Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I love the sun .

Lunch time 5k - supposed to be easy/recovary not sure what it was maybe steady/ hp tempo

Brought phone which decided to miss a couple of meters here and there and I paused it a couple of times by accident so pace is anyone's guess.

The phone is confused - map my run that is - I think it's because I am forever changing from mile to km. I know I didn't run a km in a 7 min Mile.

So I'm guessing 5k at 845 min mile

Five k yesterday at half marathon pace 5.32 ( wishful thinking me thinks) .

Felt hard - still very congested . Why do I do it to myself . Two weeks I have had this stupid allergy cold thing. Thinking it had to be allergy because no other symptoms . Seriously annoying - I have tried changing antihistamine , taking Sudofed got some spray thing for nose . Nothing working . No idea how many blow the nose stops I'll have to make Monday . I apologise in advance to my fellow runners for any weird noises etc .

Not concerned about time - the negative man in my head is so over it already! Finding it difficult these days to run solo - I reckon I'll find a group going at similar pace and tag along . I may go with the two hour pacer for a bit . Stupid running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Five k yesterday at half marathon pace 5.32 ( wishful thinking me thinks) .

Felt hard - still very congested . Why do I do it to myself . Two weeks I have had this stupid allergy cold thing. Thinking it had to be allergy because no other symptoms . Seriously annoying - I have tried changing antihistamine , taking Sudofed got some spray thing for nose . Nothing working . No idea how many blow the nose stops I'll have to make Monday . I apologise in advance to my fellow runners for any weird noises etc .

Not concerned about time - the negative man in my head is so over it already! Finding it difficult these days to run solo - I reckon I'll find a group going at similar pace and tag along . I may go with the two hour pacer for a bit . Stupid running

Just hold finger to one side of nose and let fly:) tissue only agravates nose.
    some deodorant spray and after shave set me off, sinutab I have found works.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Just hold finger to one side of nose and let fly:) tissue only agravates nose.
    some deodorant spray and after shave set me off, sinutab I have found works.

I wish I could do that ! shouldnt do anything on race day that you haven't practiced ! Still time to practice I suspose - well maybe not while running! Might try sinetab - no harm at this stage I've tried everything else!

Well what can I say ! That was a disaster from start to finish ! At least I tried hard - legs went from under me at finish line and got a nice rest in medic tent for ten minutes and a bag of crisps!

I would generally be ok running in hot weather but yesterday nearly kilt me. By 10k I was wacked.

After a mile it was obvious that the distance we had run was out of whack with the signage but I assumed it would work itself out after a couple of miles - that didn't seem to be happening and it was very confusing trying to figure out revised times etc. Very de motivating . I stopped at all water stations to drink - screw top bottles were a bit of struggle. I think I need hypnotism because I am way to negative and kept convincing myself to walk for a bit . In saying that at the end I was in bits so maybe the walking was a good thing. Who knows.

All I know is that my stamina is rubbish - shoud have taken all advice and not done it / the head cold didn't help as I couldn't breathe through my nose and sniffed for the entire time .

Came over line at 204 10 - just behind two hour pacer so maybe would have snuck under the 2 hr mark if the race distance was correct . Wouldn't have gone down at the finish line as it was the last 750 meters that kilt me!

When will I ever learn. Never doing that race again - second time doing the half and second time it was an organisational disaster .

Crowds were super mind as were the medics! There were a lot of full marathon guys that seemed in a bad way in the medic tent . hope they were all ok.

Feeling ok today but so over running - the only thing going through my head was I am so not doing a marathon!

• Advertisement

Well what can I say ! That was a disaster from start to finish ! At least I tried hard - legs went from under me at finish line and got a nice rest in medic tent for ten minutes and a bag of crisps!

I would generally be ok running in hot weather but yesterday nearly kilt me. By 10k I was wacked.

After a mile it was obvious that the distance we had run was out of whack with the signage but I assumed it would work itself out after a couple of miles - that didn't seem to be happening and it was very confusing trying to figure out revised times etc. Very de motivating . I stopped at all water stations to drink - screw top bottles were a bit of struggle. I think I need hypnotism because I am way to negative and kept convincing myself to walk for a bit . In saying that at the end I was in bits so maybe the walking was a good thing. Who knows.

All I know is that my stamina is rubbish - shoud have taken all advice and not done it / the head cold didn't help as I couldn't breathe through my nose and sniffed for the entire time .

Came over line at 204 10 - just behind two hour pacer so maybe would have snuck under the 2 hr mark if the race distance was correct . Wouldn't have gone down at the finish line as it was the last 750 meters that kilt me!

When will I ever learn. Never doing that race again - second time doing the half and second time it was an organisational disaster .

Crowds were super mind as were the medics! There were a lot of full marathon guys that seemed in a bad way in the medic tent . hope they were all ok.

Feeling ok today but so over running - the only thing going through my head was I am so not doing a marathon!
    Well done tough course and long course and very warm.

Well done tough course and long course and very warm.

My race sounds like a doddle now compared to your adventures . Hope your feeling ok and taking a well deserved rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

My race sounds like a doddle now compared to your adventures . Hope your feeling ok and taking a well deserved rest .

Hi there, just caught up with your report... Looks like you would have been under the 2 hours if the bloody distance was right, that sucks.

Hopefully you've had time to get over it and are not OVER RUNNING any more!!! I'm counting on you to get that sub 50 :D

And no fun ending up in the medical tent, jaysis

Couldn't bring myself to run until Friday - too exhausted . I hope Monday didn't deplete my iron stores because I am that whacked !

Did 7k Friday and made an effort to try and make sure it was easy and over 6.00 mark. Wasn't that much of an effort in the end - that's all I could do!

It seemed to be that the humidity yesterday at lunch was close to 100% before the rain
    Much stickier then cork on Monday .
    Right leg felt stuff with aches in knee and hamstring. Felt better after.

I was in a puddle at the end - and I wouldn't be a big sweater as a general rule.

Did the weighing thing before and after cause convinced my hydrating skills during a race are awful.

Dropped a pound over 7k!
    I'm sure that was unusual mind ! So that's the equivalent of about 500 ml an hour. I'd say on Monday I drank 200ml in total if even.

I have been asking around about other folk and what they drink during a race - everyone says only sip during a race but people cagey in giving me a number - as in do you sip at a 500ml bottle -is it finished at the end?? People cagey about the weirdest of things!

So don't feel like running , lost my mojo .

In other news our marathon schedule has appeared . I like it because it eases on the club sessions and tempos now done at at most hp pace . Some fartleks to keep a bit of faster movement going . Downside it spans five days . That's going to be hard on body and available time. I think the key for me is to get the easy bit right and to do hp pace etc. Hard when you train with a bunch of crazies

annapr wrote: »
    Hi there, just caught up with your report... Looks like you would have been under the 2 hours if the bloody distance was right, that sucks.

Hopefully you've had time to get over it and are not OVER RUNNING any more!!! I'm counting on you to get that sub 50 :D

And no fun ending up in the medical tent, jaysis

I think I might have snuck it by a sec !!

The sub 50 might have to wait a while - I'm focusing on marathon training now for a while which hopefully involved nice easy running! All over easy running right now!

• Advertisement

Just back from a relaxed 15.5 k. Nice chatty pace . Downhill for the first 4K - which of course means last 4K uphill!!!! Rest pancake flat with lovely views and no traffic ! Really enjoyed it - drank a full 500ml of water which is unusual for me. It was very humid mind . Pulled back anytime we started to put foot down . Took a gel to try out a new one not sure we needed it though - kinetica and cola flavoured - nice and not too gloopy.

My breathing was a bit raspy on some of the uphill - mind you I was still chatting away . Going see how I get on in the next while and come up with a target for Berlin . I was supposed to be doing dun shaughlin next week but have just pulled out . Over racing for the minute. All going well I'll try the Fingal 10k and the rock n roll half . Not signing up until last second mind!

That's actually a lie - cause I have signed up rock n roll already! Whoops

That's actually a lie - cause I have singled up rock n roll already! Whoops

So you might as well sign up for fingal too then! Might see you there.

1st night of alleged marathon training .

20 mins tempo at marathon pace followed by 4*3 min hills

So 20 mins @ 5.37 (wishful thinking)
    4-600m hills at 5.05
    Cool down

Cool down 24 mins @ 5.43

Total distance including slow walk/jog down hills ( walk to about 20 m jog rest) about 12.5 k!

tough old session . Tired now!

2nd day of marathon training;

Plan 35 mins easy

Actual : 5k easy

Went nuts all together and went out naked! Well without the garmin or phone . Trying to go easy and looking at the watch freaks me out the brain starts with the "shouldn't be that hard to go that slow " etc. So just trotted along a well beaten 5k track from my house. Nice running weather . Tried to focus and form but every time I do that I just go faster so I forgot about it.

I'm trying to be all over this easy running business- tomorrow should be interesting! Will folk really do a tempo at half marathon pace precluded by 5k of easy running . Doubt it.

If I'm doing extra miles I want to stick to the schedule or I'll be wrecked before I start .

Hey there, I found this post by Demfad really helpful for figuring out how to do easy running, without focusing on the watch. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99855140&postcount=52

Also, be careful about training with your speedy club mates at their pace... Especially for marathon training, you need to find your own pace and not get caught up. I've heard lots of examples of people getting injured like that...

Hey there, I found this post by Demfad really helpful for figuring out how to do easy running, without focusing on the watch. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99855140&postcount=52

Also, be careful about training with your speedy club mates at their pace... Especially for marathon training, you need to find your own pace and not get caught up. I've heard lots of examples of people getting injured like that...

Great thread Anna thanks - might be a good thing to practice on holidays away from the club !

Yeah I have been injured twice now trying to keep up with these guys - it's not only are they faster but they never follow the plan - hp tempo pace means 5k pace to them etc . I have a mini group now in the big group that are at about my level - so mid week runs should be ok. My Berlin buddies are a wee bit faster but enough to kill me over long distances , these guys will try to stick with the schedule but their easy and my easy don't exactly tally . We were all going to aim for sub 4 - but I have decided to change by goal - my friend Hal said if you train right and pace right there should not be a wall - so pick a realistic goal. I will see how the rock and roll pans out and go from there .

I am not going to run long distances by myself . Not a chance .I am hopeful that I can tag along with my mini group who are all doing Dublin and then I can add on some distance at the end .

Anyways I do go on .

Great thread Anna thanks - might be a good thing to practice on holidays away from the club !

Yeah I have been injured twice now trying to keep up with these guys - it's not only are they faster but they never follow the plan - hp tempo pace means 5k pace to them etc . I have a mini group now in the big group that are at about my level - so mid week runs should be ok. My Berlin buddies are a wee bit faster but enough to kill me over long distances , these guys will try to stick with the schedule but their easy and my easy don't exactly tally . We were all going to aim for sub 4 - but I have decided to change by goal - my friend Hal said if you train right and pace right there should not be a wall - so pick a realistic goal. I will see how the rock and roll pans out and go from there .

I am not going to run long distances by myself . Not a chance .I am hopeful that I can tag along with my mini group who are all doing Dublin and then I can add on some distance at the end .

Anyways I do go on .

Why not do few miles nice and easy before you meet your running group and
    then no harm if end of run is slightly faster, may work better, sometimes end of
    run is when u need the distraction of company :)

Why not do few miles nice and easy before you meet your running group and
    then no harm if end of run is slightly faster, may work better, sometimes end of
    run is when u need the distraction of company :)

Sounds like a plan! Company is essential for me - if no company the little quitter man in my brain never stops with the nagging!

Ok so training kind of went to plan

4 k easy translated to :
    1st k. 5:55
    2nd k. 5:47
    3rd k. 5:35
    4th k. 5:35

Then what was suppose to be hm pace:
    5th k. 5:23
    6th k. 5:13
    7th k. 4:55
    8k. 5:10
    8.5k. 4:57

Was on a role but had to tie lace during 8th k-. Think my mojo coming back - first time I could dip under 5min k in a while.

Not to schedule but on bright side didn't do the mad 420 spilts that the others were at . Ignored them . Didn't have watch again just map my run and checked at end .

Done now till Sunday . Sports massage in morning so yay!

• Advertisement

Massage went well. Tight hamstrings but otherwise legs in good nick! One less excuse then.

Sounds like a plan! Company is essential for me - if no company the little quitter man in my brain never stops with the nagging!

He is a persistent little bastid!!!

Well done on the HM splits... But careful about going too fast!! :p

He is a persistent little bastid!!!

Well done on the HM splits... But careful about going too fast!! :p

Currently trying to squash another guy in there - one that thinks everything is perfectly super and whispers things like " we've got this , just pass your man there , champione, champione, ole ole ole "

The hm tempos are odd really when it's just 8k not sure what they are supposed to achieve as in it's really just steady running for twenty mins -- not threshold etc. If the whole session was at hm pace fine but 4?

The marathon schedule seems ok but seems to be lacking any real tempo or interval training -and we haven't had an explanatory session yet so who knows the whys behind some of the workouts . I

Tired this morning - well it's very early to be fair !

Long run yesterday . Schedule called for 18k . 10k easy , 8k marathon pace . I chose to read this as fantasy marathon pace !

Was strangely looking forward to it as Thursday's session seemed to indicate the iron tablets were finally doing their thing . The persistent rain didn't even put me off which as a glasses wearer is normally a big moan fest.

Anyways picked a nice time to go because the rain was only a light drizzle and had a lovely cooling effect - would have been fierce humid without it . Could only find a kiddies bottle of water to bring with( practicing trying to drink on the run - normally rubbish )

First 10k was chatty and into a wonderful breeze - phew.

Tried to keep it slow because we knew there was hard work down the line . Country roads making me sniffly and breathing not as chipper as it should have been due to the Nose being out of action . I'm very precious about my breathing as I'm ashmtaic so once I'm comfortable the issue isn't in my chest I'm relaxed . Didn't stop the gossiping though.

First 10k @ 5:50 ish.

Stopped to take a gel - didn't really feel like I needed it but more of an experimental thing . Then foot down for the return leg - warmer now at this stage as the wind now at our backs .

Final 8k @ 534 approx . Last k at 5:25

Felt that I could have kept running but would have to slow down. Different runner completely then the one who showed up in cork . Plan is next weekend for long run to slow the easy but down to 6.00 min k plus to be able to do the mp segment . Will have to rely on garmin beeper for pacing or a bit . Even the mp bit is too fast.

My buddy has a new garmin and there was a gap bewteen watches at end of 100m. Assuming her watch is more accurate I really need a new one.?mght be worth thinking about a pace band!

Last night i ran mp for 12k. The first 3.0k is down hill so handy enough - chatty easy pace , then we ran along a straight path for 3k before turning on our heels and back up the hill. Pace more or less the same the entire way. Not so handy on way back up. Very airless night - legs not feeling marvellous . Stiff nearly straight away after .

Tonight I did some cross training - 25 mins with my buddy Shaun T . Ript circuit - so include core, leg and upper body work.

On the countdown for holidays ! So hoping last minute sit-ups will work miracles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Nice session!

Session on schedule : 4k* easy , 2k at half marathon pace , 2 mins rest, 2k at half marathon pace

Actual session: 2k easy
    2 k at hmp(5:25)
    2k @ threshold pace (5:08) - making the pace names up now
    Slow run 2 mins
    2k @ ten k pace (5:00)

Pace was comfortably hard - at no point was my body screaming to stop. I was trying to maintain a fast pace whilst keeping the breathing under control - concentrating on form . Not that I really know what that is - but I was going with trying to minimise heel striking and fast cadence . Enjoyed the run a lot -last one with the group now for a while ! Happy enough go over hp pace for these small segments no real speed work on the schedule and still hankering after that mystical 10k pb

Long run was ok despite the bi**tc*** and moaning before hand - too early n the morning , too long , who wanted to do stupid marathon anyway!

First 12k was supposed to be easy pace - after a heroic effort of trying to to stay above 6:00 k we failed - maintaining an effort of about 5:55 on average . To be fair about half the spilts are over 6.00 when we remembered to slow the pace. All in all the 12k was most enjoyable and time flew by - felt effortless . Took a gel at 12k just to practice - drank lucazade sport on route as well for a change.

We were supposed to speed it up at 12k to do marathon pace but only remembered at 13k . Total average pace for the remaining 10k including this one was 5:42 min k .

The pace felt fine until the last 2k - we turned into the beach and the sand and a slight headwind made it feel tougher so I got out of there to finish off. Last k in 5:25 min k. Again I could have kept running for longer albeit at a slower pace. Legs felt OK . Didn't take a second gel this week - felt like I had enough energy to carry on -not really sure what I should be doing gel wise . Took a recovary shake straight away after . Legs ok today although still a bit hobbled from the squats on Wednesday!!!

Need to squash in recovary run this morning - because after 2 o clock all bets are off . And oh yeah have to pack for the holidays in the morning

Last run done in Ireland for a couple of weeks - recovery 5.5k @ 6.06. Proud of that . I know I still have to work on the slow but getting better .

Grand total for the week is 48.5k . I think I have finally gone over to the dark side , no hold on that's 30 miles!!! Longest distance I have ran in a week since 2009. Go me !! ( nothing like bikini season for motivation)

• Advertisement

Good week for you... Do you have a target time for the marathon? Just wondering how you're setting your MP pace... And ok you can give out to me for nagging but 6:06 is not recovery pace! :p

Have a great holiday.

Advertisement