Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Oh God-I wonder will it delve into how horrible Twink is?

You know Brendan Grace isnt so well? She claims in her book they were great friends where she describes him as "her rock". Poor man was probably trapped in some shoddy dance hall dressing room while she regaled the curtains with stories about how great Brendan Boyer and herself were in Vegas all them years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭flazio

branie2 wrote: »
    Alan Cantwell, of TV3 (Now Virgin One) News and before that Clare FM

Not sure he was with Clare FM specifically but more with an old news organisation which called itself IRN and INN which produced on the hour national news for local radio stations such as Clare FM, Galway Bay FM, Shannon side, Midlands Radio 3 etc. That's certainly where he was just prior to joining TV3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Does Mike Murphy make much appearances anywhere now? Got a soft gig with RTE, might probably make an appearance on that Twink documentary.
    But outside of that-seems to be taking it easy.

And another one-Sinead Desmond, former Ireland Am presenter. She's gone underground, it seems.

He has furniture shops now doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You know Brendan Grace isnt so well? She claims in her book they were great friends where she describes him as "her rock". Poor man was probably trapped in some shoddy dance hall dressing room while she regaled the curtains with stories about how great Brendan Boyer and herself were in Vegas all them years ago.

Brendan worked with her on Play the Game as captain of the men's team before Derek Davis took over.

flazio wrote: »
    Not sure he was with Clare FM specifically but more with an old news organisation which called itself IRN and INN which produced on the hour national news for local radio stations such as Clare FM, Galway Bay FM, Shannon side, Midlands Radio 3 etc. That's certainly where he was just prior to joining TV3

I often heard him on Clare FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He has furniture shops now doesn't he?

He got hit hard by the property collapse (as did Gay Byrne) so of course RTE gave him a show to help him out with his debts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Yeah Russel something. A bastard

As far as I know Russell Murphy, Gaybo's accountant, is Eoghan Murphy's grandfather.

Two Anything Goes presenters: David Heffernan and Kathy Parke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Speedsie wrote: »
    As far as I know Russell Murphy, Gaybo's accountant, is Eoghan Murphy's grandfather.

Didn't know that.
    And Eoghan is the brother of Cillian (Cillian Scott is his stage-name) of Love/Hate fame....

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sex-politics-drama-law-all-in-the-family-30638849.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Didnt Andrew Strong do a Coca Cola ad? I thought he did

He did indeed, its in this adbreak halfways in.

• Advertisement

Is there nothing to be said for Michael Shimaoka?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is there nothing to be said for Michael Shimaoka?

Had to Google him. Not much in answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The band Ash.

They are still around and touring. I saw them in Belfast last year and their latest album Islands is cracking :)

Had to Google him. Not much in answer to your question.

but he did have his golden moment....... "not tubular dude!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Pamela Flood after she realised she didn't have a mortgage to pay.

Two Anything Goes presenters: David Heffernan and Kathy Parke.

Dave's working in production, his son is an actor (he was in Love/Hate), his niece is Thalia Heffernan, the model.
    Oh, and his brother is a producer as well, and his twin.

I believe Kathy Parke is a producer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Dare I say.....sil fox?

Dare I say.....sil fox?

Too soon-too soon.

And for anyone who doesn't know why, google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Dare I say.....sil fox?

Too soon-too soon.

And for anyone who doesn't know why, google it.
    Ha. Apparently hes 86 years old. !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The older the goat the harder the horn.

• Advertisement

I read about that recently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dave's working in production, his son is an actor (he was in Love/Hate), his niece is Thalia Heffernan, the model.
    Oh, and his brother is a producer as well, and his twin.

I believe Kathy Parke is a producer as well.

His son is also alan partridges personal trainer

The Thrills. I looked it up and one of them is working for Linkedin.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Possibly the last Irish band to have a number one album in the UK? Some fall from grace...

Possibly the last Irish band to have a number one album in the UK? Some fall from grace...

I don't think they were the last.

But they were very vapid. Music changed and evolved-they weren't relevant any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Another band that came out around the same time, blazed very brightly and then disappeared from view were HAL.

Very catchy songs, incredibly radio-friendly - their song 'Play the hits' was the theme of 'Match of the Day' or some other BBC programme for a while.

They were all over the place for a brief while, and then were nowhere to be seen. They released some songs again a few years ago (which were quite good), but I don't think they managed to make much a go of it second time around. Which is a pity, as they were a very good band.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Another band that came out around the same time, blazed very brightly and then disappeared from view were HAL.

Very catchy songs, incredibly radio-friendly - their song 'Play the hits' was the theme of 'Match of the Day' or some other BBC programme for a while.

They were all over the place for a brief while, and then were nowhere to be seen. They released some songs again a few years ago (which were quite good), but I don't think they managed to make much a go of it second time around. Which is a pity, as they were a very good band.

Its possible that those bands were signed and promoted like previous bands however this was the era of bands making NO money from album sales so LinkedIn would have been the better career choice.

The boy band OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The boy band OTT
    I never liked them. Always thought they were over the top.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

The boy band OTT

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-boyband-star-told-to-pay-2000-over-sex-assault-on-dancefloor-35053936.html

They got p**s poor money according to that article, and nothing in terms of royalties.

I remember hearing one em talking about his time in the group-you're meant to be raking it in, with hits in IReland, and the UK. Instead, he'd have to ask to borrow 20 quid to get a few pints and a taxi.

According to wikipedia, one of em's in interior design, the other runs a multimedia company, and the other one's in America.
    And then there's yer man above... eep.

Advertisement