Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

1968 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old comment but came across this in the newspaper archives and thought it was relevant.

Wexford People 01 December 1988 - Page 19

"The death took place in London last week of Philip Tyler, who was son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Fred Tyler, formerly of Rosslare Harbour. Philip was well known to RTE Television viewers for his role on the 'Bosco' programme and had been doing television work in London for some time. His late father had been British Railways (Sealink) agent at Rosslare Harbour while his mother was the late Susan Todd of Rosslare Harbour. There will be a memorial service in Dublin on Saturday."

He couldn't have been too old if he presented Bosco and died in 1988. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

1968 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old comment but came across this in the newspaper archives and thought it was relevant.

Wexford People 01 December 1988 - Page 19

"The death took place in London last week of Philip Tyler, who was son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Fred Tyler, formerly of Rosslare Harbour. Philip was well known to RTE Television viewers for his role on the 'Bosco' programme and had been doing television work in London for some time. His late father had been British Railways (Sealink) agent at Rosslare Harbour while his mother was the late Susan Todd of Rosslare Harbour. There will be a memorial service in Dublin on Saturday."

Probably what happened to many gay men from that time "succumbed to complications from pneumonia".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

probably early 30s when he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He was still doing Bosco up to 1983 at least, some episodes up on YT and he looks young enough. Can't link as on phone. I don't remember his death being announced at all in RTE or any of the national media at the time. At least this confirms it.

I don't remember his death being announced at all in RTE or any of the national media at the time. At least this confirms it.

People didnt want to know about it then. People were buried in metal coffins and the graves limed. Some Undertakers refused to handle funerals. Those were the times then and very little was known about AIDS back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

People didnt want to know about it then. People were buried in metal coffins and the graves limed. Some Undertakers refused to handle funerals. Those were the times then and very little was known about AIDS back then.

What was quite surprising to me was he wasn't the only (closeted) gay presenter on Bosco.

Frank Twomey came out years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

what a heartwrenching video.

Remember that magician fella "Gemini" ? He used to pop up the odd time on RTE in the 80's. Small guy with curly hair.

Remember that magician fella "Gemini" ? He used to pop up the odd time on RTE in the 80's. Small guy with curly hair.

Before my time, so I had to google him.

Is this him?

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/magic-that-lit-up-the-lives-of-many-especially-children-26948651.html

Sadly yes and it sounded like he lived a wonderfully fulfilled life.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's him. He used to appear from time to time on those Saturday morning g kids shows on RTE, maybe Anything Goes and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

stephen gaytely

Banned

stephen gaytely

You mean Stephen Gately? the boyzone lad? he died choking on his vomit ..... very very sad event. Someone suggested in the media, his partner left him that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

stephen gaytely

oooh, you're edgy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

oooh, you're edgy

Not edgy. Just a dick

You mean Stephen Gately? the boyzone lad? he died choking on his vomit ..... very very sad event. Someone suggested in the media, his partner left him that way.

Wasn't death by choking on vomit. It was a pulmonary edema, from an undiagnosed congenital heart condition.

Just returning to Philip Tyler, anyone know did he appear in anything else on RTE outside of Bosco? IMDB shows he was in an early 80s Irish movie called Criminal Conversation.

Teresa Smith who along with Kevin Sharkey was one of the few mixed race faces on RTE in the late 80s/early 90s. She used to appear on some of the Saturday morning youth shows. Is still with RTE as a producer.

Wasn't death by choking on vomit. It was a pulmonary edema, from an undiagnosed congenital heart condition.

Seen and i stand corrected.Just read up about it. I had something else going on in my own life at that time, that is probably why I didnt follow up the story. It appears to have caused an amount of bad vibes within the media for sensationalised reporting.

Just returning to Philip Tyler, anyone know did he appear in anything else on RTE outside of Bosco? IMDB shows he was in an early 80s Irish movie called Criminal Conversation.

He was probably in RTE before his time and would have made a great childrens day time presenter. Not knocking Ian Dempsey or Ray D'arcy who kept us all entertained in the 1980's with Zig and Zag.

• Advertisement

Seen and i stand corrected.Just read up about it. I had something else going on in my own life at that time, that is probably why I didnt follow up the story. It appears to have caused an amount of bad vibes within the media for sensationalised reporting.

Some Journo went and wrote some nasty stuff about him when he died, I think trying to start a conspiracy theory thing or whatever.

It was pretty nasty.

Some Journo went and wrote some nasty stuff about him when he died, I think trying to start a conspiracy theory thing or whatever.

It was pretty nasty.

I do remember that bit. To be honest, it did look odd. Coming back from a night club a couple with new friend and they all sleep in separate rooms and one of them has died in the morning.

It might have seemed odd for a guy his age to die suddenly like that but the same thing happened actor Richard Beckinsale (Porridge, Rising Damp).He died out of the blue from an undiagnosed heart condition at the age of 31, it's rare but not unprecedented.

It might have seemed odd for a guy his age to die suddenly like that but the same thing happened actor Richard Beckinsale (Porridge, Rising Damp).He died out of the blue from an undiagnosed heart condition at the age of 31, it's rare but not unprecedented.

I am talking about the situation if you arrived on the scene. It does look a bit irregular!!! Now the autopsy told a different story but you do have to ask questions what went on the night before. I am not a big fan of Gerald Keane the solicitor. He is a guy who is always moving in the background. He got Cecelia Ahernes boyfriend off at the time when he was accused of rape at an American campus and it was hushed up. He was over there on an athletic scholarship.

These guys are all smile and chat on the TV, when you get to know a few of these people, there is no end they wont go to intimidate and suggest consequences.

I am talking about the situation if you arrived on the scene. It does look a bit irregular!!! Now the autopsy told a different story but you do have to ask questions what went on the night before. I am not a big fan of Gerald Keane the solicitor. He is a guy who is always moving in the background. He got Cecelia Ahernes boyfriend off at the time when he was accused of rape at an American campus and it was hushed up. He was over there on an athletic scholarship.

These guys are all smile and chat on the TV, when you get to know a few of these people, there is no end they wont go to intimidate and suggest consequences.

Oh that piece of s**t....:mad::mad::mad:

He had more than one accusation thrown his way. This link is behind a paywall, but all you need to see is the first paragraph.
    He got into some 'trouble' in Poland years before that-where a female athlete complained about his behaviour, and he was sent home..

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cecilias-hurdler-disciplined-at-camp-f6rdfpbxjxg

Keoghan isn't her boyfriend anymore-she married the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

You wouldn't hear much about Michael Fassbender these days. Career gone very quiet, even before the corona virus shut everything down.

You wouldn't hear much about Michael Fassbender these days. Career gone very quiet, even before the corona virus shut everything down.

He's in lockdown with Alicia Vikander....

The poor soul-thoughts and prayers... ;)

alicia-vikander-photo-of-big-boobs_2908_11_smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^^^^ He does have it tough, poor Michael.

^^^^^ He does have it tough, poor Michael.

Listen, our Lord gave us all our cross to bear, the best we can do is try to have a little dignity while carrying it. Its probably him, her, a bottle of 18 year old MacCallen and knowing his luck sky have cut off the subscription. What is a boy to do?

• Advertisement

Listen, our Lord gave us all our cross to bear, the best we can do is try to have a little dignity while carrying it. Its probably him, her, a bottle of 18 year old MacCallen and knowing his luck sky have cut off the subscription. What is a boy to do?

#PrayforMichael

Advertisement