Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Fenix 3 in BM store in Ireland ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

No metal in the unit. Its a plastic back on the watch.

Since powering off the BT there has been no problem. Have heard of no one else having an issue but most I know turned off the notifications (or turned down to calls only) after a few days of being driven mad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

First run with 6.5 this morning, no issues to report
    Changes made from version 5.10 to 6.50:

Added support for Row App. New features include 500m pace, stroke rate, stroke count, distance per stroke, upgrades to virtual partner, stroke rate alerts, and 'every beat' metronome option. Garmin Connect support coming soon!
    Added support for Row Indoor App. New features include stroke rate, stroke count, stroke rate alerts, and 'every beat' metronome option. Garmin Connect support coming soon!
    Added support for Standup Paddleboarding (SUP) App. New features include stroke rate, stroke count, distance per stroke, upgrades to virtual partner, stroke rate alerts, and 'every beat' metronome option. Garmin Connect support coming soon!
    Added support for Golf App. New features include download of courses through Garmin Connect Mobile, distance to front/middle/back of green, layup distances, measure shot, in-round scorecard, odometer/round timer, and scorecard uploads to Garmin Connect.
    Added support for Project Waypoint App (Settings > Apps > Project Wpt).
    Added support for Tactical App (Settings > Apps > Add New).
    Added support for Jumpmaster App (Settings > Apps > Add New).
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Ground Contact Time Balance. This feature measures your running symmetry and appears as a percentage of your total ground contact time. While developing and testing running dynamics, the Garmin team found correlations between injuries and greater imbalances with certain runners. For many runners, ground contact time balance tends to deviate further from 50-50 when running up or down hills. Most running coaches agree that a symmetrical running form is good. Elite runners tend to have quick and balanced strides. You can watch the color gauge or data field during your run or view the summary on your Garmin Connect account after your run. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Stride Length. This feature measures the length of your stride from one footfall to the next. It is measured in meters. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Vertical Ratio. This feature provides the cost-benefit ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length, serving as one indicator of a runner's efficiency. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Lactate Threshold feature (Main Menu > My Stats > Lactate Threshold). This estimates the level of effort at which fatigue rapidly increases in terms of a runner's heart rate and pace. This includes the lactate threshold guided test, which is a structured activity that will output the user's lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR) and threshold pace (T-Pace). Other features include LTHR autodetect and HR zones based on %LTHR. The guided test and autodetect require a physical HR strap and can only be calculated by running outdoors. A typical LTHR value is 90% of Max HR. Unlike VO2 max, which can be calculated from HR and pace data at a variety of speeds, autodetect and the guided test requires some time during the activity where the user's HR is around their LTHR.
    Added support for the Performance Condition feature. This provides a real-time fitness-level measurement relative to a runner's average baseline, which indicates performance readiness for the day's workout or race. This feature has two parts: a popup that occurs between 6 and 20 minutes into your outdoor running or cycling activity, and a data field that displays the same information. This feature uses heart rate, heart rate variability, and pace to tell the user how well they are performing. The performance condition popup replaces the Recovery Check feature, but Recovery Time is not affected. Performance condition requires a physical HR strap.
    Added support for the Stress Score app. This uses heart rate variability to assess the user's overall physiological stress. This feature requires a physical HR strap. Devices upgrading from software versions 5.10 or earlier should see this listed in the app list if a HRM has been previously paired. Otherwise, this app can be enabled through the main menu by going to Settings > Apps > Stress Score. It is important to carefully read the instructions presented on the watch before beginning the test for best results.
    Added ABC widget which combines Altimeter, Barometer and Compass data (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view altimeter/barometer plots and compass view.
    Added Steps widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: Steps replaces the previous Wellness widget.
    Added My Day widget (Settings > Widgets).
    Added Golf widget (Settings > Widgets).
    Added Last Run widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Last Ride widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Last Swim widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Last Sport widget (Settings > Widgets). Note: press START to view history.
    Added Calories widget (Settings > Widgets).
    Added Do Not Disturb feature (press & hold LIGHT).
    Added support for a new HR gauge data screen (Settings > Apps > Activity > Data Screens > HR Gauge).
    Added support for audio lap alerts in Garmin Connect Mobile. (GCM > Garmin Devices > Fenix 3 > Audio Alerts > Lap Alerts)
    Added support for viewing GPS state before starting a workout.
    Added support for a new 'MOB' (Man Overboard) hot key option. (Settings > System > Hot Keys)
    Added support for a new 'Dual Grid' hot key option. (Settings > System > Hot Keys)
    Added new Digital watch face Layout option (showing step goal progress and move bar)
    Added new Digital watch face Seconds Style (Requires Display software v. 3.00)
    Added new Hands and Background analog watch face options (Requires Display software v. 3.00)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mine is in the process of updating.

There's a whole load of new variants added too,
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-fenix3hr-preview.html

I've been looking for a reasonably priced HRM-Run monitor and they're hard to find in the usual places, they (well the ones I checked) only seem to have the standard monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

The latest update to the fenix now supports Golf!!!

I now have no choice and will have to make a purchase soon as this is a complete all round watch for me now

The advanced running metrics require HRM-Run v6.60, this has now been pushed to the auto upload from Garmin Connect (previously you needed to install the beta file).
    The additional metrics are their from my run last night, don't know what to make of them yet :)

Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Ground Contact Time Balance. This feature measures your running symmetry and appears as a percentage of your total ground contact time. While developing and testing running dynamics, the Garmin team found correlations between injuries and greater imbalances with certain runners. For many runners, ground contact time balance tends to deviate further from 50-50 when running up or down hills. Most running coaches agree that a symmetrical running form is good. Elite runners tend to have quick and balanced strides. You can watch the color gauge or data field during your run or view the summary on your Garmin Connect account after your run. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)
    Added support for the Advanced Running Dynamics metric: Stride Length. This feature measures the length of your stride from one footfall to the next. It is measured in meters. (Requires HRM-Run v. 6.60, HRM-Tri v. 4.20)

• Advertisement

The Fenix 3 by itself gives the average stride length so what's the difference with the requirement for the HRM, accuracy? (you have that watch don't you?)
    Or is that footnote related to other units?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Fenix 3 by itself gives the average stride length so what's the difference with the requirement for the HRM, accuracy? (you have that watch don't you?)

You don't get the additional dynamic metrics (GCT & VO) without the HRM-Run.
    With the firmware update you now also get the extras quoted above.

You won't get any run dynamics without the HRM Run strap. This is where the Fenix3 HR with optical is going to let people down.

I had the beta version and it is pretty good to see the L/R contact time as a measure of balance. A few tests on a treadmill for constant pace 'showed' me landing slightly heavier or longer on the right compared to the left. My right hamstring has been tight for the last while - comfirmation more than anything else.

Yeah, I get the broader running dynamics stuff, I was wondering about the stride length though where it says support has been added, which you do get already without the HRM (as well as the cadence),

Ah with you now, sorry!

I think there is extra functionality in that a second calculation on stride length is coming from the interval between the contact phases, kinda of a back up to the cadence / pace feature off the wrist.

I'm not 100% if the watch only will give stride length, happy to be wrong - it does give pace & cadence information without HRM Run.

• Advertisement

Probably connected to this
    This feature provides the cost-benefit ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length, serving as one indicator of a runner's efficiency

sconhome wrote: »
    Ah with you now, sorry!

I think there is extra functionality in that a second calculation on stride length is coming from the interval between the contact phases, kinda of a back up to the cadence / pace feature off the wrist.

I'm not 100% if the watch only will give stride length, happy to be wrong - it does give pace & cadence information without HRM Run.

Cheers. Yeah, stride length is provided by the watch itself along with the cadence without the HRM. Seems like I'm a bit of a shuffler at the moment when you compare mine against the broader graph, but it's another metric to improve upon as the season goes on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice that the latest software update has LT paces and LT HR estimates.

do ye reckon they are in any way accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    I notice that the latest software update has LT paces and LT HR estimates.

do ye reckon they are in any way accurate?
    V02max seems to update dynamically as you go from HR workout to HR workout. The LT stats on the other hand don't. I ran a hilly park-run recently (after the firmware update) and the watch offered me the opportunity to use this workout to update my LT stats. Though I've run faster, at similar heart rates, the LT hasn't updated or offered me the opportunity to use this as my LT data, so I'm guessing that to establish a more accurate set of LT data, I'd need to go do the guided Test for 20-30 mins.

Has anyone done the guided test?

I haven't done it yet, I just let it automatically calculate it.

Is everyone having their watch appearing as a Rubber Ducky for their activities?

Is everyone having their watch appearing as a Rubber Ducky for their activities?

I had rubber ducky syndrome, but like a rash, it cleared itself up after a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

What exactly is the Performance Condition function that pops up after about 8 minutes telling me?

I know it has replaced the recovery check and according to the info above:
    This feature has two parts: a popup that occurs between 6 and 20 minutes into your outdoor running or cycling activity, and a data field that displays the same information. This feature uses heart rate, heart rate variability, and pace to tell the user how well they are performing.

But what does it mean and what should I do? e.g. if I have a negative score, does it mean I am not sufficiently recovered from my last workout? and should I dial back on my planned session or should I just expect that it will feel harder?

wrstan wrote: »
    What exactly is the Performance Condition function that pops up after about 8 minutes telling me?

I know it has replaced the recovery check and according to the info above:

But what does it mean and what should I do? e.g. if I have a negative score, does it mean I am not sufficiently recovered from my last workout? and should I dial back on my planned session or should I just expect that it will feel harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 supersplit

Anyone got any discount codes for the fenix 3 hr? I find it very hard to find the fenix 3 hr (hr monitor built into the watch itself) in general which is strange as most advertise the fenix 3 without the wrist hr function and the garmin site itself doesn't have it for sale

• Advertisement

supersplit wrote: »
    Anyone got any discount codes for the fenix 3 hr? I find it very hard to find the fenix 3 hr (hr monitor built into the watch itself) in general which is strange as most advertise the fenix 3 without the wrist hr function and the garmin site itself doesn't have it for sale

AFAIK the Fenix3 with optical HR is only on preorder and will begin shipping the first orders later this month.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    AFAIK the Fenix3 with optical HR is only on preorder and will begin shipping the first orders later this month.

Where can I pre-order do you know?

Garmin US site and REI I think, not sure when the European release is, probably 2mths after US orders start to ship.

Garmin US site and REI I think, not sure when the European release is, probably 2mths after US orders start to ship.

Yeah I noticed you can leave your email as an expression of interest! but the irish site has no mention of the fenix 3 hr! thanks for your help

I've added 'performance condition' as a data field, but have never managed to get it to actually show anything (wearing the HRM-run). Does it work for anyone else? The watch is running firmware 6.80.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It should show up after a mile or so running. I've added it but is not on the main screen so I've never gone looking for it during a run.

It usually pops up as an alert early in the run. I'll check it out on my next run though.

By the way I'm on 6.90 as of this morning.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7623

I get an occasional pop-up - usually too brief to read, but nothing on the data field. My watch updated last night (presumably to 6.80). Firmware updates seem to be fast and furious.

Yeah, mine updated to 6.8 this morning, then again to 6.90 about an hour later.

Only change of note for me is the ability to set Wifi as a Hotkey.

I'm having some problems with custom workouts and intervals.

This is from yesterday:

Intervals of 1 min each with 1 min recovery. But no laps were recorded and it didn't seem to do the intervals at all while doing the session:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1080037644

EDIT: Ignore that, I'm stupid, had warmup setup to last until I press the lap button. I'm an idiot.

Fenix 3 HR is available to order now from Irish retailers with delivery promised in the next few weeks (no confirmed date yet).

The only option currently listed is the Fenix 3 Sapphire HR with black silicon strap at €615. Performer bundle is €666. (AFAIK the HRM Run is included with this as well as the optical)

• Advertisement

I've added 'performance condition' as a data field, but have never managed to get it to actually show anything (wearing the HRM-run). Does it work for anyone else? The watch is running firmware 6.80.

It should do, at least on the 620 and from reading the forums previously should change during a run as it receives more data I presume.

Have just added to my HR data screen, so will check this evening.

Advertisement