Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

PaulieC wrote: »
    I can't get the music controls to do anything and can't see anything online about it ��

I managed to get this working with my tablet as a test, I installed Garmin Connect on my Android tablet, and let the watch sync I got a pop up on the tablet asking to allow Garmin Connect to display notifications, I ticked the box beside Garmin Connect
    Once I did that under Widgets I now have Music Controls as a widget, and they work fine with my tablet.
    The up and down buttons scroll between, play/pause, next track, previous track, vol up and vol down. The start/stop button controls whichever one you have highlighted.. it's a pretty neat feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

kao123 wrote: »
    I managed to get this working with my tablet as a test, I installed Garmin Connect on my Android tablet, and let the watch sync I got a pop up on the tablet asking to allow Garmin Connect to display notifications, I ticked the box beside Garmin Connect
    Once I did that under Widgets I now have Music Controls as a widget, and they work fine with my tablet.
    The up and down buttons scroll between, play/pause, next track, previous track, vol up and vol down. The start/stop button controls whichever one you have highlighted.. it's a pretty neat feature.

Interesting. I have the music widget on the watch, which is connected to the phone - it gets notifications and syncs etc., but the music controls just don't work :(

Edit: Correction, it works on the stock music app on iOS, but not xbox music, which is what I was using.
    Edit: It doesn't work for Spotify either.

Interesting. I have the music widget on the watch, which is connected to the phone - it gets notifications and syncs etc., but the music controls just don't work :(

Edit: Correction, it works on the stock music app on iOS, but not xbox music, which is what I was using.

I had only tried it on the google play app which is the stock Android one, so at least we know that now.
    I'm sure someone will probably address the likes of Spotify with a 3rd party Connect IQ app.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You guys considered taking it for a run? :D

:D did that twice. First time was fine, recorded everything, GPS tracking was quite off. Yesterday, it recorded the wrong start time and didn't produce a map - I was worried that the reps I was doing were not accurate, but Garmin Connect verifies that they were.

Also, Garmin Connect reckons I need a software update to 3.10, but watch knows I already have it.

The Music controls are a nice to have - I'm usually listening to playlists, so they are all tracks selected by me because I like them :cool:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just FYI in case anyone is looking:

Cycle Supertore in Tallaght have them in stock for 444/463 (standard/HRM versions). That's a decent price for a B&M store. Also very decent when you see the equivalent prices for the 920 XT (481/518).

mmm - I'm eligible for the bike to work scheme again, a nice watch and a cheap mountain bike for €500 :pac:

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    mmm - I'm eligible for the bike to work scheme again, a nice watch and a cheap mountain bike for €500 :pac:

and sure it's your birthday, go for it ;)

One thing to check is, are you getting lap data on Strava. I contacted Strava support last year and they hadn't figured that out yet for the Fenix 2

Hee hee... yup just back from one actually, I'm liking it so far.
    The GPS seems to have been bang on and interestingly on the 1K laps it was very consistent with my running buddies 610 where as my 410 was never in sync with others, there was always a delay.
    Now to figure out how to use the Vo2 stuff.

The Music controls are a nice to have - I'm usually listening to playlists, so they are all tracks selected by me because I like them :cool:.
    Works fine for me on a Samsung S5,. It'll launch Google Music, and as long as there's a playlist selected or something is playing, the controls work fine.

Haven't had any problems with accuracy so far. Very Impressed with the Satellite acquire time and the instantaneous Wifi upload. Battery life is extremely impressive too. Activity track is a little....pointless. Barometric pressure, temperature, altimeter... all pretty useless.. Compass seems to work pretty well. Notifications are handy.

• Advertisement

One thing to check is, are you getting lap data on Strava. I contacted Strava support last year and they hadn't figured that out yet for the Fenix 2

I synced up to Strava as well and the laps are showing ok for me.

kao123 wrote: »
    I synced up to Strava as well and the laps are showing ok for me.

Including when doing reps? 10 x 400 for example.

Including when doing reps? 10 x 400 for example.

Oh, I haven't tried yet, I use the 1K as my laps for my runs, I haven't upped my game enough yet this year.

You mean auto-lap data, manual laps, or workouts? Auto-laps seems fine. Will try out the manual and workouts tomorrow.

You mean auto-lap data, manual laps, or workouts? Auto-laps seems fine. Will try out the manual and workouts tomorrow.

Any lap where it's not based on your standard metric or imperial set up.
    Here's the trouble ticket response I received previously, with the relevant starva and garmin links.
    Ashley, Oct 07 04:36 PM:
    Hi Dominic,

Sorry for the delay! I believe that the lap data in this device is formatted in a slightly different manner than most files. We are aware of this issue, but I'm not sure of a timeframe for a fix. In the meantime, you should be able to export the TCX version and upload it to Strava to see laps.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Ashley
    Strava Support Team

Dominic Horan, Sep 29 11:12 AM:
    Hi,

I cannot seem to view my lap data on Strava, here is tonight's session of 6 x 1min hills, but it's only recording the mile as intervals.
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/201121958
    Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/601854632

Using Fenix2.

Thanks

Dom

Actually it looks like it may have been fixed, as your Fenix 3 workouts do have a lap tab in the left hand anav, while my link above doesn't.
    Must try the Fenix 2 again in that regard.

and sure it's your birthday, go for it ;)

Picked up Mrs BB's new bike this morning ;)

Picked up Mrs BB's new bike this morning ;)

free watch ?

free watch ?

or bike, depending on what way you look at it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pulled the trigger on this in a moment of weakness. Stumbled across a 15% code bringing the price to 420.
    AF-AOSS-A9 I'd the code I used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did you get this sorted? You need to select the default music pllayer in the GC app on your phone. You can select spotify or whatever in there.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Did you get this sorted? You need to select the default music pllayer in the GC app on your phone. You can select spotify or whatever in there.

I did not, and I feel a right plonker as I cannot find the option. The widget is there on the watch and it controls the default music player, but I can't see a way to change it (on iOS).

In the GC app, press menu and there is an icon near the bottom of the screen for settings (on android anyway) Beside the question mark for help.

Personally I can't get it to connect with Bluetooth at all.

Picked up a few straps, here's the blue

16475731894_5ba606fd26_z.jpg

you actually paid for that ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

16475731894_5ba606fd26_z.jpg

Oh, dear! It was such a cool looking watch!

I'm setting a trend - looks good on, will try the red later :)

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to buy new watches. :)

100 mile summary:
    OK, I've had the watch for around 9-10 days now and have covered just under 100 miles and completed two races. Am I still happy with the purchase? Yes, absolutely. Have felt no need to charge up the 910xt (must get around to selling it).
    Do I use all of the features of the watch? Nope.......

Positives:
    Love the looks (or more specifically, being able to use it as an every-day watch).
    Love the battery life (though I have managed to nuke the battery in 24 hours (bug related)
    Recovery Advisor - surprisingly seems to be pretty reasonable
    VO2max / race predictor - can't comment on the accuracy of the Vo2max estimates, but the race predictor is surprisingly accurate for my current race stats
    Compass - may not use it, but it seems to work well.
    Wifi upload - Superb. Works a treat
    Bluetooth connectivity - A necessary evil on occasion, but I'll be leaving bluetooth turned off from now on, as I really don't need e-mail/text notifications while I'm out running
    Customisability - Massive amount of customizability
    Hiking/navigation

Negatives:
    Altimeter/Barometer/Temperature - all crap. Temperature is the temperature of the skin around your wrist. Not terribly useful.

Neutral:
    Activity tracker - Not going to wear it in bed. Not really interested in how many steps I take each day. I run enough.
    Connect IQ: Haven't found anything particularly useful

Haven't tried:
    Some other modes like indoor running, swimming (indoor/outdoor)

Bugs:
    While I haven't had any issues with activity recording, I've had a number of issues with WIFI/Bluetooth uploads and connectivity. I've had a couple of system crashes that required a soft-reset.
    If you're using multiple bluetooth devices, than a notification/event on the watch can trigger/impact the other bluetooth connected devices in unusual/unexpected ways.

• Advertisement

Good post, I've only had mine a few days but the recovery seems way off, might take a few days to settle down. Today I stopped towards the end of the run to do some stretches. Resulned the workout out but it wasn't recognizing the HR monitor. Other than that it's been fine.

Bluetooth is handy for uploading to GC when you are out and about and I like the weather widget, works very well. Can't see myself using the other widgets.

Advertisement