Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

She'd gotten clean by then. But she was sooooooo boring.

I'd say there's still a delivery guy who brings cocaine to RTE.

Ugh, ex junkies how boring! Nothing worse than an ex junkie spouting moral philosophy on addictions and other crap. Give me an addict with a sorrid story and a tale of debauchery any day. I am looking at you Peter O Toole, Richard Harris, Ollie Reed and Richard Burton.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Water John wrote: »
    Does Saoirse McHugh now qualify for his thread?

Is there anything after Z-list?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ugh, ex junkies how boring! Nothing worse than an ex junkie spouting moral philosophy on addictions and other crap. Give me an addict with a sorrid story and a tale of debauchery any day. I am looking at you Peter O Toole, Richard Harris, Ollie Reed and Richard Burton.

Skooter, in that case, you're dead. Just want to know which Dept you ended up in?

Is there anything after Z-list?

have you looked at ex stars or Irish reality TV from 5 years back or more?

"Do you know who I am?"

Skooter, in that case, you're dead. Just want to know which Dept you ended up in?

Trust me I am one of the most boring people you meet, but that is not my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Liz Bonnin I think she used to present off the rails years ago.

screamer wrote: »

I remember her! she was a model and had a science degree from UCD/DCU?
    Presented a future science program and how we would have all been better under nuclear fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the liz bonnin who has worked for the BBC consistently for the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Think she has a gig with BBC doing some wildlife / nature docos.
    That rare ex RTE presenter who went onto bigger and better things.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

We'll turn the cringe meter up to 11, Bernard McHugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That guy from Donegal who was on Blind Date? Very strange man.

No, just STOP, that was uncalled for! I didnt know who he was before I looked him up. People dont look it up, you cannot unsee, a horror on the eyes and a cringe upon the soul.

Portrays himself as a ladies man, pictured with Daniel ODonnell? Closet boy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

That guy from Donegal who was on Blind Date? Very strange man.

The 29 year old fish gutter, turned stripper.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Think she has a gig with BBC doing some wildlife / nature docos.
    That rare ex RTE presenter who went onto bigger and better things.

Shane O'Donoughue (sport) now on CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Does Saoirse McHugh now qualify for his thread?

God... the drama queen, lazy way she announced she was leaving the Green Party... a flipping twitter thread.

The media seemed to love her, but the average voter could see she was great on 'soundbites', scarce on anything else.

She'll probably try to go independent, but I have a suspicion she'll become one of those 'talking heads' you see on tv moralising at everyone, but offering no solutions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RTE are repeating some of Gaybo's Late Late interviews. It was interesting to see the audience interaction, with questions for the guests - even taking questions over the phone for the interview with Brendan Gleeson.

Don't think Tubs would have the guts to do that.
    I remember her! she was a model and had a science degree from UCD/DCU?
    Presented a future science program and how we would have all been better under nuclear fuel?

She does a lot of a nature/science stuff for BBC. And yeah, why the ? around nuclear fuel?

RTE are repeating some of Gaybo's Late Late interviews. It was interesting to see the audience interaction, with questions for the guests - even taking questions over the phone for the interview with Brendan Gleeson.

Don't think Tubs would have the guts to do that.

She does a lot of a nature/science stuff for BBC. And yeah, why the ? around nuclear fuel?

Liz Bonnin also had a failed singing career. I find that kind of funny-not in a mean, schadenfreude kinda way, more in the 'imagine if David Attenborough was in a successful boyband, and left it to become a renowned wildlife expert'.

http://www.exquisite.ie/liz-bonnin-from-girlband-failure-to-serious-natural-life-expert/

But she's pretty prolific, hardly dissappeared.

Attenborough was very senior management in the BBC. Career switches would be an interesting thread.
    Harrison Ford and Irish singer Larry Cunningham were carpenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'd be pretty confident that's the first time those two names appeared in the same sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Velcro Girl!

Attenborough was very senior management in the BBC. Career switches would be an interesting thread.

With Attenborough, it was more moving laterally-not changing. Ford was a carpenter because he was having trouble finding acting roles. He just did it to pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Anyone who ever appeared on Bill & Jackie's Apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Velcro Girl!
    She's married to Dave Moore of Dermot & Dave on Today FM. Rake of kids on the go these days

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

That's a good one Radio 5, never heard a word about any of them

Bill and Jackie gone off the radar also, that "I know it all attitude" didn't help them!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Radio5 wrote: »
    Anyone who ever appeared on Bill & Jackie's Apprentice.

I actually saw two of them in the last 6 months. "yer wan" Geraldine from Moore Street/daughter of traders etc., and Aoiffe with two f's; both in Dublin City Centre.

My standout moment from the series was when the Interviewer from Brightwater asked Geraldine:
    What makes Bill tick?

And Geraldine replied:
    I tink wat makes Bill tick is when he says sometin' to ya, and den you do de opposite ta dat, dja know whor I mean?

(or words to that effect)
    Whilst I found it funny at the time, I also thought it was a little cruel to leave it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,925 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Bill and Jackie gone off the radar also, that "I know it all attitude" didn't help them!

Their motor-trade and hotel business were put into receivership in 2012/2013 ... I'd say after that the spotlight moved on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Andrea Roche, former model and owner of model agency, was married to one of the Mansfields, used to be on TV a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BbSean

My mum was walking down a street in Tyrone one market day and this guy was standing under an umbrella with a few dvd or cd’s on a stool. He made eye contact and said hello. She said he looked familiar and on the way home the penny dropped, it was Bernard! Must have been well over 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

Olli Rehn

Advertisement