Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Remember the RTE insider who was revealing secrets from Donnybrook? The big wigs were going mad trying to find out who it was.
    Who was it, was it ever revealed?

Why did the insider stop posting revelations?

They said nothing that wasn't known to everyone with even a passing interest in media too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

So that is why Dave Mc Savage used to make a skit so often about her on the savage eye?

That skit seemed be both a parody of Blathnaid, and Miriam O'Callaghan, in my eyes.
    Either way, it was ALWAYS hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Brendan Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Brendan Kilkenny
    Probably landed himself in hospital trying his signature scissor-kick :pac:

What about the RTE weather presenter who used to wear the kinky outfits, older lady, quite attractive. Joan something maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Jean Byrne. She's there all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

sligojoek wrote: »
    Jean Byrne. She's there all the time
    Oh is she? I haven't seen her do the weather in ages. I think of her as the Irish Xena-Warrior Princess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

What time is Lottie Ryan's turn for this??

Geebag

That skit seemed be both a parody of Blathnaid, and Miriam O'Callaghan, in my eyes.
    Either way, it was ALWAYS hilarious. :D

I am not so sure Montrose is the liberal arts and intelligencia utopia is it is made out to be. I think Dave McSavage upset their image and that is why he is banned from all state broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What time is Lottie Ryan's turn for this??

Geebag

Well after the fix over the weekend be prepared to have her rammed down your throat 24/7 now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Oh is she? I haven't seen her do the weather in ages. I think of her as the Irish Xena-Warrior Princess :D

Think I saw her on during the week,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Think I saw her on during the week,

She was definitely on during the week.
    Dressed in tight, black leather or pvc
    Looked like Batman's mam

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She's on the news right now

I am not so sure Montrose is the liberal arts and intelligencia utopia is it is made out to be. I think Dave McSavage upset their image and that is why he is banned from all state broadcasters.

He's not banned-I believe you'll catch him on the radio every so often.

Also, the Boomtown Rats documentary a few nights back-that was McSavage in the Mask, pulling the crate/ palette of stuff or whatever it was.

(I'm not even joking).

He's not banned-I believe you'll catch him on the radio every so often.

Also, the Boomtown Rats documentary a few nights back-that was McSavage in the Mask, pulling the crate/ palette of stuff or whatever it was.

(I'm not even joking).

No I didnt see it. Last night to watch the Taoiseachs speech was the first time in years I watched anything on RTE.

I thought McSavage was banned from RTE. I am not saying he was wrong or doesnt have a score to settle with a load of people because is he is a well balanced individual with a chip on each shoulder but his list of "Gettin' Even with" is MASSIVE :
    • Irish Establishment
    • Irish Government
    • Monarchy
    • Irish Catholic Church
    • Club of Rome
    • Banks
    • Civil Servants
    • Health Service
    • Guards
    • Cavan men
    • Tipperary men
    • The Irish Army
    • Teachers
    • Farmers
    • Business men
    • Travellers
    • Junkies
    • RTE (includes Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy, Miriam OCallaghan, Blanaid Ni Coffaigh)
    • The Quaresss (they are the worst when they are a ridin')!!!

IF you arent on that list or something on that list doesnt affect you then you arent a properly functioning member of Irish society.

No I didnt see it. Last night to watch the Taoiseachs speech was the first time in years I watched anything on RTE.

I thought McSavage was banned from RTE. I am not saying he was wrong or doesnt have a score to settle with a load of people because is he is a well balanced individual with a chip on each shoulder but his list of "Gettin' Even with" is MASSIVE :
    • Irish Establishment
    • Irish Government
    • Monarchy
    • Irish Catholic Church
    • Club of Rome
    • Banks
    • Civil Servants
    • Health Service
    • Guards
    • Cavan men
    • Tipperary men
    • The Irish Army
    • Teachers
    • Farmers
    • Business men
    • Travellers
    • Junkies
    • RTE (includes Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy, Miriam OCallaghan, Blanaid Ni Coffaigh)
    • The Quaresss (they are the worst when they are a ridin')!!!

IF you arent on that list or something on that list doesnt affect you then you arent a properly functioning member of Irish society.

Yeah, but he can walk back into RTE for two reasons - one, his dad used to be in Fianna Fail. And two, his cousin's Ryan Tubridy.

Yeah, but he can walk back into RTE for two reasons - one, his dad used to be in Fianna Fail. And two, his cousin's Ryan Tubridy.

But Fupp!!! That is one long list of people to have a gripe with.
    ITs not having a laugh at people simply. There is a certain amount of "Hahahaha ,ya cnut!", and its directed at certain prominent people too. Its not like Mario Rosetock humour where you can see how it is funny.

That old Fianna Fail bridge is well burned with RTE at this stage. I have to say I love the guys show but I wouldnt like to be his neighbour. There is a whole horrible history there in the background that we dont see.

But Fupp!!! That is one long list of people to have a gripe with.
    ITs not having a laugh at people simply. There is a certain amount of "Hahahaha ,ya cnut!", and its directed at certain prominent people too. Its not like Mario Rosetock humour where you can see how it is funny.

That old Fianna Fail bridge is well burned with RTE at this stage. I have to say I love the guys show but I wouldnt like to be his neighbour. There is a whole horrible history there in the background that we dont see.

You'd think so. But rte will happily lick Fianna Fail's Coronavirus covered hands if it gives em extra money.

'The license fee doesn't pay for everything'... they've played that same tune for decades now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Saw him do standup a couple of months ago and he seemed jaded and bitter. It was a slightly uncomfortable experience as he was nasty to certain sections of the audience. Compared that to when I saw him 15 years ago when he was hilarious.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Saw him do standup a couple of months ago and he seemed jaded and bitter. It was a slightly uncomfortable experience as he was nasty to certain sections of the audience. Compared that to when I saw him 15 years ago when he was hilarious.

That's a shame. I know he went thru a pretty major marriage breakup a few years which soured his comedic outlook.
    Then there was his 'stance' over the TV license which felt less like a 'stance' and more like he was broke.
    I think he was dating some actress for a while as well, and that didn't last too long either.
    It was pretty high profile compared to his breakup.

Still-sad to see what he became. He used to be more upbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

Myself and the missus saw him at a gig before Christmas and it was a great night, thought he was very funny, but there was an older couple sitting close to us and I'm not sure how some of the material went down! I'd love to see him again.

That's a shame. I know he went thru a pretty major marriage breakup a few years which soured his comedic outlook.
    Then there was his 'stance' over the TV license which felt less like a 'stance' and more like he was broke.
    I think he was dating some actress for a while as well, and that didn't last too long either.
    It was pretty high profile compared to his breakup.

Still-sad to see what he became. He used to be more upbeat.

Once you come off the "Golden Teat" (RTE) then its a long way and bitter way down. A few relationship break ups at that age will really grind your gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

RTE is a nest of nepotism. I have a grudging respect for McSavage as even though he probably benefited from it, his humour is genuinely provocative and subversive at times, though not to everyone's taste. He is a person with a degree of moral courage, as given his background he would have had an easier life as an accountant or solicitor (the usual jobs of the progeny of the 'Great and the Good'), but he chose a different path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Guess what other well-known and RTE-linked organisation is a nest of corruption and nepotism? Guess who the whistleblower there is - the only one, so far?

Once you come off the "Golden Teat" (RTE) then its a long way and bitter way down. A few relationship break ups at that age will really grind your gears.

I know folks who's marriages split up far sooner than his. It's rough.
    Especially when one partner was unfaithful.

I suppose if there's kids in the picture, it makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ian Harte the actor, I know technically he's not Irish but he's often appeared in Irish films and played Irish characters. Don't see him onscreen much these days, he used to be fairly high profile for a while in the 90s/early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,926 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ian Harte the actor, I know technically he's not Irish but he's often appeared in Irish films and played Irish characters. Don't see him onscreen much these days, he used to be fairly high profile for a while in the 90s/early 00s.

Still active, though perhaps he has aged somewhat you may not recognise him... he had a major supporting role as the priest in The Last Kingdom and he was in The Terror.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Still active, though perhaps he has aged somewhat you may not recognise him... he had a major supporting role as the priest in The Last Kingdom and he was in The Terror.

He was also in that Mary Queen of Scots movie with Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

He was also in that Mary Queen of Scots movie with Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie.

He's just been in Noughts and Crosses on BBC1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Arbie wrote: »
    A Hot Press article from 2007 refers to him as "the late Philip Tyler" but no mention of when/how he died

http://www.hotpress.com/archive/2931306.html

Sorry to bump an old comment but came across this in the newspaper archives and thought it was relevant.

Wexford People 01 December 1988 - Page 19

"The death took place in London last week of Philip Tyler, who was son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Fred Tyler, formerly of Rosslare Harbour. Philip was well known to RTE Television viewers for his role on the 'Bosco' programme and had been doing television work in London for some time. His late father had been British Railways (Sealink) agent at Rosslare Harbour while his mother was the late Susan Todd of Rosslare Harbour. There will be a memorial service in Dublin on Saturday."

Advertisement