Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the sub 50 10k - for what seems like forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I think training went well tonight hard to know really. The session tonight was tempo intervals 4*1k at 7.30
    Total run: 10.5 k at 9:40
    warm up: 2.6k at 9:40
    1st interval: 7:24
    2nd interval: 7:27
    3rd interval: 7:31
    4th interval: 7:31
    cool down 2.7K at 10:30
    3 min rest in between intervals - these are generally walk/slow jog
    Not sure if the rest is too restie? as in does the walk give too much recovery?

Awful stitch before last interval but managed to breathe it out. I am always getting stitches -strangely it happens most going downhill at speed (tonight wasn't down hill but there was speed). I can mostly control then by breathing against them but they still cause a problem with pace etc.

I think I am beginning to relax a little bit and concentrate on my breathing instead of my pace.
    My calves feel a bit tight from Tuesday.
    One last run left for the week. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good times on those intervals!! although I still can't get my head around running a kilometer using mile pace... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I believe there is a 10k coming up in Clontarf. From what I understand it is relatively flat. If you have a time in mind for the race, a course like this should give you the best chance of achieving it along with appropriate training.

I believe there is a 10k coming up in Clontarf. From what I understand it is relatively flat. If you have a time in mind for the race, a course like this should give you the best chance of achieving it along with appropriate training.

Thanks I will look into that

Friday- ended up doing a short slow run of 3 k half of which included pushing a big two year old in a buggy!! ( about 10:45 min mile)

Saturday - long slow run (10 miles at 10 28 min /miles). Undulating course . Wind and rain for first half. Unpleasant . 2nd half wind on back. Nice !! Didn't have much left in the legs after last week.
    Weekly mileage : 29.3

Tired now after a wee bit of wine last night and too early up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bluesquare wrote: »
    I think training went well tonight hard to know really. The session tonight was tempo intervals 4*1k at 7.30
    Total run: 10.5 k at 9:40
    warm up: 2.6k at 9:40
    1st interval: 7:24
    2nd interval: 7:27
    3rd interval: 7:31
    4th interval: 7:31
    cool down 2.7K at 10:30
    3 min rest in between intervals - these are generally walk/slow jog
    Not sure if the rest is too restie? as in does the walk give too much recovery?

Awful stitch before last interval but managed to breathe it out. I am always getting stitches -strangely it happens most going downhill at speed (tonight wasn't down hill but there was speed). I can mostly control then by breathing against them but they still cause a problem with pace etc.

I think I am beginning to relax a little bit and concentrate on my breathing instead of my pace.
    My calves feel a bit tight from Tuesday.
    One last run left for the week. Yay.
    Hi Bluesquare, lovely consistency on those reps, nice. I don't think the rest is to restie. Me personally, I always keep moving on the recovery (sometimes stop for a few seconds after a really tough rep), walking and jogging works for me as long as the legs keep moving. Apparently it disperses lactic build up/stops lactic spiking.
    I f I get a hint of a stitch, it's usually on a pacey downhill too: I think it's because the tendency is to lean back slightly on the downhill. I always tilt my pelvis slightly up and suck in my tummy slightly to counteract that. If that makes sense, maybe that might work for you?

annapr wrote: »
    Good times on those intervals!! although I still can't get my head around running a kilometer using mile pace... :confused:

Hiya

Not sure it's supposed to be mile pace. I am training with a group who are faster then me. The schedule has 1k tempo intervals every second week at a 730 pace. As far as I can make out this would be the average approx current 5k pace of the group . Not my 5k pace or anything near it!!! The group tend to do the excerise faster than the guideline pace. I think it supposed to work on 5k times - but could be wrong as nobody has actually explained why we do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Thanks I will look into that

Hi bluesquare - I think greenmachine might be thinking of the Brian boru race which is 10 miles, not 10k. Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck with the log and training.

Hiya

Not sure it's supposed to be mile pace. I am training with a group who are faster then me. The schedule has 1k tempo intervals every second week at a 730 pace. As far as I can make out this would be the average approx current 5k pace of the group . Not my 5k pace or anything near it!!! The group tend to do the excerise faster than the guideline pace. I think it supposed to work on 5k times - but could be wrong as nobody has actually explained why we do it!!

I'd say it will stand to you though, going with a faster group... so long as it's not too much of a stretch.

annapr wrote: »
    I'd say it will stand to you though, going with a faster group... so long as it's not too much of a stretch.

It's difficult to know if it is ok or not . I don't want to overtrain either !

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Hi bluesquare - I think greenmachine might be thinking of the Brian boru race which is 10 miles, not 10k. Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck with the log and training.

Thanks- that 10 miler looks interesting might be tempted !

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi Bluesquare, lovely consistency on those reps, nice. I don't think the rest is to restie. Me personally, I always keep moving on the recovery (sometimes stop for a few seconds after a really tough rep), walking and jogging works for me as long as the legs keep moving. Apparently it disperses lactic build up/stops lactic spiking.
    I f I get a hint of a stitch, it's usually on a pacey downhill too: I think it's because the tendency is to lean back slightly on the downhill. I always tilt my pelvis slightly up and suck in my tummy slightly to counteract that. If that makes sense, maybe that might work for you?

Thanks I will try that for sure!

Last night 7 mile @9 min mile

Splits : 9.15 ,9.16 ,8.51 ,8.46 ,9.08 ,8.44 8.49

First half into the wind and rain! 2nd half weather changed and became quite pleasant . The last mile was a steady incline . First 5 mile the pace was steady - able to chat , last couple of miles not so chatty!

Think I can label this run as a tempo at hp pace.

Doing the bupa run next week and no idea how to pace myself. Usually I know exactly where I am at as I would have done a couple of runs at flat out pace so would know my ability . This time I have just been training as per schedule so it's a bit weird .

52 in my head for some reason. Best I have done is 54 40 three weeks ago . 1 mile warm up 1 mile cool down and 4 mile @ 8.25

Don't want to mess it up!

Just got results of repeat blood tests . Iron still not back to normal - need to continue with tablets ( they are on the way up though)

Great excuse if stamina not where I need it to be

Tonight was the dreaded mile trial. You would swear I was running in the Olympics I was so nervous! Palpitations , random new injurys, a stitch in the warm up etc.

First time doing it on the track - so was surprised by the real racey feel.

Anyways decided not to look at the watch and go with feel. At the half way mark the time was 335 which is a pace of 710 so it looks like I was fairly consistent . Kicked it up for the last 100m. In retrospect I think I should have went all in a bit sooner may have gained a second or two .

In the all I am happy with the result and it gives me a good basis for pacing the 10k next week.

Oh and the over all time was 711.

Saturday usual long run 11 miles @10 min mile - ran the last k at 8 min mile cause starving. First morning wearing teeshirt with no extra layer . Lovely morning for it. My body is either used to the distance now or chocalate milk the job because no achy legs afterwards.

Decided I needed to run on Sunday as well cause mileage down this week due to mile trial . So with a belly full of last nights pizza , wine and chocalate I set off on my 'slow' run. The first k was grand @ 9 min mile so decided I would try out an 8 min mile for a k. 4 k later with 1k splits of 7.54,755,803, and 740 I slowed down for a k at about 920 then sped up again unintentionally to 830 with a grand finale of 740. Overall 8k time of 41 mins at 8.15 min mile . I just got carried away with myself . Pacing obviously rubbish. Fastest time ever doing that distance though so can't be all bad. Happy also that it was the morning after a glutinous night and an 11 miler the day before .

Rest now till Tuesday

Weekly total 25 miles if I include warm up for 1 miler !

Have decided that I will try 815 for 5k on Saturday and then run as fast as I can for 5k and see whAt happens. Not used to that pace so should be interesting .

I will go training on Tuesday and do whatever on schedule then do small slow run Wednesday and then nothing until sat

Saturday usual long run 11 miles @10 min mile - ran the last k at 8 min mile cause starving. First morning wearing teeshirt with no extra layer . Lovely morning for it. My body is either used to the distance now or chocalate milk the job because no achy legs afterwards.

Decided I needed to run on Sunday as well cause mileage down this week due to mile trial . So with a belly full of last nights pizza , wine and chocalate I set off on my 'slow' run. The first k was grand @ 9 min mile so decided I would try out an 8 min mile for a k. 4 k later with 1k splits of 7.54,755,803, and 740 I slowed down for a k at about 920 then sped up again unintentionally to 830 with a grand finale of 740. Overall 8k time of 41 mins at 8.15 min mile . I just got carried away with myself . Pacing obviously rubbish. Fastest time ever doing that distance though so can't be all bad. Happy also that it was the morning after a glutinous night and an 11 miler the day before .

Rest now till Tuesday

Weekly total 25 miles if I include warm up for 1 miler !

That's a good week!!! just call yesterday's run a Fartlek and you'll sound like an expert! ;)

In general, though, probably not a great idea to do a 'session' after a long run, but sometimes you just feel like it! sounds like you enjoyed it, that's the main thing.

Paying for it this morning I tells ya - niggle in right leg near ankle/calve

I get bored very easily so my legs do weird stuff to keep me amused.

First time in a long time that I had the energy in a solo run to take off like that. Most of my running is done with the club these days so any just me runs are slow without requiring slowing down effort!! (in between hard days).

Nigggle turned into calf tear- went out on Tuesday night to do tempo. After second tempo ,slow down and calf began to ache and got worse and worse until I couldn't walk. Ended up having to accost a teenager for a phone and rang a cab home.

Couldn't walk without pain the next day so took myself to physio who diagnosed level 1 calf tear . On third day of rest and to say I am annoyed would be mild. Every single time I get to this level of fitness something happens! Anyways I know its my own fault but doesn't make it easier .

Not feeling too bad today so best case scenario ill be back running before fitness ebbs away. Will no more next week when return to physio

• Advertisement

Oh no, sorry to hear that Bluesquare... hope you are back in action soon.

Still chasing that sub 50k! That calf tear kept me nicely paranoid for at least 8 months and was followed by a second tear in September . The joys of running . After an on- off relationship with calf sleeves finished last year with a pb of 51 30 for the 10k.

Somebody put me in some team lottery system for some race in some foreign place that apparently hands out pbs . We bloody got it and now after months of bullying I've finally booked the flights . Off to Berlin .

Thing is I am not sure I want to run 26.2 miles. It seems hard. And the training And that getting up of a Saturday morning when you should be snoring !

Anyways I'll be visiting Berlin that weekend now so I suspose I may as well go for a trot .

My fellow team members are stronger runners than me but I have the advantage - I am more likely to pb ! I have only done one marathon 7 years ago in 432 .

So I have 3 targets

Drum roll.......
    1. Sub 4 hours - if Sarah Palin can do it why not me!
    2. A pb
    3. Enjoy the race - I want to to change personality and say at the end - I loved every minute of it!

So to help my targets I have been building up a base since January . I am running 25 miles a week give or take with a long run at weekend of up to 20k.

I feel like I need to run that sub 50 and do a half marathon in sub 150 to have any hope in going sub 4 in Berlin .

So far this year I have raced the raheny 5 mile ( 40 30) and the bohermeen half ( 159 )

I was disappointed with bohermeen - but had a chest infection so it was still a pb so I'll take it . I was targeting 155 but on the day I was lucky to be able to run it at all ! The doctor was nice to lecture me on mis management of asthma blah blah . Have it all under control now so looking for a nice half to redeem myself.

I find when I am running with a club it's difficult to know what level your actually at! Anyways I thought it might help to start diarising again.

So here goes........

A quick review of last weeks training:

Tuesday : Warm up of 2 miles, 3*4 min hills at 5.05,5.03 and last one at 4:50.cool down 2 miles

Wednesday - 20 minutes Pilates for runners
    Thursday - 45 mins core and upper body . 2k run on treadmill @ 4:50
    Friday - 8k "progressive "run into a horrific wind so spilts all over the place but finished with 4:55
    Sat: long run 18k on a very hilly route . Pace 5:47. Legs very sore and tired before starting - that would be the core routine which for some reason involves a lot of squating!!! Strong finish at 513 pace ( last k)

Monday

4.5 k run around the green . Pace about 9. 15 min miles. Right leg fierce stiff .

Groin quite tight .

Tempo intervals tonight . Very tired - just at back at work after a week off so early mornings killing me. I'll just have to coffee it up later!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck with the training. We have the same target so I'll be following with interest!

Have you a marathon plan in mind?

I sure do- the Berlin at the end of September . Flights and accomadation booked now so no escape!!!

Thanks for the support ! Great that there is someone with similar goals !

Last night was a tempo interval session the session as planned was 4*6 mins at 10 k pace (2min jog breaks in between)

Actual session
    1.85k warm up at 5:50 pace
    6 mins@ 445
    6 mins@453
    6 mins@452
    6 mins@440

3k cool down@5:50 pace
    Complete session 10.65 k @ 5.33 pace

Didn't feel particularly strong during intervals ( doesn't help that at the back of a strong group). Right leg still still a bit sore (hamstrings/groin) . Third one I just wanted to stop ! Felt like i went into slow motion. The fourth one was the only one not into the wind so hence a little faster and also you know once it's done you can stop torturing yourself . I think if I was by myself I may have stopped on the third one!!

With these sessions I never know whether I'm doing the intervals to hard or not hard enough . They certainly were not 10k pace more like 5k pace ! And that was true for everyone in the group I would guess!

Anyway it was tough and I deserve the delicious scone I'm just about to have!

Bottom line is I have no idea if sub 50 is anywhere within my grasp!

I sure do- the Berlin at the end of September . Flights and accomadation booked now so no escape!!!

Thanks for the support ! Great that there is someone with similar goals !

Sorry my post was a bit unclear, I was asking if you had a training plan in mind for it? I'm doing Berlin too!

Apologies - I will be using a plan supplied by the running club . It's 20 weeks long and starts mid May . The first month or so is handy brings me to now mileage wise. I think it's a bit Long but it allows for step back weeks . On a weekly basis there are two club sessions , a long run and a recovary run .

I find it difficult to fit in 4 runs so anymore would be a struggle!

What plan are you looking at?

• Advertisement

Looking at about a million different ones to be honest! I'll probably go for something fairly basic as it'll be my first marathon.

Advertisement