wife is 10 weeks tomorrow with our first. We had a MM in Dec at 9 n a half weeks. Last Saturday we had a private scan at 8 weeks 5 days. Good strong heartbeat. Today bar an hour in the evening my wife has had no soreness in her boobs. She also isn't as tired last couple days, previously she would be in bed by half 9 at the latest.

Could her symptoms have stopped so suddenly. Naturally after the last time she is v worried and upset, as am I tbh but i don't want to worry her. Could a doctor hear a heartbeat with a stethoscope if we went tomorrow. Our scan isn't for 2 weeks which is too long to wait.

Hi

I was 10 weeks on Saturday there and had a private scan the previous saturday at 9 weeks. a good strong heartbeat and everything looking well. like your wife my symptoms just more or less stopped just before that scan. now I wasn't dreadfully sick to begin with only slight nausea and sore boobs. and in the last week the extreme tiredness has gone. so try not to worry( but I know how hard that is, I'm still worrying).

Hi

I was 10 weeks on Saturday there and had a private scan the previous saturday at 9 weeks. a good strong heartbeat and everything looking well. like your wife my symptoms just more or less stopped just before that scan. now I wasn't dreadfully sick to begin with only slight nausea and sore boobs. and in the last week the extreme tiredness has gone. so try not to worry( but I know how hard that is, I'm still worrying).

I'm 11 weeks tomorrow, scan in 2.5 hours but I've started to get movement so I'm happy enough. My symptoms come and go and until recently I didn't have much of any! Unless she is cramping and/or spotting, I wouldn't worry too much! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Wife just text to say she is wrecked and feels sick as a dog, best news ever. Hope everyone's scans go well.

are these private scans people are getting at 12 weeks??
    I'm attending a satellite clinic for holles street but no scan till 20 weeks. I had a scan at 12 weeks on my first as my booking appointment was in holles street but this booking appointment is in satellite clinic so no scan. :(

are these private scans people are getting at 12 weeks??
    I'm attending a satellite clinic for holles street but no scan till 20 weeks. I had a scan at 12 weeks on my first as my booking appointment was in holles street but this booking appointment is in satellite clinic so no scan. :(

Mines public. I get one to date the pregnancy and another at 32 weeks. Some hospitals only offer one!

Strong healthy heartbeat detected today, plenty of movement too :)

Mines public. I get one to date the pregnancy and another at 32 weeks. Some hospitals only offer one!

Strong healthy heartbeat detected today, plenty of movement too :)

so do you get your anomaly scan at 32 weeks? always amazed at the difference between hospitals

• Advertisement

so do you get your anomaly scan at 32 weeks? always amazed at the difference between hospitals

I don't get any anomaly scan. A lot of hospitals don't offer them anymore

Advertisement