Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

^^^^^ He does have it tough, poor Michael.

I'd say he has it hard alright.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mike Murphy largely disappeared, having been very prominent at one stage.
    Then there was yer wan that became the Barrister.

He has a new podcast show doing a series of interviews with Irish public figures.

I always thought it was a shame he didn't take over the Late Late Show when Gaybo retired. He was wasted on Wining Streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He has a new podcast show doing a series of interviews with Irish public figures.

I always thought it was a shame he didn't take over the Late Late Show when Gaybo retired. He was wasted on Wining Streak.

Didn't he have a heart attack ,poor health for a number of year s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Mike announced he was ending 'The Live Mike', live, and on air, without telling any of the higher ups beforehand.

Gay Byrne told him he had pretty much killed his career.

After that, RTE clipped his wings. He probably would have taken over the Late Late, or gotten his own Chatshow on Saturday night.
    Instead they put him in Winning Streak. And he was 'quietly' replaced when his health wasn't great.

No option to return-just replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

And look what we got instead ....... Pat "the Plank" Kenny.

• Advertisement

Pat was still a damn sight better than Ray D'Arcy, or Ryan Tubridy.

You wouldn't find Pat interviewing a high profile guest and going 'My wife think's you're GAWR-JUSS' like Ray did with that lawyer interview.
    Or the rather infamous 'Jack Nicholson' impersonator incident, where Ray brought him on pretending he was the legit article.

Pat had to take a day off when his mother passed away (a very legitimate reason, I'm not mocking Pat). Tubridy took 3 weeks off with a man flu. :rolleyes:

Remember that guy from Dublin who was in either the first or second series of MTVs The Real World circa 1992? It seemed a big deal at the time. Little did we know we'd go on to be bombarded with reality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Remember that guy from Dublin who was in either the first or second series of MTVs The Real World circa 1992? It seemed a big deal at the time. Little did we know we'd go on to be bombarded with reality TV.

Vaguely remember him. Skinny, dark hair, piercings. Seemed a decent enough type.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pat K best current affairs broadcaster this country has had in the last 30 years imho.

Still doing a class act on Newstalk day in day out.

branie2 wrote: »
    Two Anything Goes presenters: David Heffernan and Kathy Parke.

Kathy Parke was also a presenter on Let's Go. That was a sports related show for young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was she a teacher in a comprehensive school, or was that Mary Davis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Anna the ex-nun from BB. She was a presenter for a while and thn she vanished.

And thank God for that... she was awful as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She was never a nun in the first place. That was just sh1te propagated by the likes of the Scum paper. She started study and dropped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think she might have a column in the Herald.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Pat K best current affairs broadcaster this country has had in the last 30 years imho.

Still doing a class act on Newstalk day in day out.

Pat Kenny gave Michael Noonan free reign to relaunch his career on Frontline, Nothing could forgive him for allowing that creature to revive

Pat Kenny gave Michael Noonan free reign to relaunch his career on Frontline, Nothing could forgive him for allowing that creature to revive

Oh if we're going to give the media s**t for allowing an individual to triumph, look at how venerated the likes of Leo and Simon are, to name a few.

Leo we were told was this 'young, fresh, up to date' politician... oh, and gay too-to appeal to the woke crowd.

What he actually was was an old fogey in all but body. His opinions, his policies, his actions... he's more doddering and old fashioned than the supposed 'old' politicians he replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

She’s a producer in RTÉ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lads head to the politics forum if you want to start criticising politicians. This is not the place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

She’s a producer in RTÉ.
    That seems to be where 99% of presenters end up. I suppose rte want fresh faces from time to time so the old heads are shooed into production jobs to make way for the new ones.

• Advertisement

A good number of people are not all that comfortable in the limelight or front of camera. They train up inhouse and go behind the camera instead. Far less stressful IWT.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Craig Doyle, he used to some type of Saturday night show once upon a time

That seems to be where 99% of presenters end up. I suppose rte want fresh faces from time to time so the old heads are shooed into production jobs to make way for the new ones.

Well, the real money is behind the scenes-production, formats and so on. Before the quarantine, it used to be a sure fire money maker.

(By the by, wasn't there an advert for some 'Ask Anna' type of reboot show? I remember seeing the advert, and then it disappeared. I'd swear this was before 2020. Did it not get any response? I recognised Anna's voice in the advert.)
    I imagine Nolan quitting The Afternoon Show, citing 'didn't want to be talking about cakes' and then going on to 'The Great Irish Bake Off' probably miffed some of the higher ups.
    banoffe2 wrote: »

Craig came into RTE when it was starting to get even more unprofessional. The monkey's took over the zoo. His ego took a bashing from all the s**t RTE put him in. But he's the narrator for that show with the Brennan brothers.

Craig was sort of like the Seoige's- not matter where you put him, he wasn't well liked.
    He was also the guy who sent plenty of shows to the graveyard.
    Water John wrote: »
    A good number of people are not all that comfortable in the limelight or front of camera. They train up inhouse and go behind the camera instead. Far less stressful IWT.

Well, Anna always seemed awkward in front of the camera (especially live stuff). I imagine she'd make more money behind the scenes, tbh.

banoffe2 wrote: »

He was everywhere mid to late 00s. Never liked him, totally in love with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Doyle is all across ITV. I used to see him in Dublin and/or Heathrow airports at least once a week when I travelled a lot to the UK for work.

He’s all still doing RTE work, he does the voiceover on a number of shows.

Are there two Doyle brothers? Does the other one do sports commentary?
    Why is that in my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Water John wrote: »
    Are there two Doyle brothers? Does the other one do sports commentary?
    Why is that in my head?

craig does sport presenting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

craig does sport presenting as well.

I think he also did the little promo video they show lottery winners when they're in HQ collecting their money. Probably the only time I could stand the smug git.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Doyle does a lot of rugby coverage for BT.

That "Secret Producer", that was leaking all the RTE stuff a couple of years back, alleged that Doyle was given numerous chances with awful shows by some Producer sort that thought the sun shone out of Doyle's arse.

• Advertisement

Doyle does a lot of rugby coverage for BT.

That "Secret Producer", that was leaking all the RTE stuff a couple of years back, alleged that Doyle was given numerous chances with awful shows by some Producer sort that thought the sun shone out of Doyle's arse.

Yeah, even Graham Linehan chimed in about that producer (The guy is also still employed at RTE, in entertainment).

Apparently the guy who loved Doyle was a total plonker. He messed around with programs in order to put his name on them, even if the show turned out to be utter crap. (It's why Doyle was shoved into the Panel, among other shows).
    If his name wasn't attached to a show, it meant it was good.

IF his name WAS attached to a show-it was utterly crap. That, and, according to Linehan (someone I'm not a fan of, but this tidbit was interesting) there was no way you could get a response or an email from him. Completely inept at his job.
    But RTE kept him on.

Advertisement